PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on barrel re-profiling?

gt5966b
10-31-09, 12:12
I took an EAG class about a month ago and after a couple of days of shooting and also comparing my carbine to others in the class, i've become a little more interested in managing forward weight.

The single heaviest thing i've got on my rifle is a Denny's Operator barrel (great barrel by the way!). The profile under the handguard is pretty thick (its a proprietary profile i believe) and i was thinking about having it turned down by Adco.

What kind of loss in accuracy am i going to incur dropping it down to gov't profile? What other considerations do i need to mindful of when thinking about re-profiling?

thanks in advance for any help.

Quib
10-31-09, 14:13
I had ADCO turn down my 20” rifle barrel from a HBAR profile to a government profile. I saw no noticeable change in accuracy. The reduction in profile basically cut the weight of the barrel in half. The one thing that WAS definitely noticeable.....was the weight change.

gt5966b
10-31-09, 15:20
Quib - thanks for the input. pulled the barrel already. it should be at ADCO within a week or so. what was the turn around time?

Robb Jensen
10-31-09, 15:49
I like a .650" profile under the rail. A little heavier if using a suppressor, like .700"

Quib
10-31-09, 15:58
Quib - thanks for the input. pulled the barrel already. it should be at ADCO within a week or so. what was the turn around time?

It's been over a year since I had this work done. But I want to say "turn-around-time" was a little over a week.

JStor
10-31-09, 21:36
I had a Colt HBar 20 inch barrel turned down and reparked since it was at ADCO for threading anyway. If I recall correctly, it's around .700 inch under the handguards now, and the boys at ADCO were pretty quick.

Tangotag
10-31-09, 22:51
I have had 3 barrels re-profiled about 6 years ago. They were all 1/9 chrome lined.
One was a heavy 20" to Government profile its a A2 upper, DCM freefloated lightweight and one hell of a tack driver.
A heavy 20" cut to Government and chopped to 16", full sight radius and freefloated I am tempted to set this one up as kind of an SPR or at least test it out.
A heavy barreled CAR recut to match the Colt M4 profile. It's a 55 grain cheap shooter, trunk gun.
At the time I freefloated the barrels on reassembly and my accuracy was improved. I attributed the accuracy more to the FF but the lighter weight may have helped in prolonged shooting.