PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help from the been there done that crowd

BradA
10-26-09, 12:20
I am looking into opening an indoor range in my area. And would like a little advise on what I need to do. i.e. local permits and such. Any help or advice that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

ra2bach
10-26-09, 12:51
NRA can help you with that...

Ak44
10-26-09, 13:23
I am looking into opening an indoor range in my area. And would like a little advise on what I need to do. i.e. local permits and such. Any help or advice that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

My buddy who is an FFL and SOT 07/02 was looking to open one up. And from what he told me, the backstop and air filter system is gonna cost a pretty penny. Good luck, you'll need a lot of start up/seed money.

BradA
10-26-09, 14:02
Start up $$ is no big deal. My dad is selling his company and wants to find something to invest in.

CarlosDJackal
10-26-09, 14:08
Contact: The NRA Range Development Services. (http://www.nragive.com/range_development.html)

PRGGodfather
10-26-09, 14:14
Depending on where you are located, your location will need the following:

Zoning must be appropriate for use, or a variance must be sought
If proposed use is different from previous use, you will need a Use Permit -- the UP usually requires compliance with all local, state and federal environmental concerns, as well as other public safety and security design mitigation measures
Subject to Public Hearing for all neighbors within 500 feet, to be heard at the Planning Commission (or similar Design Review Process)
Final Approval according to City Council (or similar governing board)

If you run into any political issues, consider suggesting a 6, 12 and 18-month review process. The frequent review aspect is usually enough to encourage governing bodies to accept the risk of proposed uses.

Good luck!

BradA
10-26-09, 14:37
Thanks for the info. Im tired of the ups and downs of the oilfield and want to get into something I enjoy. Plus there is not a good indoor range with in about 20miles of where I would like to build.

Ak44
10-26-09, 14:52
Ah very cool BradA, why not also get into Gun selling? You could get more business in if it was a gun store and range.

BradA
10-26-09, 14:54
I am already looking into getting my FFL and Class III

Ak44
10-26-09, 15:05
Awesome :cool:

BradA
10-26-09, 15:06
Hell if you have to go to work every day you might as well do something that you enjoy and love.

montanadave
10-26-09, 16:11
I've been curious about indoor ranges myself and why none of the ranges/gun clubs in my area had never pursued the idea, given that Montana shooters would probably flock to an indoor range during the winter months.

I always assumed there were significant hurdles related to air quality and health liability issues and trying to reconcile the need for massive air exchange with heating costs simply proved cost prohibitive.

I located the following during a web search: Navy Environmental Health Center. Indoor firing ranges industrial hygiene technical guide. Portsmouth, VA: Department of the Navy, Navy Environmental Health Center; 2002. TM6290.99-10 Rev. 1.

Here's a link to a draft: http://www-nehc.med.navy.mil/downloads/od/tm6290.99-10rev1.pdf

For a commercial facility, maintaining air quality looks to be a real bitch. The regs may be more relaxed for a volunteer/private membership facility but still might pose significant liability for the owner/owners.

BradA
10-26-09, 16:15
I have been looking up and printing things to read later. So far I have about 600 pages just from the ATF website and proball another 1000 from other sights. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do. Plus I am going to go the the ATF field office in Houston this week and see if I cana just walk in and talk to someone. Dosent hurt to try.

1859sharps
10-26-09, 19:46
Hell if you have to go to work every day you might as well do something that you enjoy and love.

on the other hand, making a business out of something you love can kill that love. give this a lot thought.

part of putting all this together will include thoughts and plans for how to run and market your business. Anyone with enough money can start up a business. But the point of a business is to make money. And without a plan or ideas how to stand out and get people to come in, buy and come back and buy more, this can turn into a money pit really, really fast.

Legalities and licenses aside, a gun shop is simply a retail store. in addition to the licensees and permits, read up on running retail stores.

photosniper
10-27-09, 07:19
we have a "state of the art" indoor facility that opened here in SCPA a few years ago. Interviewed the owner when they opened and he said it cost him about $1million to build and stock the place. 50 yard indoor rifle range that can handle up to 50BMG and a computer controlled pistol range. Rents FA guns. Uses infrared heating and some kind of recycled rubber backstop (think playground material). Cool place and the range is almost always busy.
http://www.freedomarmory.com/

rjacobs
10-27-09, 11:14
The million bucks for startup is about right. There is a local guy that is getting ready to break ground on an indoor range and he is spending about a million.

decodeddiesel
10-27-09, 11:16
we have a "state of the art" indoor facility that opened here in SCPA a few years ago. Interviewed the owner when they opened and he said it cost him about $1million to build and stock the place. 50 yard indoor rifle range that can handle up to 50BMG and a computer controlled pistol range. Rents FA guns. Uses infrared heating and some kind of recycled rubber backstop (think playground material). Cool place and the range is almost always busy.
http://www.freedomarmory.com/

That place is awesome!