PDA

View Full Version : MAGPUL forearm plastic.

Dirk Williams
10-26-09, 18:12
What's the trick to getting the new M/Pul foregrip onto the weapon. I'm taken an ass woopen here. No I don't own the proper tools yet, that would be to fricking easy.

DDW

wake.joe
10-26-09, 18:16
Probably going to want to use the delta ring tool.

I had to use one hand to pull back the delta ring (With tool), and the other to "thwap" the back of the forgrip to stuff it in.

Very tight lock up; I love it.

glockeyed
10-26-09, 18:23
i started with the bottom, and really made sure the front was in there good, and don't lock the "back into the ring.i used the handguard to half way hold the ring back to get the top in.

did that make any sense?

wake.joe
10-26-09, 18:27
i started with the bottom, and really made sure the front was in there good, and don't lock the "back into the ring.i used the handguard to half way hold the ring back to get the top in.

did that make any sense?

This sounds like a good option.

Put the bottom half of the handguard into the ring, but not all the way, so it holds the bottom half the ring back. Might be able to pull the top half of the ring by hand, or with a screw driver, far enough to squeeze them both in.

LOKNLOD
10-26-09, 18:28
Do you have a set of large(-ish) channel-lock pliers? With rubber-coated grips, of course.

(don't worry, this isn't headed where you think it is...)

Adjust them so the HANDLES are about the size of the delta ring when they are parallel. With the butt of the rifle on the ground/bench, put the handles (not the jaws) on the delta ring, with the jaws on one side and the rest of the handles sticking out the other way. If you're doing it right, there's no metal-to-metal contact. Then push down on the handles to push the d-ring down and remove the handguards.

d30gaijin
10-26-09, 19:44
LOKNLOD,

Excellent tip! Thank you for passing it along. I love simple effective tips like you posted that save others (me) money on tools.

I have Magpul MOE Handguards and Magpul ACS buttstock coming and was concerned with the hassle of getting the original M4 plastic handguards off and the Magpul MOE Handguards on (been down that PITA road before) not having the delta ring tool on hand. I got the big channel locks out of the tool box and followed your instructions. The original M4 handguards came off easy as could be.

Thanks again for a great tip.

Don

Do you have a set of large(-ish) channel-lock pliers? With rubber-coated grips, of course.

(don't worry, this isn't headed where you think it is...)

Adjust them so the HANDLES are about the size of the delta ring when they are parallel. With the butt of the rifle on the ground/bench, put the handles (not the jaws) on the delta ring, with the jaws on one side and the rest of the handles sticking out the other way. If you're doing it right, there's no metal-to-metal contact. Then push down on the handles to push the d-ring down and remove the handguards.

LOKNLOD
10-26-09, 20:28

Thanks again for a great tip.

Don

Glad it worked for you, Don! Welcome to M4C, and happy shootin' :D

Dirk Williams
10-26-09, 20:37
Thank you for the promt response. It's been a day. First I tried to put what I thought was a Moe stock Comm version onto my son's DPMS. Managed to break the stock. Cracked it thru on the top strap.

Turns out it was a mil spec, the vender was confused cuz I was ordering for my Noveske and this rifle. Next I started to put a DD lower kit together, managed to loose about 1/3 of the shit in the kit.

NOW the fore Stock is kicjking me ass. Thank you for the direction. I'd like to get something right today.

Dirk

Dirk Williams
10-26-09, 23:13
Thank you it worked and the fore grip is on. I do like the grip.

Dirk

jmp45
10-27-09, 12:36
I don't have the delta ring tool either, going to mount a magpul moe in a few days.

+1 on channel locks, w/vinyl handle. Open as wide as possible, handles up, plier side down above mag well. My M&P has a tough spring in the delta ring so I rest the butt on floor pointing straight up, right leg over the pliers side to hold down, push down with left hand, remove / replace with right.. Pretty much the same as LokNLod. It's like twister for the tards for sure.

Ridge_Runner_5
10-28-09, 02:30
I find it easier to put the top on first..that way the bottom half locks into the top, making it easier to install.

M4Fundi
10-28-09, 02:42
This is how the guy who designed them does it:p

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19720

d30gaijin
10-31-09, 10:09
Thank you it worked and the fore grip is on. I do like the grip.

Dirk

I received my Magpul MOE forend yesterday and used Loknlod"s padded channel lock method to install and it was done in about 30 seconds. A great tip and a great handguard. I really like the feel/shape of it.

Don

jmp45
10-31-09, 10:21
I mounted a magpul the other day. I put an MI rail on it but I think I like it better without a vert grip and light. As cheap as they are I may order another and swap it out and run it stock. The MI rail worked out perfect for this guard.