PDA

View Full Version : Any reason NOT to get a Bushmaster superlight barrel?

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-30-09, 12:17
Hey guys,

I am very interested in all these lightweight builds I am seeing. I was thinking about buying the Bushmaster superlight barrel assembly and putting it into a gun I am building. I have done some searches and not found anything either way. Anything wrong with these barrels? Does anyone else offer something better (that is actually available)?

GHB

M4arc
10-30-09, 12:32
I think they are great light weight barrels. They are 1:9 twist so you might run into some issues shooting heavier grain ammo but honestly I have a bunch of 1:7 twist and mostly shoot 55 or 62gr surplus so a 1:9 would be good enough for 99% of the shooting I do.

What do you plan to do with this build?

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-30-09, 13:00
I was just thinking of putting together a range beater/truck gun. Plus I am a nerd so I am interested in seeing just how light I can make one. My current colt has a 1/9 and it has always been a champ. Mostly I shoot 55 grain privi or federal. It is also good with the 855 stuff.

5pins
10-30-09, 13:03
I though I read that BCM is coming out with a super light with a 1/7 twist.

M4arc
10-30-09, 13:05
I think it will be a great barrel for that purpose.

I thought I heard where BCM is going to run some lightweight barrels (might be internet rumor) so you might want to touch bases with Bravo Company first but I would happily use one of those Bushmaster barrels.

Byron
10-30-09, 13:33
Here's the thread on BCM's lightweight uppers:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=38202

nickdrak
10-30-09, 13:41
My current duty rifle wears a Bushmaster Superlight barrel. I have run it thru a good bit of training over the past 4+ months, and it has performed perfectly with everything that has been thrown at it. (CQB out to 300yds)

9DivDoc
10-30-09, 21:17
Hey guys,

I am very interested in all these lightweight builds I am seeing. I was thinking about buying the Bushmaster superlight barrel assembly and putting it into a gun I am building. I have done some searches and not found anything either way. Anything wrong with these barrels? Does anyone else offer something better (that is actually available)?

GHB

Bushy, at least at one time, did a run of 1 in 7 SLW...

I have owned a number of SLWs in the last 30 yrs or so and they all shoot good enough..to take out vermin of the skunk,coon,possum,coyote,fox class if need be.

I put one on a Mega upper with a La Rue gas block and a middie PRI light wt tube ....in FDE....for the wife and she loves hers.

Shoots a lot of milsurp and some lighter varmint loads through it.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk253/9DivDoc/th_rifle1.jpg (http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk253/9DivDoc/?action=view&current=rifle1.jpg)

HeavyDuty
10-30-09, 21:56
I've had one on an A1 upper for a lightweight utility carbine since they were first released. I have no complaints.

peabody
10-31-09, 02:55
i would love to have a super light weight 20''

in 1:8 or 1:7

rockm4
10-31-09, 05:44
I know that i will surly get beat up for this one. But please someone tell me, what is so great about light weight rifle barrels. In My near 45 years of shooting I've always had the the though that a light barrel loses it's point of impact from point of aim, the hotter it gets. I've seen it first hand on the battle field on M60's, that GI's that would get caught up in a mad minute fire fight. To the point that the bullets would dribble out of the end of the barrel. All of the line company's that I worked along with carried an extra barrel for their M60's and a special glove to change out the trashed barrels with. So my thought is that a L/W AR barrel that shoots a 100 rounds is not going to be on target or dose that matter to anyone other than Me, ( SORRY ) but that drives Me crazy to invest as much money and time that we all do, not to have a tack driver after I shoot 4 or 5 mags? jmtcw :confused:

Patriot

blhar15
10-31-09, 08:48
The way prices has fallen on Colt's right now, get yourself a new Colt LE6520 which is the government carbine and has a light weight 1/7 twist barrel.

d30gaijin
10-31-09, 10:20
Hey guys,

GHB

I have one on my Vulcan Arms polymer upper/lower with a lightweight free float aluminum handguard and old style XM collapsible butt stock. The whole thing weighs in right at 5 pounds empty. With a Weaver 2.5-7 scope and my handloads it'll hold just at MOA at 100 yards from a solid bench rested position. With federal "Value Pack" 50 grain JHP it'll shoot 2 MOA consistently. I consider that not bad for a lightweight carry it in the Jeep/take anywhere carbine.

Don

d30gaijin
10-31-09, 10:28
I know that i will surly get beat up for this one. But please someone tell me, what is so great about light weight rifle barrels. In My near 45 years of shooting I've always had the the though that a light barrel loses it's point of impact from point of aim, the hotter it gets. jmtcw :confused:

Patriot

I would tend to agree with you under certain circumstances. But the weight of a barrel (free floated) has little effect on accuracy (even as it gets hot) if properly stress relieved from the factory. But then again, how many are properly stress relieved, and throw in a non floated barrel and things change. Still, for a take anywhere knock-about carbine mine, with a free floated barrel, is extremely compact, lightweight, and reasonably accurate. When afield I can carry it all day without aches and pains setting in (I ain't no youngster anymore).

Don

ST911
10-31-09, 12:47
I know that i will surly get beat up for this one. But please someone tell me, what is so great about light weight rifle barrels. In My near 45 years of shooting I've always had the the though that a light barrel loses it's point of impact from point of aim, the hotter it gets. I've seen it first hand on the battle field on M60's, that GI's that would get caught up in a mad minute fire fight. To the point that the bullets would dribble out of the end of the barrel. All of the line company's that I worked along with carried an extra barrel for their M60's and a special glove to change out the trashed barrels with. So my thought is that a L/W AR barrel that shoots a 100 rounds is not going to be on target or dose that matter to anyone other than Me, ( SORRY ) but that drives Me crazy to invest as much money and time that we all do, not to have a tack driver after I shoot 4 or 5 mags? jmtcw :confused: Patriot

I'd not liken the effects of heating up a LW barrel to that of a LW barrel on an M60. It's a bit different.

