PDA

View Full Version : Question on Bolts

Blitzm4
10-25-09, 17:40
If I purchase lets say a BCM BCG and Bolt will they have to be headspaced before I could use the weapon? If I get a complete upper with all parts included is that done at the time of sale? I know I am just starting out on this adventure. Thanks.

Captains1911
10-25-09, 18:42
If I purchase lets say a BCM BCG and Bolt will they have to be headspaced before I could use the weapon? If I get a complete upper with all parts included is that done at the time of sale? I know I am just starting out on this adventure. Thanks.

No need to check headspace for a new barrel and new bolt.

Iraqgunz
10-25-09, 20:07
Generally speaking, No. However anyone can produce a lemon so there is always a chance that you could get a bad barrel or bolt. It's so easy to do, I just don't know why there is such resistance to it. If the gage was hard to find then I would wing it. But, they are available and they are well within budget.

Blankwaffe
10-25-09, 20:45
I had the same procrastination issue with headspace on the AR up until about a year ago.Aggravated poor ole Grant to absolute death about it forever.Then Iraqgunz kicked me in the head and pointed out how,where and why on the USGI field gage.Best $30.00 Ive spent to date on tools.
As far as buying the components all at once...yeah if you buy a complete upper and BCG from BCM I'd say your more than likely 100% good to go as is since Paul has a very keen eye ball for such details,and test fires to verify fit and function of his products.
The problem comes from mixing questionable components,at best,with quality components like BCM.Might be some tolerance stacks,boo boo's or what have you which is more closely related to the poor or unknown quality parts.
Checking headspace is just a normal step in the inspection and safety checks of the weapon.
Im using LMT and BCM bolts in LMT,BCM,Noveske and Armalite uppers.Ive yet to see any of the upper and bolt combinations not fall well within the headspace requirement.
Only issue Ive had with changing/upgrading BCG's is with gas tube and carrier key alignment which is easily adjusted as well.

Safetyhit
10-25-09, 20:52
If I get a complete upper with all parts included is that done at the time of sale?

While the BCG does not come with the upper, you will not need to worry much about it if you buy all BCM.

Quib
10-25-09, 21:14
Only issue Ive had with changing/upgrading BCG's is with gas tube and carrier key alignment which is easily adjusted as well.

.......:)

Blankwaffe
10-25-09, 21:30
.......:)

Quib,
I have to say again that the tutorial and notes you did on gas tube and carrier key inspection/adjustment is simply outstanding.

Quib
10-25-09, 21:45
Quib,
I have to say again that the tutorial and notes you did on gas tube and carrier key inspection/adjustment is simply outstanding.

Thank you Sir. :)