PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Fit for Duty?

Roy
10-29-09, 18:27
There talks of possily allowing some people at work to Carry 1911's, after a change over course from Glock.

Id like to get one just in case and lets face it I just want one. I already have a PRO which I LOVE

But id like to get one with a RAIL... Imwondering what else to look at
Trying to be around $2500.00
I get some guns at dealer cost from a shop i work part time at soo let me know what you reccomend for duty... and ill check out prices

Considerations
Nighthawk GRP
Wilson CQB RAIL
ED BROWN SPECIAL FORCES
Springfield PRO RAIL (operator)

Let me know what you think and why. Main reason or adversion to another PRO is the wait.

Business_Casual
10-29-09, 18:54
There are some good links to 1911 discussions (duty grade) on 10-8 in this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30221

There is also a good review of the status of the 1911 today, that is worth a look.

M_P

RAM Engineer
10-29-09, 19:24
There talks of possily allowing some people at work to Carry 1911's, after a change over course from Glock.

Id like to get one just in case and lets face it I just want one. I already have a PRO which I LOVE

But id like to get one with a RAIL... Imwondering what else to look at
Trying to be around $2500.00
I get some guns at dealer cost from a shop i work part time at soo let me know what you reccomend for duty... and ill check out prices

Considerations
Nighthawk GRP
Wilson CQB RAIL
ED BROWN SPECIAL FORCES
Springfield PRO RAIL (operator)

Let me know what you think and why. Main reason or adversion to another PRO is the wait.

Read this:

http://www.10-8performance.com/id8.html <---"Choosing a 1911 for Duty Use by Hilton Yam"

Roy
10-29-09, 19:42
well i guess my gut to go with another PRO was right

Spiffums
10-30-09, 16:32
Naw I don't think the 1911 has been around long enough to get all the bugs worked out of it. I would give it another 100 years or so before I bet my life on it. Now these 20 to 30 year old plastic guns are good to go out of the box.:D

Surf
10-30-09, 18:35
All of those you list would make great choices. Like any other weapon, I would run it with a good amount of duty rounds to "proof it". I guess I just don't like to say 'break in".

Vash1023
10-30-09, 19:19
my Springfield mc operator has handled everything ive thrown at it.

thing is a beast

Business_Casual
10-31-09, 09:52
my Springfield mc operator has handled everything ive thrown at it.

thing is a beast

What exactly have you "thrown at" it?

M_P

ShipWreck
10-31-09, 21:57
I love my Ed Brown. I'd go that route.

The white rings around the tritium really stand out for daytime shooting. I hate the silver rings that Springfield uses by default.

I had them put white ringed novaks on my Custom Springield when they built it.

El Mac
10-31-09, 23:21
Springfield Pro, no question.

sff70
11-01-09, 01:08
The Pro had to pass one helluva testing process prior to being accepted, and they are consistently built to a high standard (for many years now).

You can get that the FBI would send them back or cancel the contract if they had problems.

An incredibly well-vetted pistol, unlike most other 1911s.

Roy
11-01-09, 12:32
Wasnt asking if the platform was proven was looking for a proven maker

I dont plan on carrying a charles daly or somehting

Ok ill start looking into a PRO Operator to go with my Pro

kaltblitz
11-01-09, 13:08
Roy,

I'm the guy that did the review of the Pro Operator a couple weeks ago.

My department started allowing patrol guys to carry 1911's 10/08 (only SWAT was allowed before) and we now have at least forty guys that have switched to the platform.

One of the nice things about it is that I've had the great chance to look at lots of examples of fine 1911's including Wilsons, Ed Browns, Nighthawks, some total custom work and LOTS of Kimbers.

I like my Pro, but I also like the Ed Brown Special Forces guns quite a bit. Now that I have both railed (including a Dawson) and non-railed 1911's I'm not totally sold that light rails on 1911's are the way to go.

If you don't feel like waiting for a Pro then I say buy an Ed Brown.

E53001
11-01-09, 13:31
Wilson Combat CQB FTW!

kwelz
11-01-09, 13:41
Does anyone have any experience with the new Colt Railed 1911? Good? Bad? Meh?

Matt2124
11-01-09, 19:21
I like my Pro, but I also like the Ed Brown Special Forces guns quite a bit. Now that I have both railed (including a Dawson) and non-railed 1911's I'm not totally sold that light rails on 1911's are the way to go.

Brother I gotta ask and I hate to hi jack this thread a little, but any problems with a railed 1911? I'm in a similar spot as the op and am thinking of making the switch to a 1911 for duty carry. I currently run a Glock with a TLR-1. Having a weapon mounted light is a big plus for me on my shift. I am just curious if the rail induces any problems with the platform?

