PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Range Clinics

K.L. Davis
09-29-09, 22:20
One of the group members floated this idea, I ran it by some of the other members and it seems like a good plan -- we are looking at putting together some group range days to use as open clinics.

The idea is to bring M4C members and friends together for a day of non-structured range time, a chance to have see what others are doing and what they do it with, a chance to share some knowledge and learn, check out different set ups and spend the day at the range or in a class with friends - this can be spent shooting, in an armorer's course or just swapping out gear and guns for a few hours.

With some of the folks we have in the group here, we should be able to get some real knowledge and experience mixed in with all levels of shooters... It sounds like a good plan.

The idea is to set up a day maybe over six weeks or so... spread them around the state a little to make sure that most folks have at least a decent chance of making it to some of the range clinics... just some ideas of places are: Phoenix, Tucson, Casa Grande, Payson, Flagstaff, Kingman and Yuma -- but these are just ideas for now.

The big thing is that people attend... there is no plan to charge for these event beyond what may be needed to get a place to shoot -- new shooters, old hands, novice and pro are encouraged to participate, share and learn.

Irish
11-02-09, 02:25
I'm up in Vegas but would really like to attend depending on schedule and location. This is a great idea!

Iraqgunz
11-02-09, 02:32
I am in and out of town from now until my anticipated deployment. I would still like to get together meet some guys and maybe do an impromptu armorers course.

Irish
11-02-09, 02:39
IG - Were you thinking of something along the lines that we discussed in that old thread/PM? If so please post dates & times that you're thinking about and I'll do my best to attend.

uwe1
11-09-09, 21:13
I am interested, when are the events planned?

Reddevil
11-10-09, 19:28
I'm also interested in an armorer course

SethB
11-10-09, 19:39
Too bad this idea didn't come up earlier. I've been assigned to Ft. Sill to learn the intricacies of the gun line...

zlock
11-11-09, 11:13
I would be up for anything in the Tucson/Phoenix area.

K.L. Davis
11-12-09, 21:16
I'd like to see these become common in 2010... I have talked to IG a little about a armorer's class, as well as a couple of other things. A place to hold the course in Tucson in not a problem...

Working on getting some stuff together...

zlock
11-13-09, 10:49
KL, what facility did you have in mind in Tucson? I go to the Southeast Regional Park shooting range to shoot on my own time and the Three Points range to qualify for work.

tarkeg
11-18-09, 10:38
I live in northern New Mexico, but I would gladly drive down there for an armorer class with you guys.

Irish
11-21-09, 02:45
This is from a PM I sent IG back in August. Any thoughts or suggestions that might help make this happen or improve on what I've come up with?

First off, welcome back home! I'm not sure where you're at in AZ but I'm up in Vegas so we're not too far away from one another. I have no idea what you do in your time here stateside but if you ever wanted to make some extra cash have you ever thought about doing an AR-15 armorer's/maintenance and upkeep course?
I don't mean down to the gnat's ass taking apart a BUIS and getting too crazy but a general course would be probably well received with us in the SW and would provide you an opportunity to make some extra $ on a weekend.
I stole the stuff from Blackwater's site but it would be along the same lines... how to diagnose and repair malfunctions, perform function inspections, check headspace, etc.
•Clearance procedures, load & unloading procedures
•Field stripping the rifle
•Function check
•Gas operating system
•Cycle of operation
•Difference between semi-automatic and automatic parts
•Legal barrel length with or without a permanent flash suppressor
•Disassemble and assemble lower receiver group to include stock
•Disassemble and assemble bolt carrier group
•Disassemble and assemble upper receiver group
•Bullet trajectory and battle sight zero
•Headspacing
•Barrel replacement
•Cleaning, maintenance, and lubrication

Let me know what you think and if you're up for it I'd be more than willing to help you set things up and I'd definitely want to participate as I'm sure there's lots I could learn.

JEL458
01-19-10, 14:35
I am interested in clinics as well and have sent PMs to Mr. Davis and IG to offer any help that I can. I look forward to seeing what can be put together. Stay safe.

markm
01-27-10, 21:10
Tag this one!

Bravo30
02-01-10, 03:41
I'd be in for anything in the Tucson area.

testudo
03-01-10, 11:43
I just want to bump this up.

I don't have much range equipment, but I do have a shot timer that I can bring to any get together.

uwe1
04-14-10, 21:26
Has anyone gotten together do do any training yet?

zlock
04-17-10, 01:26
Not that I have heard of. It would be great to get together even if it is just a day on a public range.

