PDA

View Full Version : 557 and 4x test drive

Steve
03-01-07, 07:55
I have been running a Pre-production 557 and 4x now for about 2 weeks.

the 557 has the 600yd bdc.

The 557 has side mounted on/off and nv controls buttons
that are recessed into the housing to allow the 4x to mount flush with 557 itself

I have currently about 600 rounds down range on this unit(not enough yet for a real test but its getting there), some observations as follows

would like to see a captured battery compartment. current on the 553 has this.

ggg accucam lever will not work on the 557 per talking with Eotech when i asked about that. not that its needed.(larue lever would be nice.)

Buttons should be a bit larger or have more surface area to them( my ham hands (thanks Harv) in and out of gloves have issues using them in there recessed housing.

the 557 has a new style shape to allow it to clear the D ring and allow the unit and magnfier to be on the upper receiver and not have to bridge the hand guards and upper receiver it self.

the reticule is typical Eotech with the addition of 4 dots total in a vertical line.

in range drills the a extra dots have little effect on shooting out to 0-100yds
when the 4x is added the reticule is very well defined and sharp and clear and the dots are easily seen and there separation is apparent each bdc dot is very sharp and clean. i have only shot it out to 300yds.

the 4x is very crisp and using a dual prism lens as you look through the eyepiece of the 4x you notice right away that the view is equal to the window of the Eotech not round. the 4x is very robust feeling and weighs more than the aimpoint 3x i should have exact difference this weak in weight. OAL of the 557 and the 4x is equal to the aimpoint and its 3x brother in larue mounts.

a built in set of larue levers would be a huge improvement as well. but as Pat stated earlier Eotech is hearing a lot of input and doing something about it.

SinnFéinM1911
03-01-07, 09:23
Im hoping to get in line for the first production models !

Im trying to get ahold of some Larue through levers to refit my 553 and get the ARMs levers off. From the looks of things it wont be that hard. Ill keep everyone posted and get some pictures when I complete it !!

Steve
03-01-07, 10:00
good stuff brett keep us posted

you should be able to get your hands on one, iam sure.;)

now how about my fn2000 or a scars i could test drive this on.....