PDA

View Full Version : Civilian SERE course?

parishioner
10-28-09, 19:53
Are there any SERE type courses available to civilians? I think this type of training is good to know, could one day prove to be useful and save your life, and also a little fun.

Jsaleen
10-28-09, 20:34
This is something I stumbled upon while surfing the net, I don't know anything about it's credibility but I think it's along the lines of what your asking about.

http://www.civilianrangerschool.com/

Abraxas
10-28-09, 20:40
Are there any SERE type courses available to civilians? I think this type of training is good to know, could one day prove to be useful and save your life, and also a little fun.

There are quite a few of them. Mostly you find them listed as survival schools here are only a couple but there are plenty more:

http://www.trackerschool.com/

http://www.ratcutlery.com/Survival.htm

Voodoochild
10-28-09, 20:41
What is the cost of the school?
$9,950.00

parishioner
10-28-09, 20:45
Thats a little more than I was looking for and $10,00 is pretty steep. I also feel like it would be filled strange people trying to live out there "Special Operations" fantasy.

Thanks though.

Voodoochild
10-28-09, 20:50
I am sure for that price K.L. Davis will teach you everything you want to know and then some.

Jsaleen
10-28-09, 20:54
Thats a little more than I was looking for and $10,00 is pretty steep. I also feel like it would be filled strange people trying to live out there "Special Operations" fantasy.

Thanks though.

Yeah it appears to be rather expensive, and like you said they would probably be some real werdo's running around.

K.L. Davis
10-28-09, 21:18
I am sure for that price K.L. Davis will teach you everything you want to know and then some.

Eeee'gads! 10K? I don't think I know 10,000 dollars worth of stuff?

As for the OP, most survival classes are ran with eye toward being found... take a look at some advanced SAR and tracking classes/instructors, they should be able to offer the inverse of their standard fare as at least a good primer.

parishioner
10-28-09, 23:22
Eeee'gads! 10K? I don't think I know 10,000 dollars worth of stuff?

As for the OP, most survival classes are ran with eye toward being found... take a look at some advanced SAR and tracking classes/instructors, they should be able to offer the inverse of their standard fare as at least a good primer.

Thanks. I'll be doing some research on the different classes. In the mean time, has anyone taken such a class or recommend a certain one?

nolacopusmc
10-28-09, 23:57
Are you looking for an actual SERE course or just a wilderness survical course for like a week where you learn fire making and stuff?

zushwa
10-30-09, 10:17
It depends on the kind of "civilian" you are and what you're trying to get out of it. A true SERE course is not probable because of the classified material, but as others have said, survival courses are available.

crucible
10-31-09, 00:59
Hey guys. We have something similar to a SERE course down here in the Philippines. Its actually more of a jungle survival course that was taught to sailors and marines at the Subic naval base. We have condensed and full survival courses and it wouldnt cost you 10K!

Iraq Ninja
10-31-09, 05:17
Hey guys. We have something similar to a SERE course down here in the Philippines. Its actually more of a jungle survival course that was taught to sailors and marines at the Subic naval base. We have condensed and full survival courses and it wouldnt cost you 10K!

Well, either it is or isn't.

SERE is not something you "kinda or sorta" do. Lets not forget that survival training is only a part of it. It is the S in SERE. Its the ERE that makes it SERE, with the R probably being the toughest.

There is more to SERE than sneaking around the woods in multicam eating bunny rabbits and dandilions. I doubt very few people would want to pay for this training, let alone go through it. That is why we probably don't see a lot of SERE courses for pure civilians.

:)

crucible
10-31-09, 09:07

SERE is not something you "kinda or sorta" do. Lets not forget that survival training is only a part of it. It is the S in SERE. Its the ERE that makes it SERE, with the R probably being the toughest.

There is more to SERE than sneaking around the woods in multicam eating bunny rabbits and dandilions. I doubt very few people would want to pay for this training, let alone go through it. That is why we probably don't see a lot of SERE courses for pure civilians.

I agree. surviving in adverse conditions in a foreign environment is just part of SERE training. I also agree that not many people would want to pay for a physically and mentally stressful, almost to the breaking point, type of SERE course.

However, there are tons of alternatives like tracking or wilderness survival courses around the world, like those that were already mentioned in this thread.

I dunno about you guys, but life has been SERE school for me already :D

ST911
10-31-09, 12:51
If you've got the bones, and can get admitted, there are outfits and contractors that provide SERE-esque training to corporate and other certain types operating in high risk environments. Kidnap avoidance and survival, escape/evasion, etc. Netsearch should get you there.

Irish
10-31-09, 13:54
There is more to SERE than sneaking around the woods in multicam eating bunny rabbits and dandilions.

