PDA

View Full Version : Burr at the gas port in the bore.

vicious_cb
10-26-09, 19:36
I just got a new SS barrel. I wont say from who but have a very good reputation around here. I noticed when inspecting the bore there was a burr around where the gas port was drilled. I could feel patches drag on it when I oiled the bore.

Will this cause any long term problems if I just shoot it out? Or should I take it to a smith and have them ream it out.

Quib
10-26-09, 20:13
Shooting it out usually does the trick. Others have reported taking a cleaning rod on larger burrs and knocking them loose.

Robb Jensen
10-26-09, 20:25
I agree, shooting it will 'deburr' the burr be eroding it away.

msstate56
10-26-09, 21:24
I know what barrel you have, and who made it. If you talk to the manufacturer, they will tell you what they told me: fire a few rounds through it at it will be gone.

5pins
10-26-09, 23:16
Is this a Sabre?

vicious_cb
10-27-09, 23:45
Great thanks. I was afraid that the burr would come loose and scratch the bore if I tried to shoot it out.

msstate56
10-28-09, 02:54
It should be fine. Mine was smooth as could be after three rounds.

R.D.
10-28-09, 11:10
PM sent

AMMOTECH
10-30-09, 09:20
If the barrel was test fired at the factory it should not have a bur. Something to think about....

vicious_cb
10-30-09, 22:41
If the barrel was test fired at the factory it should not have a bur. Something to think about....

I bought it as a stand alone barrel...

The only thing it came with was a gas block,dowel pin and gas tube pin.

Robb Jensen
10-30-09, 22:47

Sometimes the burr will last more than say 10 rounds.....I've seen then last over a 100 rounds.

ST911
10-30-09, 23:18
Enough mystery... Who made the barrel?

vicious_cb
10-30-09, 23:45
Meh. Its a noveske 16" recon

Belmont31R
10-31-09, 01:25
I just got a new SS barrel. I wont say from who but have a very good reputation around here. I noticed when inspecting the bore there was a burr around where the gas port was drilled. I could feel patches drag on it when I oiled the bore.

Will this cause any long term problems if I just shoot it out? Or should I take it to a smith and have them ream it out.

That is one area of an AR15 I would never take to a "gunsmith" to even touch with a 10' pole.

If you ever have any gas port type issues it needs to go to the manufacturer or someone who does this type of thing often like ADCO. Those sizes are very exact and letting a gun butcher near it will almost assuredly result in a ****ed up barrel.

That makes me quiver thinking of a "gunsmith" reaming out the gas port on a Noveske barrel.

vicious_cb
10-31-09, 01:44
That is one area of an AR15 I would never take to a "gunsmith" to even touch with a 10' pole.

If you ever have any gas port type issues it needs to go to the manufacturer or someone who does this type of thing often like ADCO. Those sizes are very exact and letting a gun butcher near it will almost assuredly result in a ****ed up barrel.

That makes me quiver thinking of a "gunsmith" reaming out the gas port on a Noveske barrel.

How about an AR-15 smith then? :D

TheGhostRider
10-31-09, 11:21
Shoot it....
Problem solved.

From a manufacturing standpoint, its virtually impossible to drill a hole through steel of any type and not leave some kind of burr; even when using a mill and especially when using a drill bit. That's why they make chamfering bits... of which would be impossible to use inside a barrel. Also keep in mind that chrome lined barrels have the gas port drilled after the chroming process and chrome is hard as hell so burrs are normal.

d30gaijin
10-31-09, 19:04
Shoot it....
Problem solved.

From a manufacturing standpoint, its virtually impossible to drill a hole through steel of any type and not leave some kind of burr; even when using a mill and especially when using a drill bit. That's why they make chamfering bits... of which would be impossible to use inside a barrel. Also keep in mind that chrome lined barrels have the gas port drilled after the chroming process and chrome is hard as hell so burrs are normal.

+1 That's my experience too.