Buman
04-19-10, 23:19
I would definately be interested in going on a weekend date. I am up in Surprise and if anything gets up this way I would be very interested in attending.

Pappabear
04-29-10, 23:00
Did this ever take off? I would really like to do this with a group. If we meet, I have three Iron Targets and two Poppers. If you are interested in shooting, even if it just means running out to the desert, Im in.

I will probably go to Rio Salado tomorrow, even though I would prefer to shoot in the desert, but its a lot of work to go solo.

Send me a PM if you are interested. I live in Tempe, and usually head out past Apache Junction/Gold Canyon for desert shoots.

Irish, if you ever come to the Valley, let me know and I'll take you out to shoot.

Pappabear.

Irish
04-30-10, 19:06
Irish, if you ever come to the Valley, let me know and I'll take you out to shoot.

Pappabear.
I appreciate it. I'm usually down there at least once a month. I'll give you a holler next time!

Irish~

JR TACTICAL
08-28-10, 17:55
Hey Guys,

I'm new to M4 and live in the west side(what,what!!) j/k

Anyways I am always down to go out and shoot and learn new things
I work every 3rd day so if anyone wants to go reply or shoot me a PM

Iraqgunz
08-28-10, 19:15
I am on the West Side as well. Maybe we can get together sometime. I would still like to do an AR armorer class.

Hey Guys,

I'm new to M4 and live in the west side(what,what!!) j/k

Anyways I am always down to go out and shoot and learn new things
I work every 3rd day so if anyone wants to go reply or shoot me a PM

JR TACTICAL
08-28-10, 20:16
hell yeah, I would be stoked to do an AR armorers class you let me know when and where and I will be there as long as im not on shift

uwe1
09-03-10, 00:33
I am on the West Side as well. Maybe we can get together sometime. I would still like to do an AR armorer class.

If you can make it happen on a Sunday or Monday, I'll be there.

P2000
09-10-10, 23:11
I'm another west sider here, and may be interested in something such as the armorers class or a group shoot.

billdoodoo
10-02-10, 18:21
I'm near Cabelas and would be down to go shoot out in the desert or Ben Avery. I have only gone out shooting here once at Flat Iron for the shooting qualifications of the CCW class that I took(Hansen's class). Hope we can go out and shoot one weekend in the near future.

Iraqgunz
10-03-10, 02:32
Refreshing this a little. Even if we can't get together for a shoot let's all get together for an M4C roundtable/ meet and greet. I know that there are more than a few of us in the Phoenix area.

Pappabear
10-03-10, 12:16
Can anyone else do a weekday. uwe1 said possible Monday. Reason for: I went to a range the other day outside Maricopa (Town Of) off I8 to San Diego. A friend took me and the sole reason I went was to check it out for us.

Has anyone else been? Its an outside range. It has a police range, then two or three other "ranges". The big one has about 15 shooting tables and goes out to 300. But they have two others that go 50 yards. I set up my steel and did advancing and retreating shooting...... AR15 and pistol. It was a perfect range for us to do a mini carbine (self instructed) class. Its right in-between Phx and Tucson as well. It may be just too far for everyone? It was 50 miles from Tempe where I live. Also, there are no Range masters so its self regulated. It would be hard to get an entire range to ourselves except during the week. Just a thought.

Does anyone else know of a great place in the desert we could go? Close or near against a mountain. My normal place is east valley past AJ and is good for 1 to 3 but no more. Lots a bushes etc.

I would not mind a drive. however, For a meet and great per Iraqgunz, we could do a friendly cup of coffee by Scottsdale gun club, neutral ground to East and west siders. Grab a coffee, say hello and if we wanted, we could go shoot pistols at SGC afterwards.

How about a 6:30pm coffee Oct 12th or 13th. I may end up getting nix by kids baseball, but shit its a start.

billdoodoo
10-03-10, 13:02
The only desert place I've been to is Flat Iron which is off the 10 and 339th ave(if I am not Mistaken). My bro in law who is a PHX PD usually goes to Ben Avery to shoot clays with his shotguns. He just bought an AR and wants to try it out but we work on the weekdays. Because of schedule conflicts we, the members here, can always go to Shooter's World maybe? They have coupons where if you pay for 1 hour range time, you get 1 hour free for anybody who's with you so that will be good if we come in pairs?

