PDA

View Full Version : Game Food

bobby.lamberth
10-25-09, 23:31
I Have Been Into Hunting My Entire Life, And Never Really Thought About It Being A Possibility Of Doing It To Survive vs. Recreation...What I Want To Know Is...Does Anyone Grind And Stuff Their Own Sausage From Game Meat, My Grandmother Has An Old Grinder And I Would Like To Know The Process And If It Is Even Worth It? What Is Involved?

DISCLAIMER::: THIS IS A SERIOUS POST IF YOU THINK IT SOUNDS FUNNY OR YOU WANT TO BE PERVERTED THEN GROW THE F*** UP, I'M BEING LEGIT HERE AND HONESTLY WANT TO KNOW

Thanks,
Bobby

Belmont31R
10-26-09, 02:26
I Have Been Into Hunting My Entire Life, And Never Really Thought About It Being A Possibility Of Doing It To Survive vs. Recreation...What I Want To Know Is...Does Anyone Grind And Stuff Their Own Sausage From Game Meat, My Grandmother Has An Old Grinder And I Would Like To Know The Process And If It Is Even Worth It? What Is Involved?

DISCLAIMER::: THIS IS A SERIOUS POST IF YOU THINK IT SOUNDS FUNNY OR YOU WANT TO BE PERVERTED THEN GROW THE F*** UP, I'M BEING LEGIT HERE AND HONESTLY WANT TO KNOW

Thanks,
Bobby

You can do it yourself but I think it makes more sense to take the animal to a processor where they make all the cuts and whatever you want.

Theres some videos on youtube about doing it yourself. You need to get the casings, seasonings, et cetera.

bobby.lamberth
10-26-09, 22:22
I know how to process an animal, like I said ive hunted all my life and never taken an animal to be processed, my dad taught me when I killed my first deer, I was talking more of an apocalypse setting...

bobby.lamberth
10-26-09, 22:23
but I will check out the videos by the way, thank you

Outlander Systems
10-27-09, 09:16
My concern, in regards to survival hunting, is that, during the apocalypse, game will likely be hunted to extinction in short order. With no rules on hunting, and no viable source of meat through current systems, everyone and their uncle Joey will be hunting daily. It would be "opening day of the season" every day, only 24/7, with flashlights/NODs/etc.

I live in a County that has almost zero hunting areas. As such, the bucks here are as big as Buicks. I actually hit a Buck about a month ago, and he did a flip in the air. The sucker was HUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

Lights go out, him, the doe, and the fawn are on somebody's kitchen table in an hour.

Hunting might be valuable in a short-term disaster, but in a protracted total collapse scenario, I see Bambi going the way of the Dodo.

PA PATRIOT
10-27-09, 09:44
I've done it every season and the one thing I can tell you if use using older pre-owned grinders make sure its totally disassembled and boiled a few times cleaning every millimeter a few times over. A simple wipe down or hosing wont do and the last thing you want to do is to contaminate your grind and getting some people sick. After thats done one can follow any of the U-Tube videos which cover the basics but the real art is in the smoking of your sausage and thats a whole other learning experience.

MarshallDodge
10-27-09, 09:58
My neighbor has about 25 head of cattle so I plan on bartering some security for food.

This was the first year for me to go big game hunting. My son got his buck tag so we went along with a friend. We got up at before dawn, went to our spot, and waited for the sun to come up. When first light appeared there were about a dozen other hunters within range dotting the area around us.

There were 70,000 tags handed out in Utah this year and I can't imagine what the number would be if there was a disaster. People would be battling each other for the meat.

PA PATRIOT
10-27-09, 10:51
Just another consideration, In such a total SHTF event most likely power will be out so storing your un-smoked/ un-dried meat will be a challenge long term. Plus smoking meat sends out the "Dinners On Light" as people down wind will follow the scent to your door. I would not plan "Hunting" acquired foods as part of a SHTF package and if your lucky enough to score then it can stretch out your primary food stores for awhile but I would not count on it as a primary means of feeding the family.

Dirk Williams
10-27-09, 11:49
Don't you have to cold store ground meat like burger Etc ?. Interesting idea, it actually makes sense in my part of the world. We have a true winter here and harvesting and grinding and then cold storing in a snow bank or cold box WOULD make the difference of a semi comfortable winter.

I see hand grinders at yard sales from time to time, think Ill pick one up. Thanks for the great idea.

Dirk