PDA

View Full Version : Keep my FSB or not?

gruntinhusaybah
10-29-09, 01:48
right now I have standard HG on my BCM BFH middy, I can now aford to upgrade HG.

Should I keep the FSB or go to a rail mounted FS? Here's the thing though, I am 6'4" with arms to match that height, and I want a longer forearm to accomodate.

I also want to run a light at 12 o'clock and would not be able to if I kept the FSB

So is keeping the FSB worth it? Does it offer that much advantage over a rail mounted sight?

any input/experience is appreciated

Reddevil
10-29-09, 07:08
I could be wrong but I think DD makes an Omega X 12.0 rail for the middy. That would give you everything you want.

Sry0fcr
10-29-09, 07:54
I don't think you'll be able to keep your FSB and run a light @ 12 O'clock on a middy.

sapper36
10-29-09, 08:01
I would say keep it. I am 6'3" and understand your pain. Using a DD 12" Omega FSP rail will let you do everything you want.

LOKNLOD
10-29-09, 08:10
I could be wrong but I think DD makes an Omega X 12.0 rail for the middy. That would give you everything you want.

I don't think so, they offer a 12.0 FSPM rail but it does not have a 12 o'clock section in front of the FSB. You'd need longer than 12.0 to fit a light in front of the FSB on a midlength.

To the OP, based on this info:

I am 6'4" with arms to match that height, and I want a longer forearm to accomodate.
I also want to run a light at 12 o'clock and would not be able to if I kept the FSB

It sounds like the fixed FSB doesn't offer you much if it won't let you get the gun into the configuration you want.

If you're unsure about permanently ditching the FSB, just buy a lo-pro gas block to go under the rail instead of shaving yours. Properly installed, and protected under the rail, it should be fine. If for some reason you decide to go back to the FSB and a shorter rail later, you'll still have the option.

I'm 5'10-11" or so and can use up most of a 12.0 rail pretty quick, you might consider a Larue 13.2, or I think Troy offers some >12" rails also (that new battle rail maybe?). The LMT front rail mounted fixed sight is good, but has a big knob that can be in the way. The new DD rail mounted front fixed sight looks really nice for this application. Some people just use a troy flip front left in the up position, and that works too (though it's a little pricey compared to a fixed).