PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a used Sig

Armati
10-26-09, 23:13
I am looking at a sweet deal on a used W. German Sig 228. It looks like it has a been carried a lot and fired a little. I have only very basic familiarity with the Army M11. What sort of problem areas should I look at on a used Sig 228?

The same shop has an ok deal on a 229 but will my 228 mags work in the 229? Is the 229 really better than a German 228?

Thoughts?

mkmckinley
10-27-09, 00:05
Do you want to shoot 9mm or .40?

I have a US made 229 and it runs like a top. And if you get a 40-9 conversion barrel and mags you can shoot 9 out of a 229 but not vice versa.

Get the used 228, you can always get a 229 later.

Shark
10-27-09, 01:00
Yep, get the 228 first! :D

gtmtnbiker98
10-27-09, 08:16
What to look for:

On any Sig, always check the locking block and roll pins on older stamped slide Sigs (i.e. P228) and always check the anodizing on the frame rails. Barrel smilies are normal and unavoidable on all Sigs.

As for magazines, P228 and P229 (9mm) mags are interchangeable. The P229R 9mm is nothing more than a P228 Stainless.

Icculus
10-27-09, 13:38
This article might help you out some

http://grayguns.com/guide-to-sig-sauer-pistol-inspection/

BIGUGLY
10-27-09, 15:01
Not to say there is not enough info on this site but another great place for any information on sigs is sigforum.com there is tons of info on anything sig there.

Armati
10-28-09, 21:48
This article might help you out some

http://grayguns.com/guide-to-sig-sauer-pistol-inspection/

Thanks, that was very helpful.

What about refinishing with NP3 or the like? Would this prolong the life of the rail? Or maybe using a molybdenum disulfide grease?

Now, am I to understand that the 229 does not suffer from this problem?

Icculus
10-28-09, 22:05
Thanks, that was very helpful.

What about refinishing with NP3 or the like? Would this prolong the life of the rail? Or maybe using a molybdenum disulfide grease?

Now, am I to understand that the 229 does not suffer from this problem?

I can't really comment on how NP3, etc would affect rail life; maybe just drop a line to grayguns and ask.

As for the 229 it is definitely not immune to this issue. The frame rails on my 229 definitely show wear from where I started out using just oil before I researched the topic more and switched over to grease for range time. That being said my 229 runs like a top and I have no concern over wearing out the frame rails in my lifetime.

If you pick up a Sig, here's an interesting thread on lubrication
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/908103701/p/1

Also as for the 228's, I've read (but can't substantiate with first hand knowledge) that the extractors are in short supply so that may be an issue down the road. Good luck with the hunt.

mkmckinley
10-28-09, 22:40
If the rails are completely thrashed then I'd avoid that gun but a little wear is nothing to be concerned with. It's just part of breaking in aluminum receivers and doesn't affect function.

ToddG
10-29-09, 09:27
I almost always used oil (Militec) on the rails of my SIGs and had no problems. Many of the guns went over 10,000 rounds. A certain amount of finish wear on the rails is expected. There is no degradation of safety, reliability, or accuracy.

My personal preference, QC issues aside, has always been for the stainless steel slides. They are less maintenance intensive and more durable. Spare parts for them continue to be available, while SIG is constantly phasing out the parts unique to the now-discontinued stamped steel slides.

gtmtnbiker98
10-29-09, 11:02
Hey Todd, do you think that using grease on the rails is an overkill? I've heard to use nothing but grease but more and more often I am starting to hear good things about Militec. Thoughts?

PLCedeno
10-29-09, 14:09
Make sure the threads on the grip of the aluminum frame have not been ruined by the steel screws. Mine were on a 229 DAK. frame needed to be replaced under warranty.

variablebinary
10-29-09, 15:39
Look for as many Germany proof makes as possible

ToddG
10-29-09, 18:33
Hey Todd, do you think that using grease on the rails is an overkill? I've heard to use nothing but grease but more and more often I am starting to hear good things about Militec. Thoughts?

I used grease (TW25B) on my rails for a short period of time. I found it to attract and collect residue, which turned into a sandpaper slushy. Didn't seem like the best way to protect slide to frame fit in my book.