Iraqgunz
10-03-10, 18:59
markm and I shoot out near Superstition. I really hate indoor ranges. I also have gone shooting on the backside of the Estrella Mountains which isn't very far from my house.

Right now I am available during the whole week, though that will be changing here very soon.

Let's see if we can plan something this week/end.

P2000
10-04-10, 00:58
My schedule is pretty tight for the foreseeable future, but I would love to come to some type of meet and greet or shoot if I can.

3CTactical
10-05-10, 01:21
I always go out west of Maricopa on 238. Turn left on 83rd Ave and head towards what is called Booth Hills. Great place to shoot and has never been crowded when I've been out. I recall hearing someone shooting on the opposite side of the hill we were on once.

Unfortunately, I'm out of town until the week of the 18th, so if you guys get together before that, I'm SOL, but if it's going to be after the 18th, I'm game for most anytime - weekdays, week mornings, weekends, etc.

pennzoil
10-09-10, 10:36
I shoot alot out in the desert around the area 3CTactical shoots and have a couple of different desert areas I shoot. I usually shoot wed-fri mornings with a buddy or two that aren't on here. I'd be in for a tea and dumpling meeting also. I'd kill for a M4 armorer class.

tominphx
10-14-10, 13:42
I usually shoot at flatiron mountain too on weekdays too, I almost always work weekends.

Pappabear
10-14-10, 16:17
Lets throw a date out there: How bout Thurs (Oct) 21st. Lets see who could make that date for a morning shoot. Depending on who could make it, we could then meet at the best place for everyones proximity. Anyone good with the 21st?

billdoodoo
10-14-10, 16:30
how about during the gunshow at the Cardinals Stadium?

tominphx
10-14-10, 18:52
I'm off tuesday and friday next week, I could probably do either day, but friday is better probably.

3CTactical
10-15-10, 11:58
Depending on how my workweek shapes up next week I should be pretty much open any day of the week, but that can change on a moments notice. Pick a day and I'll see if I can make it.

pennzoil
10-15-10, 16:15
I can make on thursday(OCT21) in morning. Free most of the back half of the week to be honest.

zlock
10-15-10, 21:35
I have Friday and Saturday off for the forseeable future. I hope we can work out a time to meet. I think we may be the only regional training group that doesn't have regular shoots :sad:

tominphx
10-24-10, 21:50
I'm going to flatiron mountain tomorrow late morning maybe around noon. If anyone wants to join me let me know. :D

ETA: Make the wednesday.

CGSteve
01-09-12, 22:29
I'd like to get some informal training shoot time in whenever you guys get a definite time and place together (assuming I'm off).

I live in Ajo, so I'm not near...well, civilization but I'd be willing to travel to Tucson or up north.

I would not dare ask anyone to come out here as, there is literally nothing out here. We do have an actual range that is "alright" as it is basically shooting in the desert. The best part about it is isn't highly trafficked and I can do any kind of shooting I desire.

I go to Pima Pistol Club for ACTS matches every so often.

huan
01-10-12, 19:45
interested as well... I'm located in the phx metro, but more than happy to make the trek to casa grande or tucson areas.

tominphx
01-11-12, 03:55
interested as well... I'm located in the phx metro, but more than happy to make the trek to casa grande or tucson areas.

I think casa grande is a good location for everyone since it's pretty much in between Phoenix and Tuscon, the range is also unsupervised, which is good and bad. We could basically "commandeer" a bay to do drills and whatnot. I would imagine it would be pretty busy on weekends though, so a weekday might be the best day to do something.

Pappabear
01-22-12, 17:09
If I can get off, I'm in. Casa grande.

tominphx
01-23-12, 01:36
I was thinking a monday or a tuesday in the beginning of february, any objections?

It would be a good opportunity to practice for that sundays (the 12th) carbine/pistol match at PRG.

azidpa
01-30-12, 16:08
I think casa grande is a good location for everyone since it's pretty much in between Phoenix and Tuscon, the range is also unsupervised, which is good and bad. We could basically "commandeer" a bay to do drills and whatnot. I would imagine it would be pretty busy on weekends though, so a weekday might be the best day to do something.

