PDA

View Full Version : Robar or new DPMS bolt?

LMTRocks
10-30-09, 20:00
So my LMT stripped upper and lower are down in GA getting cerakoted---
They're going to get a JP rifle floating tube with a few 2" rail sections as soon as brownells gets them back in stock. Barrel: Wilson Combat 16" 6.8 middy w/Brownells lo profile gas block and Del-Ton middy gas tube. Smith Enterprises Vortex Flash Hider from G&R in 5/8-24 and a Tango VFG to accept my pressure pad to my Streamlight TLR-1. Here comes the simple question:

I have an LMT carrier that previously held a 5.56 bolt that was sold to a dealer because it only had 200rds downrange. Gas block, barrel, FH, pins, gas tube, and I kept the carrier and everything else. So, I'm wanting to make the carrier stainless/silver/whatever is close to stainless to reasonably match the barrel and vortex----either Robar NP3 for $95+s/h both ways for my LMT carrier, or get a complete DPMS 5.56 chromed carrier for $135.....

Again, only 200rds on my LMT carrier, 0 malfunctions. And the only difference will be the 6.8 bolt going into it as soon as I get it. The wilson combat barrel probably won't be here for another week.

Will the Robar refinishing in NP3 be that much better than the DPMS hard chrome? I know NP3 is good for lubricity purposes and easier to clean, but will adding to the thickness of it cause it to cycle less smoothly in the receiver? Just looking for a few words of advice. Thanks to everyone in advance for your help. God bless.

Col_Crocs
10-30-09, 20:37
If youre already considering purchasing a new one, Id go ahead and do so and keep the LMT for another build.
As for your choice of chromed BCGs, There are better ones out there. Do a search on Young MFG BCG and Fail Zero. No experience with either so I cant say if theyre any good but it's probably safe to say theyre atleast better than the DPMS BCG.
One other option is to get a chrome carrier and get a BCM bolt.