PDA

View Full Version : MG/SBR question

CCK
10-29-09, 14:47
MG/SBR question
I like to think I have a pretty good idea of how NFA rules work, but I do have the following question.

If I have a registered m16 receiver, I can put any length barrel on the gun I want without incurring another tax as MG's are not restricted to any barrel length.

Does this also apply to registered drop in auto sears? Or would a receiver that has a sear in it also need a tax stamp to have a shorter than 16" barrel?

No need to post with disclaimers as to not being a lawyer, or if you are an attorney not being legal advice. I'm just looking for a consensus answer.

Thank you,

Chris

chadbag
10-29-09, 15:25
MG/SBR question
I like to think I have a pretty good idea of how NFA rules work, but I do have the following question.

If I have a registered m16 receiver, I can put any length barrel on the gun I want without incurring another tax as MG's are not restricted to any barrel length.

Does this also apply to registered drop in auto sears? Or would a receiver that has a sear in it also need a tax stamp to have a shorter than 16" barrel?

No need to post with disclaimers as to not being a lawyer, or if you are an attorney not being legal advice. I'm just looking for a consensus answer.

Thank you,

Chris

obviously IANALAIDPOOTV but a registered auto sear in a receiver is a MG just as much as a M16 machinegun registered receiver is and so as long as the sear is in the receiver you should not have a problem.

Same as with H&K registered sears -- you can convert an SP89 into an MP5K and don't have to worry about forward grips, stocks, as long as the sear is in. Take the sear out and it reverts to an SP89 and you have to follow pistol rules.

Chad