PDA

View Full Version : short term alternate heating solutions

warrior9504
10-28-09, 20:12
So am looking for an easy alternate means of heating my house. Here are the parameters:
1. we are talking about a disaster like "ice storm knocks out electricity in NE for one week" rather than "killer zombies lay siege to cities"

2. I live in eastern PA so winter temps can get pretty cold.

3. I have a house that is about 100 years old (read "not insulated worth a darn")

4. I have gas heat, but it uses electricity to run the blower to move the heat through the house.

5. I have a fireplace but w/o a system to force the heat into the house, and see #3

6. My house is occupied by four: me, wife, two daughters (both under 2y/o)

7. I live in a residential neighborhood in a half a double house.

8. I am not made of money, and what I have has already been allocated, see #6.

I was thinking of doing something very KISS. I don't (at least initially) intend this system to be something capable of heating a large portion of the house. Instead I would like it to be something where I could heat one maybe two rooms to a reasonable level (50-60 degrees) to keep everyone from freezing. I would also like the system to be reasonably portable (room to room) and even better if I could load it in the back of my SUV or truck.

I was thinking of doing a propane heater because it is easy to keep a couple extra of the propane grill tanks in the detached garage and then just rotate them on the actual grill some nothing sits too long (I like to grill!). But I'm not sure (1) how long one tank will last in a typical heater and more importantly (2) if it is safe to heat a room with something like that if the room is not vented (which would defeat the purpose if I had to open a window).

I appreciate the suggestions.

stylin7
10-28-09, 22:13
You may want to look into a radiant kerosene heater http://www.yourheater.com/ . I am getting one to heat our basement family room. I would recomend a good carbon monoxide detector just to be safe (battery operated since you would be without power). They run about $100 depending on size.

Joe Mamma
11-09-09, 01:57
I am far from an expert on this. But, the typical kerosene heaters (the 23,000 BTU ones) that are sold at Home Depots, Lowes, and Walmarts work very well. I think they usually sell for about $130.

They don't seem like great quality, but they work and produce a lot of heat. In an ice storm/no power situation, I'm sure oneof these will seem like a gift from God. I've used one indoors extensively (with windows closed) and had no problems with smell or carbon monoxide. It will heat a very large area.

I would just suggest using it a few times so you know how to use it. It would also give you an idea of how much kerosene you'll need to have on hand. You won't have to use it continuously--maybe an hour or two every now and then. I think that will depend on you, your house, temperatures, etc.

My only concern would be how easy it is to get kerosene in your area. Also, I'm not sure how long stored kerosene will last. But, I'm pretty sure it will last at least a year.

Joe Mamma

11-09-09, 10:07
Caulking around windows and sealant strips around doors can go a long way for very cheap. Maybe even place clear plastic around the whole window frame if the leaks are terrible. Use Great Stuff to fill in any holes surrounding pipes and electrical cables.

These simple steps can go a long way(much further than one might think) in preventing heat loss through air exchange.

Wood stove? I do not like the idea of fuel burning heaters(space) in a house. Too many potential issues with death as a consequence.

SethB
11-09-09, 10:51
Contact your utility and have an energy audit performed. They will tell you where you have leaks. Then you will need to generate less heat in the first place.

Colter
11-10-09, 01:32
I had your same train of thought last year, my wife and I live in the midwest and it gets mighty cold in the winter. For emergency power outages we decided on a kerosene heater.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316420_200316420

Here is why:

1. High heat volume. 23,000 BTU - Heats my two car garage (with no insulation) toasty in near zero degree weather.
2. Twelve hour run time on a 1.9 gallon tank. To run continuously for one week you will need 26.6 gallons.
3. Easy to move from room to room
4. Kerosene is easy to obtain here. I just bought some additional for around $3.00/gal - We called a rural oil supply company and bought 55 gal drums.
5. Kerosene stores well (with fuel additive over 10 years should not be a problem) I have an friend still burning stores from y2k. He does use a filter to separate any water and or crud.
6. I found two on sale at Home Depot in February for $53 each.