Matt

cdunn
11-01-09, 19:34
my next 1911 will be a Berryhill, I'm not sure which yet,I'm leaning towards the MEUSOC new version,it sounds perfect and it sounds like he spendsalot of time making sure it runs perfect.check them out,cheaper then what you were looking at.
http://www.berryhillguns.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1
you can also get a rail gun

alaskacop
11-01-09, 19:41
As long as you can properly maintain a 1911 and don't mind the additional cost of the handgun, I think its a great choice as a duty handgun. I don't recommend a 1911 to officer's who think of the handgun as just another "tool" and will only clean and maintain the handgun on qualification day. A good 1911 is like a sports car..they need a lot of attention and care but as long as they get it they perform very well.

Most of the guys at my department carry 1911's...a few Kimbers and Wilson's. I use a STI Tatical and love it. I think the biggest problem facing the 1911 for duty is the perception from the administrative side that a "cocked and locked" firearm is not as safe as a "safeaction" or double action firearm.

alaskacop
11-01-09, 19:54
Brother I gotta ask and I hate to hi jack this thread a little, but any problems with a railed 1911? I'm in a similar spot as the op and am thinking of making the switch to a 1911 for duty carry. I currently run a Glock with a TLR-1. Having a weapon mounted light is a big plus for me on my shift. I am just curious if the rail induces any problems with the platform?

Matt

Actually I would highly recommend any handgun for duty be equipped with a rail (and light) and the 1911 is no exception...

Some people are against them because they think and officer will start using the firearm as his/her main source of illumination (like traffic stops) but I dont agree with that. Since we will have to check alarms and buildings in the dark it gives us a tactical edge and causes less fatigue.

To answer your last sentence, I have never seen mechanical problems develop with having a rail and light on a 1911 (actually there were problems with Glock 22's for a bit with mounted lights. The polymer was flexing too much and eventually the handguns began to malfunction..this happened with the ones issued to the Alaska State Troopers). Just remember to check your hex screws on the light from time to time because all the shooting and drawing with cause them to come loose (I use an X300 surfire).

Chameleox
11-01-09, 20:24
The biggest issue that the rails bring up is in holster selection. Some holster manufacturers will differentiate between the types of rail you have (none, Dawson, extended dustcover, etc)

alaskacop
11-01-09, 20:54
The biggest issue that the rails bring up is in holster selection. Some holster manufacturers will differentiate between the types of rail you have (none, Dawson, extended dustcover, etc)

I agree with that...most of your choices for a duty rig will be limited to level II or level I retention (and I don't recommend level I). On the plus side, the light can actually act as a improvised retention device. We tested my rig (blade tech level II holster) and discovered the firearm would not come out if someone attempted to draw it out from an angle..

Most holster companies I have talked to seen to focus on weapon light selection rather that rail style (at least for duty rigs). Most seem to be leaning towards surefire lights, but a lot of the companies will also customize a holster for you...may cost a bit more but I think its worth it..

kaltblitz
11-01-09, 21:06

Matt

I'm not aware of any kind of functional problems with the light or rail whatsoever.

I just don't like the way the pistol balances. I carried a Glock 21 with a Surefire X200 (and later X300) with a DG switch before switching to the 1911 platform. I loved having a light attached to the gun.

When I switched to the 1911 I initally used an older Kimber Custom Classic (no rail). It took me awhile to dust the cobwebs off my Rogers/Surefire skills, but I got used to it again.

I had a Dawson rail added to an Action Works Colt I had lying around and didn't care for it one bit. The Dawson adapter is squared at the top and with my thumbforwards grip it chewed the crap out of the bottom of my support side hand. It also had a habbit of coming loose.

When I bought my Pro I made sure I would have a light rail again. Once getting it the weight of the pistol seemed like a brick. The Pro with the S&A magwell and everything isn't a lightweight 1911 to begin with. Add to that the fact that the X300's switch plate made an already small triggerguard smaller with gloved hands.

I just prefer a nice sleek and thin non-railed 1911. They feel better to me. To each there own.

kaltblitz
11-01-09, 21:13

I have a full collection of Safariland 6280's now. The fit codes can be found on 10-8forums.

I now have a non-railed holster,
a railed w/Surefire X300 holster (for the Pro),
and a Springfield Operator w/M3 holster (fits Dawson railed guns with X200)

My own personal opinion is while the ALS platfor is great for Glocks and M&P's it should be avoided in the 1911. You already have a lot of thumb action going on with a 1911 getting it into play. We did some serious reviewing of the ALS with the 1911 at my department and most of us decided it took to much to get the gun up and running. Stick to the 6280's (or Bladetech's if they're allowed)

Matt2124
11-02-09, 13:44
Guys thanks for all the replies to my question about rails. I guess the way I read the first post written about rails on 1911's I may have misunderstood a bit and thought it made reference to having a rail may induce problems. Once again I am amazed at the knowledge here and the willingness for others to help answer questions.

And Roy I think I hi jacked your thread a little bit and I'm sorry about that.

Matt

Roy
11-02-09, 21:57
No probs here kinda answering the same questions..