The advantage of a lightweight barrel...and lightweight guns in general...are the comparative ease with which they are handled, carried, and operated. 5-7 year olds can manage a 6520 pretty easily, but struggle more with others. Ladies, IBOs, and those with less strength or more disability have an easier time with them as well. Should you have to run the gun one handed because you're support side is disabled, or to clear certain conditions in the gun, you'll be glad it's a lightweight.

For the more average adult male, the difference between an M4-profile and lightweight is less an issue. However, if things can be made easier, why not? Everyone in my house and shop can run my lightweights. They may or may not be able to run others.

SPDGG
11-19-09, 18:46
Appreciate it if anyone could tell me if the barrel in question, 16" Bushmaster SuperLight, is chrome lined or not?

Thank you

Jimbo45
11-19-09, 19:11
Appreciate it if anyone could tell me if the barrel in question, 16" Bushmaster SuperLight, is chrome lined or not?

Thank you

The one that I own, is 1x9" and chrome lined. I would bet money that any SLW Bushy barrel made in the last 15-20 years (maybe even all of them) would be chrome lined.

I have several AR's and a few of them, I built in the past few years. On three builds, trying to balance quality, availability, and price, I used Bushmaster barrels, and LMT BCG's. Two of them got Bushy 16" 1x9" M4 profile barrels, and the other go a Bushy 16" SLW 1x9" barrel. Oddly enough, with iron sights, at 50 yards, the SLW outshoots the two M4 barrels by a good margin!? I wouldn't have guessed in a million years, that the super light weight would shoot that well!? If I didn't have a BCM for duty use, I would put that Bushy SLW on my duty setup. Great barrel.

rocketman
11-19-09, 22:14
Bushy, at least at one time, did a run of 1 in 7 SLW...

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk253/9DivDoc/th_rifle1.jpg (http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk253/9DivDoc/?action=view&current=rifle1.jpg)

I have both a 1 x 7 and a 1 x 9 16' SLW barrels from Bushmaster. Love'em.

Luckystiff
11-20-09, 02:14
I'm a snob. I like 1/7, M4 feed ramps and park under the FSB. I would wait for the BCM. If these are not issues to you then Bushmaster is good-to-go. This was such an issue to me that I had a Colt LW 16" cut down to 14.5 for my last build. I prefer 14.5" vs. 16". They just handle better to me. As far as the LW issue, I am sold on them and they are all I plan on buying from now on.

SPDGG
11-20-09, 02:53
Thank you everyone for the excellant info./feedback, Much appreciated.

Had another ???: Are the Bushmaster Superlight barrels chambered: 5.56 NATO or .223Rem ?

Does anyone have a pic(s) of your builds & if possible the barrel markings?

Thanks Again

seb5
11-20-09, 06:00
CMMG is also making one. It's not on their site but if you e-mail them they offer it. M4 feed ramps, chrome lined, etc........FWIW.

C4IGrant
11-20-09, 08:51
Hey guys,

GHB

Yes as DD is about to release the HF pencil barrels. ;)

We will be stocking them and doing custom builds.

C4

C4IGrant
11-20-09, 08:54
I know that i will surly get beat up for this one. But please someone tell me, what is so great about light weight rifle barrels. In My near 45 years of shooting I've always had the the though that a light barrel loses it's point of impact from point of aim, the hotter it gets. I've seen it first hand on the battle field on M60's, that GI's that would get caught up in a mad minute fire fight. To the point that the bullets would dribble out of the end of the barrel. All of the line company's that I worked along with carried an extra barrel for their M60's and a special glove to change out the trashed barrels with. So my thought is that a L/W AR barrel that shoots a 100 rounds is not going to be on target or dose that matter to anyone other than Me, ( SORRY ) but that drives Me crazy to invest as much money and time that we all do, not to have a tack driver after I shoot 4 or 5 mags? jmtcw :confused:

Patriot

What you are saying is true IF you are shooting it FA. If the pencil barrel is free floated, I don't think you can get it hot enough to warp it.

IMHO, there is NO reason to ever get a barrel heavier than an M4/Govt profile and a pencil barrel is really where its at.

C4

HeavyDuty
11-20-09, 08:59
IMHO, there is NO reason to ever get a barrel heavier than an M4/Govt profile and a pencil barrel is really where its at.

C4

I'm a nobody, but I heartily agree with this statement!

ST911
11-20-09, 22:58
Thank you everyone for the excellant info./feedback, Much appreciated. Had another ???: Are the Bushmaster Superlight barrels chambered: 5.56 NATO or .223Rem ? Does anyone have a pic(s) of your builds & if possible the barrel markings? Thanks Again

They are likely to be found with a 5.56 chamber. The dims of which will vary.

Don't have a pic handy, but mine were marked B MP 5.56. I think there was a chrome reference, but I don't recall. They were chrome lined.

Jimbo45
11-21-09, 00:47
Thank you everyone for the excellant info./feedback, Much appreciated.

Had another ???: Are the Bushmaster Superlight barrels chambered: 5.56 NATO or .223Rem ?

Does anyone have a pic(s) of your builds & if possible the barrel markings?

Thanks Again

This one was a truck gun build, and eventual hand-me-down to my daughter (she is only 10 months old currently). It is really light, surprisingly accurate (more so than my M4 profiles w/ irons, for some reason), and simple. I love this rifle. I like the light handling of it so much, I am going to build a lightweight for my duty rifle, this summer. :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_1996.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_2001.jpg