Thanks Ninja, that brought a smile :)

johnclark075
10-31-09, 15:31
Crucible, you're talking about JEST (Jungle Environmental Survival Training) right? I used to go there for a week every year when I was in high school in the Philippines. We always had a guide that we called Pepe. He grew up in the jungle and trained U.S. Special Forces for Vietnam. Just an example how these guys define resourcefulness - he has goggles for spear fishing that he made out of bamboo, clear plastic and rubber. During the week we would spend our time learning about different plants and we could use from them, what to trap (lizards), fish (shrimp, eel) and hunt(bats and frogs) for (only food we brought was rice), how to create shelter, etc. We were under no illusions that this was anything like SERE. Mainly just for fun and to learn how to be prepared.

Buck
10-31-09, 18:54
I used to go there for a week every year when I was in high school in the Philippines.

Did you go to Dewey???

B

crucible
10-31-09, 20:54
Yup, thats it johnclark075.

Its funny, now that I've thought of it, that bats or lizards or frogs don't taste anything close to chicken :D

nismo1013
10-31-09, 23:57

A friend out of 7th Group once told me that SERE school was the single worst experience of his life, including burrying his father.

I think the kind of survival in the woods stuff you're looking for can be found in the boy scouts (seriously, heck I'd like to know some of that stuff too). I agree with Ninja. You don't WANT the kind of psychological exposure these guys get at SERE. Just my humble opinion.

Outlander Systems
11-01-09, 13:45
There is more to SERE than sneaking around the woods in multicam eating bunny rabbits and dandilions. )

Shit, for $100, anyone can feel free to come to my house and I'll brew some dandelion tea with 'em.

K.L. Davis
11-01-09, 20:25
Thanks. I'll be doing some research on the different classes. In the mean time, has anyone taken such a class or recommend a certain one?
It has kinda been said already... but the military SERE course has components that not only do not translate to civilian life, but really don't have much purpose in that setting -- you already know that the ERE are what sets it apart from a garden variety survival course; I can see where the first E would have some real time function enhancements in the proverbial EOTWSHTFBBQ, but the R and the later E... not so much.

As has already been mentioned, a lot of the course is sensitive and/or classified info, but suffice to say that it is not so much about the individual, as it is the individual's role in the greater collective.

SERE is part of the military life, and like most things is divided into levels... every swinging Richard gets some SERE training, along with lacing your boots and brushing your teeth; the duty to evade and resist capture and make every effort to escape is part of the Code of Conduct, which of course is part of all of that pesky required training.

Recently, SERE schools have come to the attention of the media... although they have been around a long time, there are still those that run around and pan the existence of the schools - with much of the same dogma as was used 30 years ago; which is that the school has a long lasting and deleterious effect on those who where part of it. Not true, trust me; I got the whole Happy Meal and I have a piece of paper from doctors of two different branches, that say I am sound as the pound.

parishioner
11-01-09, 21:10
Im looking for more of the "SE" part of it. Ixnay the "RE". A survival course with"evasion" added in there, like how to effectively camouflage yourself, cover your tracks, eluding pursuit, etc...I guess an option would be to take a survival course to get the basics and then read a book about the evading part.

K.L. Davis
11-01-09, 21:59
I am sure that finding a survival course in your area is not a problem?

From there... apply Guaranteed Failure Analysis: if you don't want to be found, learn everything that would make finding your easier, then don't do any of that.

Find and take a good tracking class, maybe help out with your local SAR volunteers?

And nothing beats really doing it... get out and break some trail.

recon
11-01-09, 22:40

So you want to get the crap beat out of you? Why?

parishioner
11-01-09, 22:49
So you want to get the crap beat out of you? Why?

Read post #23.

variablebinary
11-09-09, 00:10
So you want to get the crap beat out of you?

Without the perks after :D

Turnkey11
12-02-09, 01:11
Theres a good one in Malaysia Ive been trying to get for about a decade through .mil, if I cant land it before I collect a pension Id be willing to pay for a course as well.

CharlieMike
12-02-09, 17:41
If you are in Florida, Bushdo Tactical (http://www.bushidotactical.com/) holds what they call a a Specialized Urban Survival Readiness (SUSR) (http://www.bushidotactical.com/specializedurban_bushidotactical.html) course.

It lasts two days -- from 5pm on a Friday until 5pm on the following Sunday. I've spoken with the instructor and he knows his stuff.

I'll probably take it the next opportunity I have.

El Mac
12-16-09, 14:06
This is something I stumbled upon while surfing the net, I don't know anything about it's credibility but I think it's along the lines of what your asking about.

http://www.civilianrangerschool.com/

Dead link.

Von Rheydt
12-26-09, 15:26
Dandelion tea ............. hmmmmm! Pine needle tea is better and also has more vitamin C than orange juice.

Dandelion: The whole plant is edible, leaves, flower and roots. Leaves are good in salads, as are the flowers and the roots if dried and ground then added to hot water make a good drink that works well at settling a stomach.

There you go you've just had your first Bushcraft lesson.:) And no, Bushcraft is not for tree hugging, sandle wearing, dope smoking hippies. I have met more ex-SF types doing bushcraft than during any other activity ......... except for skydiving.