If you think this will work for your family here are some tips:

1. Buy extra wicks.
2. Make sure you know how to light it and get it burning properly using only a flashlight to see.
3. Light them outside and bring them in when they are at full output (helps with the smell at first light)
4. Don't let them burn out inside (bad smell)
5. Test the heater inside using a carbon monoxide detector that you know works properly. If you get noticeable levels this is a NO GO! Slowly crack a window or two until you are at a safe level again. I would recommend doing this over a 4-6 hour period when the wife and kids are away.
6. Don't buy more than 5-10 gallons of kerosene at Home Depot unless you have to. It is outrageously priced. Find a rural fuel oil company that will sell you at a more reasonable rate. From my experience under $4.00 per gallon is decent, Under $3.00 is great.

Good luck.

JB2000
11-17-09, 14:43
Kerosene heaters are a great alternative and have a good track record. They are probably the practicle alternative - especially if you will use it regularly. The downsides are the smell and fuel storage.

I still have a Kerosene heater but my wife hates the smell. As a result I bought a Buddy Heater and an adapter to run it off bulk propane tanks. The Buddy Heaters are less of a CO risk (they have low oxygen shut off), are less messy and smelly, and are easy to move around. But they don't put out as much heat as a kerosene heater - probably just enough for one room.

blade_68
12-12-09, 19:19
I grew up in central/ soulth Il. I don't live where it gets that cold any more but here is my method to the madness for heating..

All I've used for heating my house for last 5 + years is a Kerosene heater(s), Propane single burner and a small portable electric in bathroom to shower. and hang out Mil wool blankets over windows and doors in winter and have 2 carbon monoxide detectors with some ventilation. otherwise the crappy heating unit in my house would kill me in electric bill... :( But I'm known as a tight-wad ;) 2 propane (20lbs) 3 5 gal K1 cans. that should be ably to keep some heat in a house for a few days.
some of the same ways done as growing up been snowed in for over a week (70s) in old house like your family is in.

didn't need heat last winter due to being in sand box.

RFB
12-12-09, 21:18
wood burning fireplace insert

http://www.lopistoves.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=303

I live where it gets -40f.

90% of the folks here heat with wood.

Fireplaces are very inefficient...inserts are a completely different planet. It will heat you out of the building if you keep it cranking. Convection will cause heat to rise to upper floors.

b_w_hlls
12-12-09, 21:28
If you already have gas heat, if you needed to you could run the furnace off of a small generator, depending on the install. The furnace would need to be powered by a 115v power cord. Some installers add these, others wire the furnace direct with a switch for the disconnect. In my area, the small natural gas/lp gas wall mount radiant heaters are popular and work well for backup heat.

http://www.efireplacestore.com/cui-sr18lp.html

awm14hp
12-13-09, 14:14
I have used the kerosene ones at my camp with good results just dont blow it out or light it inside if you can help it. I have a natural gas heater at my house in the addition that I have used to heat my whole house a few times its not Maui but it works and keeps it a good 55-60 degrees considering its size and such it works well if I was really worried or needed it hot I would seal off that room with some of the tarps or rolled poly I have

bkb0000
12-13-09, 14:46
i cant believe nobody's mentioned Laser Heaters...? they're way more efficient than regular kerosene, and won't kill your family. just make sure K-1 fuel is cheaply avail in your AO.

