PDA

View Full Version : KNS anti pins question...

jahwarrior1423
10-26-09, 22:36
Now I bought the KNS pins just for the look. But after installing them, there's maybe 1/8" space between both pins and the lower. I thought that it would sit flush with the lower. Both the hammer pin and trigger pin have maybe 1/8" space on both sides of each other. Is that how they are?...I cant see KNS sending pins that are out of spec but anything is possible I suppose.

Now, it may be less or more than 1/8". Im just eyeing it. But I see the silver of both pins on both sides.

So, is it suppose to be like that?

Edit: I have a Sun Devil lower

seb5
10-26-09, 22:40
No, it sounds like the screws are not tightened down. I've put on 3 sets, and removed 2, but that's another story. They were all on different manufacturers lowers and fit snug, after tightening. I also liked the looks but figured out if you like to tinker with your toys like I do they are a PITA.

jahwarrior1423
10-26-09, 22:56
They are tightened down.

Even if they werent tightened down, that wouldnt explain why I can see silver from both the pins on both sides of the lower.

Iraqgunz
10-26-09, 23:12
Don't need them. Simply remove and sell them to someone else.

They are tightened down.

Even if they werent tightened down, that wouldnt explain why I can see silver from both the pins on both sides of the lower.

jahwarrior1423
10-27-09, 00:02
I wouldnt of bought the pins if I didnt want them. As I said before, I know I dont need them.

So, there should be no space between the wishbone pins and the lower?

I sent an email to KNS, hope they can figure it out. Because with the space between the wishbone, it will allow the pins to slide side-to-side...which would defeat it's purpose.

MarkG
10-27-09, 04:23
I am a little confused. You bought a part that you wanted but didn't need. Then expected it to solve a problem that didn't exist. You are now not happy because it doesn't fit.

Sending an e-mail to KNS was the right thing to do. I am sure they will do whatever it takes to make it right. Keep us posted.

Boss Hogg
10-27-09, 07:01
I had my first (and last) KNS takedown pin installed on a lower. You have to remove it entirely from the lower to break the upper and lower apart (and a small black part gets lost in the grass)

Iraq Ninja
10-27-09, 07:10
Ok, we understand that you bought this for looks, and you don't like the gap. From what I remember, the gap is common. KNS will probably tell you to file the pins down till they are flush. That is what they told others.

jkingrph
10-27-09, 10:21
I installed them on all of my AR's. I noticed the not flush fit on the last three, so I took to the file. on the one with the "screwdriver end, I filled the end and the shoulders . Only need to do one end on that one. On the threaded pin I took a little off each end until they fit properly. Maybe a 10 minute job. Good thing is you do not need the hammer and trigger in place to fit them.

kwelz
10-27-09, 12:45
I will admit I like the looks of them as well. But not enough to purchase a set.

markm
10-27-09, 15:55
Don't need them. Simply remove and sell them to someone else.

Amen. And the "look" you achieve with these silly things installed is that of someone who is easily duped out of his money.

UVvis
10-27-09, 17:50
Amen. And the "look" you achieve with these silly things installed is that of someone who is easily duped out of his money.

Easy there bud! :D Also, did you want me to mail you that wad of cash in Grants or Franklins?

If it helps, I don't think any of mine fit flush. I have a half a dozen guns or so with the pins installed. Big con is that if you have to take your fire control group out for some reason, you need two wrenches and an one minute part swap job turns into a five minute job. I heard that they can help keep the GI trigger pull a little more consistent. They might, but I'm probably not a good enough shooter to really notice.

Iraqgunz
10-27-09, 18:17
Which is the main reason that they should be discarded. If you have a popped primer lodged under your trigger then you are effectively screwed. On the range I have taken the LPK out with a Glock tool, cleared the issue and reassembled in just a few minutes.

Easy there bud! :D Also, did you want me to mail you that wad of cash in Grants or Franklins?

If it helps, I don't think any of mine fit flush. I have a half a dozen guns or so with the pins installed. Big con is that if you have to take your fire control group out for some reason, you need two wrenches and an one minute part swap job turns into a five minute job. I heard that they can help keep the GI trigger pull a little more consistent. They might, but I'm probably not a good enough shooter to really notice.

jkingrph
10-27-09, 18:19

Maybe so. I have two large pin Colts, with Jewell triggers. Every time the trigger is pulled the hammer pin rotates in the frame. Will that cause wear, and will the pins stop the rotation and rotational wear? I think so!

Iraqgunz
10-27-09, 19:49
By the time the receiver wears out, guns will be outlawed. I have seen Colt lowers that were from Vietnam that were still running and there were no issues. This has been discussed here before. What will really screw your lower up is stripping it down incorrectly or doing every time you clean your weapon.

When I see guys pounding on the pins like 800 lb. gorillas I cringe as that will do more damage than the pin rotating in place.

If you really think that you need them then go for it, knock yourself out.

Maybe so. I have two large pin Colts, with Jewell triggers. Every time the trigger is pulled the hammer pin rotates in the frame. Will that cause wear, and will the pins stop the rotation and rotational wear? I think so!

556mp
10-28-09, 00:09
I actually had my trigger pin walk out a few times.... so I installed these. they work great. I have them on my bushmaster.... Anyway, there is a little space between the brace on the hammer pin side and the Lower. I stress... little. But yeah.. like someone above said... you can just file them. Hope this helps.

Iraqgunz
10-28-09, 10:01
If your trigger pin was walking out then your lower was either assembled improperly or something else was wrong. The trigger pin is held in place by the leg(s) of the hammer pin. The hammer pin is retained via the "J" spring in the hammer.

I actually had my trigger pin walk out a few times.... so I installed these. they work great. I have them on my bushmaster.... Anyway, there is a little space between the brace on the hammer pin side and the Lower. I stress... little. But yeah.. like someone above said... you can just file them. Hope this helps.