SERE is for people who need it, most don't. The average civilian would mentally die doing a small portion of the practical phase of SERE.

I had a look at the Bushido Tactical course for urban survivors. It looks a bit full to me for two days I would assume it is introducing the student to subject matter rather than teaching solid foundations. I look back on my bow drill and fire lighting course which took one whole 8 hour day. My land nav and map reading course took 5 days. A good basic civilian first aid course takes two days. Shelter building takes minimum half a day and then the student gets to sleeps in it.

Bushcraft helps the practitioner build a solid set of skills that will help him or her live fairly well in the wild. Because, to be honest, if you are just survivng you are just getting by and are not in a position to thrive.

The guy to read is Ray Mears he is paid pretty well to train some special military folks when he is not doing his TV work. On your side of the pond there is Mors Kochanski up in Canada who is regarded as an outdoor god. Mors runs a few courses throughout the year and they are always attended by folks who want to learn the serious business of outdoor living.

That said, the test that a fair few put themselves through to prove to themselves that they can do it is the WEISS COURSE. I know a few ex's that have done this because they want to see if they still have it. It is probably as close to the survival element of SERE that a civilian can get to.

WEISS: http://www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk/courses/weiss.htm

Rays School: http://www.raymears.com/

Mors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mors_Kochanski

A favourite saying in bushcraft is, "The more you know the less you carry". The aim being to be able to step outside of the civilised world in the clothes you are wearing carrying only a knife.

bvmbandit
12-28-09, 08:39

I would agree 100 %. Although I went through the training and learned a lot of good information that won't be forgotten. I'm glad to have only had to do it once while in the military.

I took the training to teach and pass it on to our pilots...

Forget about the R and E part if your not in the military.

Scott

Jason Knight
12-28-09, 14:52
Another resource you might consider:

Alderleaf Wilderness College: Wilderness Survival School (http://www.wildernesscollege.com/)

We've been offering survival courses in the northwest for a number of years.

-Jason

GMZ
12-28-09, 16:01
I think I have what youre looking for. OnPoint Tactical offers an "Urban Escape and Evasion" and "Urban Survival" course. Seems interesting enough, cost is about $500.

Reviews of the course
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2009/03/escape-from-la.html
http://urbanjournal.com/articles/urban-escape-and-evasio/
http://www.survivalblog.com/2009/01/handcuffed_and_stuffed_in_a_ca.html

Better review
http://www.itstactical.com/2009/09/22/escape-and-evade-in-an-urban-environment/

Link
http://www.onpointtactical.com/

RV4021
02-09-10, 16:34
Max Joseph with TFTT puts on a course that is similar to what you are looking for. Here is the link http://www.tftt.com/TFTT_CFC.htm

Robert

QuietShootr
02-09-10, 17:17
Forget about the R and E part if your not in the military.

Scott

You can't think of any scenarios where R and E might be useful skills outside the military?

Don't answer, just think about it.

FlyinSooner
02-21-12, 12:41

OH SO TRUE!!!

tacti-cool
04-06-12, 15:20
Join The Army,Volunteer for Special Forces, Pass selection, then you get to go to Real SERE-C(high risk).160th SOAR also goes to SERE C.
Survival of the fittest....

SERE was the best and worst time of my life. Amazing training...

other than that i would say re-enact MAN vs. Wild .. lol....Drink you own piss ....hahaha

Heavy Metal
04-06-12, 15:31

What? You mean people don't want to pay to be waterboarded and beaten-up? Damn, there goes my retirement plans!

Iraqgunz
04-06-12, 15:32
Flyinsooner and tacti-cool are now in the top 20 for 2012 necroposting.

Heavy Metal
04-06-12, 15:34
Dandelion: The whole plant is edible, leaves, flower and roots. Leaves are good in salads,

Thats called Dandelion Greens, welcome to being my Grandma, because she cooked them!

tacti-cool
04-07-12, 00:03
Flyinsooner and tacti-cool are now in the top 20 for 2012 necroposting.

can you explain Necro-posting?

Abraxas
04-07-12, 00:41
can you explain Necro-posting?

Look at the date of the last post before you posted in this thread.....It was dead until you posted in it. AKA zombie thread

tacti-cool
04-07-12, 01:07
Look at the date of the last post before you posted in this thread.....It was dead until you posted in it. AKA zombie thread

my bad... Sometimes with the 56k internet speed here in Alaska pages dont fully load and the internet isnt friendly.

Abraxas
04-07-12, 19:54
my bad... Sometimes with the 56k internet speed here in Alaska pages dont fully load and the internet isnt friendly.

No worries, it doesn't matter. It was just the reason he made the comment. Hope you enjoy the board.

tacti-cool
04-07-12, 23:34
No worries, it doesn't matter. It was just the reason he made the comment. Hope you enjoy the board.

So far so good.. it seems there are less dumbasses on here..There are always a few, and I'm usually one of them.