PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on my malfunction?

Col_Crocs
10-31-09, 07:29
Had A new Malfunction the other day... or atleast Ive never had one like this before. Im suspecting out of spec round but Id like to see what you guys think. I was using the usual military surplus M193.
Shot several rounds (about 56 already) without a hitch and decided to give it a break. I was just about to clear the weapon when I noticed the bolt wasnt engaged all the way in. At first I thought it was an over-expanded casing as I couldnt pull the CH.
Hit the forward assist to get to close all the way in. Took a bit of a thumb push but it did. CH still wouldnt pull back all the way, just up to the same position I found it in (The carrier being over 1/4" from fully closed). Pushed Forward assist again which took more force the second time then took it apart. Once upper and lower were separated, the BCG fell back rather easily and was surprised to find an unfired round eject.
DIdnt see anything too unusual about it but also had no way of measuring it to confirm.
Fired about 90 rounds of the same ammo after that without any other issues.

Blankwaffe
10-31-09, 08:57
Yeap,probably just a tweaked bullet and you resized it with the chamber and foward assist action.
Ive had some dinged case shoulders do the same thing.

Col_Crocs
10-31-09, 13:31
Good to know. Thanks. I shot it again BTW because I couldnt get the issue off my mind. No hitches. Ran fine even on F/A.

Heavy Metal
10-31-09, 13:51
You sure you weren't shooting reloads by mistake? Sounds like an oversized round.

Col_Crocs
10-31-09, 14:32
Ya, pretty sure. I dont reload my 5.56 rounds and this happened at our private range so no chances of picking up someone elses reload.
BTW, would a KB have resulted if I fired that round after shutting the BCG with the forward assist?

Heavy Metal
10-31-09, 14:43
Likely not.

Remember there is no Forward Assist needed in Tap(I.E. Push-Pull)-Rack-Bang.

I perosnally think the forward assist has the ability to turn a minor stoppage into an inoperable weapon.

My rule of thumb is thumb pressure only by rotating and not removing your strong hand from its master grip, never strike it with the heel of your palm and use T(P-P)RB for immediate action.

Blankwaffe
10-31-09, 19:23
Likely not.

I perosnally think the forward assist has the ability to turn a minor stoppage into an inoperable weapon.

My rule of thumb is thumb pressure only by rotating and not removing your strong hand from its master grip, never strike it with the heel of your palm and use T(P-P)RB for immediate action.

I resemble that remark.
Learned the hard way that if the cartridge does not correctly feed into the chamber under the pressure/energy provided by the carrier and buffer spring,banging on the foward assist just makes the situation worse.In my case it required a cleaning rod to drive the stuck round out after some persistant foward assist tapping.
Since that time I dont touch the foward assist at all...if it fails to go into battery I eject and start over.
Also learned to inspect each and every cartridge as it loaded into the magazine.

Col_Crocs
10-31-09, 21:12
Likely not.

Thanks for the tip. Will keep definitely keep that in mind.
I got lucky. I shouldve taken it apart after the first time it shut with just thumb pressure.

d30gaijin
10-31-09, 21:36
Had A new Malfunction the other day... or atleast Ive never had one like this before. Im suspecting out of spec round but Id like to see what you guys think. I was using the usual military surplus M193.
Shot several rounds (about 56 already) without a hitch and decided to give it a break. I was just about to clear the weapon when I noticed the bolt wasnt engaged all the way in. At first I thought it was an over-expanded casing as I couldnt pull the CH.
Hit the forward assist to get to close all the way in. Took a bit of a thumb push but it did. CH still wouldnt pull back all the way, just up to the same position I found it in (The carrier being over 1/4" from fully closed). Pushed Forward assist again which took more force the second time then took it apart. Once upper and lower were separated, the BCG fell back rather easily and was surprised to find an unfired round eject.
DIdnt see anything too unusual about it but also had no way of measuring it to confirm.
Fired about 90 rounds of the same ammo after that without any other issues.

Most likely caused by a cartridge case that was too long though not detected during loading (manufacture) of the round by the manufacturer (out of spec in terms of cartridge case "trimmed to" length) that was crimped to spec resulting in pushing the shoulder back causing a slight bell or ring to form at the ass end of the shoulder, most often not detected (it doesn't take much over length to cause it) and will only be seen upon close examination of each round. Unusual but not unheard of (I've experienced it in factory new, remanufactured rounds, and my own hand loads when I haven't done my part).

Don

Col_Crocs
10-31-09, 22:02
I shouldve kept it to see how badly belled it was... Was too annoyed to think rationally and just tossed it in the pond. :D

d30gaijin
10-31-09, 22:33
I shouldve kept it to see how badly belled it was... Was too annoyed to think rationally and just tossed it in the pond. :D

Polluter! Always recycle. ;)

Don

Col_Crocs
11-01-09, 00:42
oh ya... too annoyed to think of that too. ahahahaha! :D