PDA

View Full Version : Forward Assist Problem

TXPhidelt
10-26-09, 13:04
Last week I called Cabelas to see if they had an AR I wanted. They said the computer showed one in stock. He took down my info and said he'd call me right back if he couldn't put his hands on it.

Several hours passed so I decided it was safe to go pick it up... Drove about 90miles one way to discover someone else had put it on hold hours before I called. The rep I was nowhere to be found, go figure.

They talked me into buying a Bushmaster M4A3.. They knocked a couple hundred off the price to make it right for their screw up.

Fast forward to Sunday... I took it out to the range and hadn't even gotten the first round down range when the first problem occurred!

I hit the bolt catch to chamber a round and the forward assist knob flew off!

I picked the FA off the ground and firmly pushed it back onto the rod it attaches to. I unloaded the chamber and reloaded the round. Same thing... FA went flying again!

I decided to continue shooting without the FA button attached... About 10 rounds later I experienced a double feed in the weapon. The 1st round was fully chambered while the 2nd was 1/2 way out of the mag and lodged into the rear of the 1st round.

I couldn't remove the magazine until I pushed the 2nd round farther back into the magazine.

So fast forward to today. Called Cabelas and all they said they could do is ship it off to Bushmaster and that would be a minimum of a 30 day turn around.

Has anyone ever seen a forward assist fly off? Is there anyway to make sure that the button is secured in place for future use? Or should I be walking into Cabelas trying to get a new gun out of them without shipping the old one off?

Thanks in advance!

emt370
10-26-09, 13:24
Did the whole FA fly out or just one half of it? The forward assist is held in place in the upper by a roll pin that sits in a little notch on the side of the pawl. If the whole FA flew out, it likely means that the pin was not present or not in place. Pushing it back in would not fix the problem. You can try to fix it yourself by pushing out the pin in the FA housing, inserting the FA and spring with the notch in the side of the button aligned with the pin holes, and then re-inserting the pin after keeping solid inwards pressure on the FA to seat it with tension. It is kinda hard to explain without pics, but it's pretty straight forward. If just the button flew off, I would replace the whole mechanism.

I don't think that this malfunction had any effect on your feeing problem unless there is the pawl or other part of the FA still in place and maybe preventing the BCG from moving properly, but that would have likely flown out of place after the first round or two were fired.

Sounds like you may have gotten a dud. I would try to get a direct replacement since two separate issues off the bat are a bit much for me.

TXPhidelt
10-26-09, 13:47
Just the button flew off.. There seems to be a pin hole that runs perpendicular to the length of the gun that goes through the FA housing... I can see sunlight from one side to another.. Is that the pin that you think I'm missing or is this a 2nd?

Did the whole FA fly out or just one half of it? The forward assist is held in place in the upper by a roll pin that sits in a little notch on the side of the pawl. If the whole FA flew out, it likely means that the pin was not present or not in place. Pushing it back in would not fix the problem. You can try to fix it yourself by pushing out the pin in the FA housing, inserting the FA and spring with the notch in the side of the button aligned with the pin holes, and then re-inserting the pin after keeping solid inwards pressure on the FA to seat it with tension. It is kinda hard to explain without pics, but it's pretty straight forward. If just the button flew off, I would replace the whole mechanism.

I don't think that this malfunction had any effect on your feeing problem unless there is the pawl or other part of the FA still in place and maybe preventing the BCG from moving properly, but that would have likely flown out of place after the first round or two were fired.

Sounds like you may have gotten a dud. I would try to get a direct replacement since two separate issues off the bat are a bit much for me.

emt370
10-26-09, 13:50
You mean the hole in the upper receiver for the roll pin? That holds the entire assembly in place. The pin is hollow, so some light might leak through, but if no pin at all, there's your problem.

This is the entire assembly just so we're clear. Did this whole thing fly out?
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-AR15-Forward-Assist-Assembly-p/bcm%20forward%20assist%20assembly.htm

TXPhidelt
10-26-09, 13:59
I want to say there's a hollow pin in place...

All that came out was the button you push and the spring that goes around it. My FA button doesn't have a place for a pin like the one that shows in the 12 'o clock position in the picture of the button that you posted.

spamsammich
10-26-09, 14:04
there should be a split roll pin holding that button on and a larger split roll pin holding the whole assembly in place in the receiver. Bring that thing back to your retailer already, ask them if you can just swap it out if you absolutely have to have a rifle up and running today.