Littlelebowski
12-13-09, 14:57
You'd be amazed at what a difference those DIY kits for insulating windows with plastic sheeting can make as far as insulation goes.

bkb0000
12-13-09, 16:49
You'd be amazed at what a difference those DIY kits for insulating windows with plastic sheeting can make as far as insulation goes.

furthermore, blow-in insulation can make a huge difference as well. requires cutting holes in every stud bay, then patching the holes, obviously, but a weekend project that can save you thousands over the course of years and definately make life a lot more comfortable. i still haven't insulated our crawl-space, and it's been ****in miserable even with the heat cranked all the way up.. not to mention it's basically ruining our brand new hickory floors.

cannarella
12-13-09, 17:21
I am going to suggest a generator and disconnect switch for the house. For a week in those conditions you are going to want more then just heat. For about $1000 you can get a 5000 running watt generator and distribution panel. Keep 4-5 5 gallon gas cans full and you can run for almost a week. That will run your heat and a couple circuits for lights, fridge, and such.

CLHC
11-28-10, 21:43
I just bought the DuraHeat Kerosene Heater DH2304 (Dyna-Glo RMC-95C6; similar, very similar) from The Home Depot yesterday. I must say, that if and when the directions are followed, it sure does work. This thing puts out the heat and has warmed my rambling 1240sq.ft. home quite comfortably. The thermometer inside was a warm and cozy 74F, and that's not me holding the thermo over the heater or even near it. Earlier it was 60F.

Two hours and forty minutes ago, my house was 56F, since I did open the front and back door and side windows to let the cool fresh air pass through. Now the temperature's at 70F. I'm doing this to break it in. So far, it's working like it should. Now I'll have to see how my electricity bill fares since I don't believe I'll be turning on my household electric heater!

Enjoy!

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 21:57
Make sure you guys burning fuels in your house have plenty of detectors going.

CLHC
11-28-10, 22:07
Make sure you guys burning fuels in your house have plenty of detectors going.
Truly indeed, that goes without saying. Anything that's operated by an actual fire in my abode, never goes unattended and whoa hey yeah on them there Smoke/Fire Alarms as well as CO Detector/Alarms. Now where's the extinguishers? :D

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 22:11
Truly indeed, that goes without saying. Anything that's operated by an actual fire in my abode, never goes unattended and whoa hey yeah on them there Smoke/Fire Alarms as well as CO Detector/Alarms. Now where's the extinguishers? :D

Goes without saying but people die from it every year. There was an entire family with a few little kids that got it about 2hrs from me last year because of burning fuels.

Weaver
11-28-10, 22:17

It's also important to ensure you have good, functioning alarms, both smoke and CO. Changing batteries when you change your clocks is well known - but it's also important to change the alarms themselves every 10 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_detector

CLHC
11-28-10, 22:18
Goes without saying but people die from it every year. There was an entire family with a few little kids that got it about 2hrs from me last year because of burning fuels.
That's too bad. . .In the news here in Washington state this past couple of days, 14 people including children suffered CO poisoning. I take the warnings regarding CO very seriously. Thanks for the heads up.

Stay safe!

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 22:33
That's too bad. . .In the news here in Washington state this past couple of days, 14 people including children suffered CO poisoning. I take the warnings regarding CO very seriously. Thanks for the heads up.

Stay safe!

Can't find the story I was talking about but heres 3 deaths last year...

http://www.the33tv.com/news/kdaf-carbon-monoxide-deaths-dallas-story,0,7279623.story

a1fabweld
11-29-10, 09:12
Just get snuggie's for everyone in the fam! Just kidding! I second the fireplace insert idea. I know lots of people who've had their gas completely shut off for years & heat their entire homes burning wood.

CLHC
11-29-10, 11:00
It's also important to ensure you have good, functioning alarms, both smoke and CO. Changing batteries when you change your clocks is well known - but it's also important to change the alarms themselves every 10 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_detector
That's sound advice. I check mine every month. Besides, I just moved into this new house this past March. Everything's new, but one can never know when things fail. Like they say with home ownership and the going on[s], "it never ends." :)

Can't find the story I was talking about but heres 3 deaths last year...

http://www.the33tv.com/news/kdaf-carbon-monoxide-deaths-dallas-story,0,7279623.story
That's sad. Here's the news from my neck of the woods.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Carbon-monoxide-poisoning-sends-4-to-hospital-in-Lynnwood-110840169.html