Tom

We were at the CG range on the 29th, I was the first one in line to enter at 0645hrs and snagging the 100yd bay was no problem.
After 0800, all the bays were occupied.
fwiw
Mark

uwe1
02-03-12, 02:00
I can make it on a Monday morning. I'm usually off on Mondays.

tominphx
02-05-12, 02:08
Is anyone up for monday the 20th, at casa grande range?

uwe1
02-08-12, 23:54
Is anyone up for monday the 20th, at casa grande range?

Tom, I can't make this one. I have plans to shoot Sunday and can't do both Monday and Sunday.

tominphx
02-11-12, 23:11
How about the one after that?

Maybe a sunday would be good for everyone else as well?

uwe1
02-23-12, 08:31
Hi guys, for those of you interested, EAG Tactical has a class coming up March 12-14 in Casa Grande. There are still spots open so sign up if you're able to make it.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1238746#post1238746

DiabhailGadhar
03-14-12, 01:27
Yuma? anyone get out and shoot much the scorching hot summers are coming which means no ones at Adair....:p

dustdevil13
03-14-12, 11:40
Has anyone gone through the tactical rifle courses offered through Caswells in Mesa? From what I have read/heard they are run in doors, a plus in the summer but in the winter I think I would like them outside.

Any feed back on quality/worth would be appreciated.

CGSteve
09-13-13, 19:52
Last post seems to have been over a year ago. Has anyone gotten together? I am on a schedule where I have the weekends off now.

I can instruct malfunction clearances for the M4 platform. What I need/want is pistol shooting instruction/guidance.

I'll come up anywhere either in PHX greater area or Tucson greater area. I would prefer an outdoor range as you can't do anything "dynamic" in an indoor range.

Iraqgunz
09-14-13, 03:42
Steve,

It would be nice to get some of the locals together. The weather is getting cooler and fire restrictions are gone.

JR TACTICAL
09-14-13, 03:50
Im in, Steve and IG let me know if you have any dates and/or locations in mind and I will try and be there, my schedule is pretty open. I will do the same and post in this area some dates and times that work for me.

CodeRed30
09-14-13, 12:07
I'd be in if it's up in the valley. Not really a Tucson guy.

LHS
09-16-13, 13:25
There's a pretty decent spot on Hidden Valley road southwest of Maricopa. Now that fire restrictions are gone, it'd be a great location.

Pappabear
09-16-13, 18:36
Anyone know where we could shoot out to a mile? It wouldn't have to be the place for a group shoot. Just looking for a spot.

I'm up for a group shoot. My brother is coming in town at the end of October. Be a good time for me.

P2000
09-16-13, 21:59
If you guys come up with a date, let me know. I would like to go too.

thirteen/autumns
09-17-13, 15:12
+1 for a PHX/Tucson meeting... Would be nice to get some decent training/competition in with individuals that are more advanced then myself at shooting.

thirteen/autumns
09-17-13, 15:18
Pappabear our "regular" desert shooting site located in Buckeye might suit your needs. My friend owns a house on a private water skiing lake with plenty of desert around it. My buddy is getting pretty serious into the long range game and I know for a fact he shoots out to 800 there. Next time we are out there I will look into some sight lanes and see if mile range could work out, it's double what he is shooting now but we will see.

Anyone know where we could shoot out to a mile? It wouldn't have to be the place for a group shoot. Just looking for a spot.

I'm up for a group shoot. My brother is coming in town at the end of October. Be a good time for me.

LHS
09-22-13, 12:19
How about a tentative date of Sunday 27 October? It should be sufficiently cooled off by then. I can bring a few target racks and some IDPA targets, along with a shot timer.

thirteen/autumns
09-26-13, 09:43
How about a tentative date of Sunday 27 October? It should be sufficiently cooled off by then. I can bring a few target racks and some IDPA targets, along with a shot timer.

the 27th would work for myself... You can count me in for the tentative date

Pappabear
09-26-13, 15:09
Works for me.

LHS
09-26-13, 22:18
What about location? There's a great spot for close/medium range stuff down by Maricopa on some BLM land, but you'd be hard pressed to go past about 400 yards without other folks getting in the way. If y'all are looking for longer range locales, I'm all ears.

Iraqgunz
09-26-13, 22:28
We shoot out there already. It's probably the same general area.

What about location? There's a great spot for close/medium range stuff down by Maricopa on some BLM land, but you'd be hard pressed to go past about 400 yards without other folks getting in the way. If y'all are looking for longer range locales, I'm all ears.

LHS
09-26-13, 22:34
We shoot out there already. It's probably the same general area.

Sounds like a plan, then.