TXPhidelt
10-26-09, 14:07
I called and spoke w/ a mgr.. Said tough luck. He'd ship it off and I could wait the minimum 30 days

emt370
10-26-09, 14:17
That sucks. I mean I'm sure BM will make it right, but that month wait is horrible. If you really need to have the rifle, buy a new FA from Bravo Co and replace it yourself. If you want the free repair, send it back. You really can't use the rifle like that with the other half of the FA in place because there is no spring tension holding it off off the BCG. Either a 30 day wait with no rifle and free fix, or the $20 part and a functioning rifle throughout. If you want to keep using it if you order the part, just take the whole assembly out by pushing the pin out of the upper receiver.

TXPhidelt
10-26-09, 14:22
Well I appreciate all your help! My department's armorer can fix it but I don't really have time to wait on him or his lackeys to get to it..

Heaven forbid a company stand behind the stuff they sell for once :(

Iraqgunz
10-26-09, 17:18
Take my advice. Return the weapon and get something else. As for the double. Was one round fired and the other live? If so then you had a failure to extract which in turn led to the second issue of the next round feeding into the chamber. BTW- Replacing that roll pin in the forward assist takes all of about 2 minutes. Having said that I would return it ASAP.

How much did you pay for the Bushmaster beauty?

Well I appreciate all your help! My department's armorer can fix it but I don't really have time to wait on him or his lackeys to get to it..

Heaven forbid a company stand behind the stuff they sell for once :(

Iraq Ninja
10-26-09, 17:39
IG,

I had a chuckle when I read the OP's message. I kept thinking of the folks who say "don't worry about it being a bushmaster, JUST SHOOT IT". Well, it is damn hard to shoot a rifle with stuff falling off it...

TXphidelt,

Are you a LEO? If this is a work gun and not a JSI (just shoot it), follow IG's advice.

TXPhidelt
10-26-09, 20:44
IG,

I had a chuckle when I read the OP's message. I kept thinking of the folks who say "don't worry about it being a bushmaster, JUST SHOOT IT". Well, it is damn hard to shoot a rifle with stuff falling off it...

TXphidelt,

Are you a LEO? If this is a work gun and not a JSI (just shoot it), follow IG's advice.

Yes... The armorer took a look at it this evening and noted that the cap (button) somehow came off the "piston" that it attaches to. Pardon my lack of technical terms.

He's going to replace the entire forward assist unit once the part comes in later this week.

In the mean time, I have a Colt on loan from the armory :)

He'll work the gun over and see if anything else needs checking once the part arrives too.

Thanks again for all the replies.

PS. $900 instead of the 1250 price tag. Not sure who got the better deal in the end :(

Thinking it wasn't me the more that I think about it!

TXPhidelt
10-26-09, 20:46
Take my advice. Return the weapon and get something else. As for the double. Was one round fired and the other live? If so then you had a failure to extract which in turn led to the second issue of the next round feeding into the chamber. BTW- Replacing that roll pin in the forward assist takes all of about 2 minutes. Having said that I would return it ASAP.

How much did you pay for the Bushmaster beauty?

Both rounds were live. The answer to your 2nd question is in my above reply btw.

Iraqgunz
10-26-09, 20:55
Just to say I told you so. You'll be back eventually. If you listen to nothing else here listen to this. DO NOT LET ANYONE DICK WITH IT. Return it and get another weapon. Hell I could build you a quality one for the price you paid for that Bushy.

The forward assist is made of two pieces which are joined by a small split pin. That then goes into the hole along with the spring and you line it up. Once that is done, you put the larger roll pin that goes into the top of the brass deflector and holds the forward assist in place.

There is no voodoo, mystery or science involved.

Chances are your chamber will need to be reamed as Bushies are known to be tight. You will probably need to stake the carrier and the reciever end plate as well as getting the correct extractor spring and insert. I would also get an HP/ MPI inspected bolt as well and then headspace it. This is all hypothetical though as I would not be keeping it.

Yes... The armorer took a look at it this evening and noted that the cap (button) somehow came off the "piston" that it attaches to. Pardon my lack of technical terms.

He's going to replace the entire forward assist unit once the part comes in later this week.

In the mean time, I have a Colt on loan from the armory :)

He'll work the gun over and see if anything else needs checking once the part arrives too.

Thanks again for all the replies.

PS. $900 instead of the 1250 price tag. Not sure who got the better deal in the end :(

Thinking it wasn't me the more that I think about it!