PDA

View Full Version : MRE expiration?

citizensoldier16
10-25-09, 22:44
Okay, after an exhaustive Google search, I've come up with a VAST range of information/opinions on this matter...anywhere from 3 to 25 years. So I figure I'd throw the question up on the board.

How long are MREs supposed to be good for? I have access to about 20 cases (12 meals per case) of MREs for free. Hitch is, they're a little older. They are marked "Property of US Government" as well as "Packaged 11/1998" Since then, they have been kept in a climate controlled above-ground warehouse at approx 65 to 70 degrees.

Are these MREs still servicable for TEOTWAWKI preparations? I intend to keep around 4-5 cases in storage. Any input and/or firsthand knowlege on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Ak44
10-25-09, 22:57
I've heard from 5-8 years depending on how well you store it. You can't go wrong with freeze dried foods or canned foods either.

creeper
10-25-09, 23:32
MREs last according to storage. I also did an exhaustive search on the length of time. I ended up on a Government site somewhere, which stated that the taste starts to degrade, but not the nutritional value.

My inspection date is 5 years from the initial date and 11 years is supposed to be the "norm" before the taste starts to degrade.

citizensoldier16
10-27-09, 13:19
Update:

I pulled one out today and ate it...Menu #20: spaghetti with meat and sauce, accompanied by pound cake, vegetable crackers, peanut butter, cocoa powder, Jolly Ranchers, and the Tabasco/coffee/TP pack.

All in all, it wasn't bad. The spaghetti was a bit dry, but still tasted (and looked) like spaghetti. I poured in half an ounce of water to make it moister. The pound cake was still moist, but didn't taste all that great, so I didn't finish it. The PB and crackers held up nicely and were a tasty addition to the spaghetti.

No puffy bags, no foul smells, and suprisingly the heater still worked very well. I'll post if I end up being sick, but for now, I'll be keeping these MREs around.

Outlander Systems
10-27-09, 13:36
"Expired" Food typically won't get you sick. The degradation of the nutrients is usually the biggest issue.

KS Trekker
11-01-09, 09:30
"Expired" Food typically won't get you sick. The degradation of the nutrients is usually the biggest issue.

Good point. Anything dehydrated can last almost indefinitely as long as it stays sealed. As for the entrees with liquid, I wouldn't go past 7 years from the packaged date. Definitely toss any puffy bags.

Heavy Metal
11-01-09, 10:46

And the loss of taste.

My advice would be to rotate them out and consume them now or trash them.

Outlander Systems
11-01-09, 11:09
I once ate 20-year-past-expiry parmesan cheese. No illness, but it tasted...funky.

Only after consumption did I question what was "up". Turned out the junk was foul two years after I signed up for planet earth.

Expired canned goods will often taste metallic.

Foul taste and malnutrition, it beats sawdust bread and this alternative:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/29/food.internationalaidanddevelopment

RogerinTPA
11-01-09, 11:36
Depends on the temperature the MREs are store. The cooler, the better. Recommended storage areas are basements and closets in the center of the home, which is approximately in the 70's degree range.

http://www.emprep.com/mre1.html

About half way down the page, it has a scale for storage: Temp VS Storage Life.

Outlander Systems
11-01-09, 11:57
http://www.nitro-pak.com/images/shelf_life_chart.jpg

JBecker 72
11-01-09, 12:27
Sorry for the off topic question but,
Is it even possible to get fresh DoD MREs? Or can you only get the clear bag civilian emergency rations?

Outlander Systems
11-01-09, 12:31
I haven't seen legit MREs since '02.

Ak44
11-01-09, 13:06
It's possible to get fresh ones if you got buddies in Supply on a military base somewhere.

Outlander Systems
11-01-09, 13:48
It's possible to get fresh ones if you got buddies in Supply on a military base somewhere.

Where do you think I got the real ones in '02?

;)

Seriously though, it's an excellent question. I'm curious if the new-school packaging is just a means to saving money.