PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a nice outdoor range in...

JackOSU
10-29-09, 16:02
the Charleston, SC area. I'm going to go visit my mom and my step dad is one of uncle sam's misguided children and we wanted to find a nice outdoor range so he can play with some of my new acquisitions.

He gave me a few names of places, but it seems they are only indoor facilities so I figured I'd ask around here. Anything with a 50-100 yd/meter facility is plenty. Just looking to not be restricted inside. The weather is usually very nice outdoors around Thanksgiving as well so I figured it would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.

JackOSU
10-30-09, 11:46
Anybody???

Can be relatively close by 30-40 minute drive is cool.

Icculus
10-30-09, 12:32
I have some good friends in Chucktown but everytime I've been down there we either go to one of the indoor ranges (Trader World I think its called or ATP--but that place is such a pain I don't really like supporting them) or we just shoot outside on his father-in-law's 75 acres.

I'll call them tonight and see what I can find out but I don't know of one off the top of my head though.

JackOSU
10-30-09, 12:54
I have some good friends in Chucktown but everytime I've been down there we either go to one of the indoor ranges (Trader World I think its called or ATP--but that place is such a pain I don't really like supporting them) or we just shoot outside on his father-in-law's 75 acres.

I'll call them tonight and see what I can find out but I don't know of one off the top of my head though.

Sounds good. I appreciate the effort on your part. I tried doing a search online, but only came up with the two local indoor facilites there. I wasn't sure what the facilities were like, rates and overall thoughts might be. Let me know what you find out.

Icculus
10-30-09, 14:45
NP. As far as the indoor ranges if that's all you end up finding. I double checked and 1 is Trader World. Smaller shop and range. Small selection of rentals (if you're looking to rent), pistols only (or I guess technically nothing over 2000 fps), about 10 lanes maybe, friendly knowledgeable people. I've been there 3 or 4 times. Decent range rates (don't remember specifically). Overall good experience

The other is ATP. Now as far as selection goes its the frickin Walmart of guns. They have tons of selection of guns, ammo, and accessories. Lots of things for rent (pistols, rifles, class3). They have about 15 pistol lanes and 15 rifle lanes (25 yds if I remember right).

The bad about ATP: Because of the large building and inventory, I'm sure their overhead is through the roof and as such so are their prices. Lanes are expensive and rental fees are high. The real kick in balls is even if you're not renting and shooting your own guns you have to use their ammo which is not cheap. We're talking like $17 for a box of Wolf 9mm for example. Oh and while I can't think of anything specific right now, I guarantee you could probably fill several pages in the "Dumbest things heard a gun shop" thread just from listening to both the employees and clientele for a day. They get some real yahoos in there. Been there a couple times to browse cause, hey, going to gun shops is fun but only shot there once because its so expensive and only did that because was the only range I could find that had a Sig P250 to rent and I wanted to try one.

JackOSU
10-30-09, 17:37
I plan on bringing an AR, 870 and maybe my carry piece G19. I would say it's a no go for buying their ammo if it's that expensive. Pretty odd that you have to buy their ammo to shoot there. That to me would be a deal breaker if I lived there for sure. I wonder what the loss of business is on the range compared to the money they make on the ammo having to be purchased there. Seems they are losing money in the long run that way???

Thanks again for the help. If you hear of anything else lelt me know and if anyone else would be kind enough to chime in that would be appreciated as well. Worse case we don't shoot, but my step dad hasn't fired and AR since his deployments in Vietnam. He seems anxious to do so, but it may have to wait until he comes up here if the cost is no economical for range fees and ammo etc.

Icculus
10-30-09, 19:56
Talked to my buddy. There is the Palmetto Gun Club but that's a private, membership only deal. He said he thinks there is a range somewhere north of Mount Pleasant that is run by the SC DNR but didn't have any definitive information. Good luck with the hunt.

ETA: Did a little more searching. I don't know for sure but it looks like the range north of Mt. Pleasant my friend was referring to was the Twin Ponds rifle range. Unfortunately it also seems that its been closed down due to vandalism and grown people not being responsible enough to clean up after themselves. The following thread though does mention another one called Boggy Head but I'm not sure exactly where it is

http://scoutdooradventures.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6814

THe Boggy Head range in Hellhole is just off hwy41. Coming from Jamestown heading to Mt.PLeasant it will be on your left. After you get on 41 in Jamestown keep going until you cross a set of railroad tracks, road to the range is only a couple hundreds yards past RR tracks. There is a sign there. Range is only a short distance after you leave 41. Hope this helps. One last word of advice, try to go during the week and as early as you can get there.

JackOSU
10-30-09, 20:58
Sounds good and I appreciate the feedback. I have the guys at the range I belong to checking into the possilibility of Charleston Gun Club, Palmetto Gun Club and another NW called Savannah River Rifle and Pistol Club. I wasn't sure if there were any exceptions for those of us that were actually responsible and looking for a nice place to shoot and also members of clubs out of state.

We would be looking for a time during the week where we wouldn't interfere with any scheduled events or makes waves. Hopefully something comes through. It's a shame the public ranges down there have been shot up and destroyed by those that have no repsect for the priveledge it is to have a range nearby. I'm pretty spoiled at my location with the good people and facilities I guess.