PDA

View Full Version : -stuck- rear sight

10-26-09, 20:15
Hey,

Got a new Heine straight 8 sights installed on my P228.

Put blue threadlocker as is commonly recommended. Needless to say it "set" faster than I thought, and the rear sight isn't centered. And my goodness it is FROZEN in there. It's taken a couple of hours of soaking in PB Blaster, many poundings with a 3lb hammer and punch and yes, I did mar the sight. It also took a good 30seconds of heat through a lighter.

Nothing. Help? There are no gunsmiths in my area.

kaltblitz
10-26-09, 20:20
Did you put the Loctite on the setscrew or in the dovetail!

The Loctite is meant for the setscrew, not in the dovetail. Try using a hairdryer(heat) on the sight to get the Loctite to breakdown a bit.

10-27-09, 10:43
Setscrew? never saw one. It's a dovetail.

On the dovetail.

We don't have a hair dryer here (real men don't use hair dryers, LOL) but I can borrow a heat gun.

M4tographer
10-27-09, 11:06

On the dovetail.

We don't have a hair dryer here (real men don't use hair dryers, LOL) but I can borrow a heat gun.

You can also use a stove burner. Hold it above, accordingly, to apply some heat.

Dave Berryhill
10-27-09, 11:51
Blue loctite or threadlocker will help keep a sight in place but it isn't very strong for that application so I doubt that is what is keeping the sight from moving (you didn't use green "bearing and stud" loctite did you?) Most likely the sight is just wedged in tight. A sturdy vise that doesn't flex, a brass punch and a dose of smackulation with a hammer should loosen it.

If not, send the slide to someone with a sight pusher. If you ship the slide only, you can use cheaper ground shipping.

kaltblitz
10-27-09, 11:52

On the dovetail.

On Heinie's 1911, Glock and H&K sights there is a setscrew that helps hold the sight in place in the dovetail. That's what you're supposed to Loctite, not put Loctite in the dovetail.

Apply some heat to it to try to get it to out. Depending on how much Loctite you used you'll probably have an interesting time.

10-27-09, 16:15
No I did not use the green stuff.

The sight itself is bashed fairly badly trying to get it out. Probably will end up using some liquid metal or whatever they call it to smooth out the gashes, with some high-temp paint to clean it up.

Reminds me of why I didn't like working in the automotive field. Everything is dirty, stubborn, burns you, makes you gash your hands and fights you every step of the way. And the clock's ticking, and the newer cars are just horrible.

Question though, how resistant to heat is bluing?

ETA: You also know what is funny? I went down to the a local gunshop and asked if they had a sight pusher. Looked at me like I had two heads growing out of me. And at the range where the RSO is a frequent pistol competitor, it was as if that was the first time they'd heard of such a thing.

While we're at it, what range to zero a sight? 15yds? 25? It's for SD purposes, and I don't believe that all gunfights are decided at 7yds (but a lot are, given the statistics, then again I'm told there are 3 kinds of statistics: lies, damn lies, and satistics).

ETA2: Got it out. Used a heat gun which is rated for...7amps x 120v = 840W and put the rear sight real close to the exit nozzle. Took a bit of time to knock it out and about 3 times of heat application.

D.examy
10-28-09, 14:11
I need to have a new sight blade installed in a Model 28 rear sight. Any ideas on who to send it to other than Smith? They did one for me a while back and did a great job but it took them forever Thanks, Scott