PDA

View Full Version : Any electricians in the house?

rob_s
10-31-09, 15:15
Not sure why there's so many wires here. The switch on the right controls the light indoors above our front door, the empty spot on the right is for a separate light outside the front door.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/projects/107_3916.jpg

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-31-09, 15:17
CUT THE BLUE WIRE!!!!!

Is the indoor one a three way switch?

b_w_hlls
10-31-09, 15:30
the black wire on the botom of the right switch most likely is the common for the 3-way circuit, can't tell without a meter, but it looks like the romex coming from the bottom of the box is the feed ( hot, neutral , and ground). What are you trying to do, replace a switch or add a switch.

rob_s
10-31-09, 15:48
trying to replace the switch on the left. switch on the right is still good.

Robb Jensen
10-31-09, 15:51
Switches there may have controlled other stuff in the past like a ceiling fan and or ceiling light.

tb417
10-31-09, 16:47
My first thought is that the 3-wire (with red) cable are the "travelers" for a three-way switch and the lower 2-wire on the bottom is power in. Is there an outlet below the switch? If so, then the chances are that the "hot" wire is in the light fixture, the hot comes down on the black wire and switches the light on the red. The 2-wire on the bottom is power out to the outlet. Without meter readings my guess is that the black wire (from the 3-wire), the black wire below, the black wire attached to the switch and a short jumper attached to the new switch, all (four) get put under one wirenut. The black wire upper left goes to the other screw on the new switch.

Yes, I am an electrician.

P.s. if you feel brave turn the power on and touch the 3-wire black to the 3-wire red and see in the light above comes on.

rob_s
10-31-09, 16:56
I updated the original photo with where I'm getting readings or not getting them.

rob_s
10-31-09, 16:59
P.s. if you feel brave turn the power on and touch the 3-wire black to the 3-wire red and see in the light above comes on.

B-3 to red? touched 'em, no dice.

rob_s
10-31-09, 17:13
The one on the left was a crazy timer switch that I hated and the GF loved. She bought a new one to go there that has a green, white, black, and red sticking out of the back. I couldn't get it to work and thought maybe it would be easier to go back to a regular switch.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-31-09, 17:24
Not an electrician, but I replaced over 100 switches and outlets that were painted over in the house we bought. (The lady loved outlets every 4 feet in her rooms,but painted over them ???)

Set-up switch2 with a short section (pigtail) like the other one. Attach B3 to the other terminal on switch2.

Connect S2pigtail, R , B1 and B2 with a wire nut?

B2 must go to more outlets? You could leave it out of the above and figure out what isn't hot to find out where it goes.

Was there not a switch in place for the outdoor light?

I installed some electonic three way dimmer switches and it vexed me for a week. I started just methodically swapping wires after finding the hot and still couldn't get it to work. It ended up that since the switches only controlled outlets and I didn't have a lamp plugged in, I was just using a testor. Well, those digital dimmer switches need at least 50w on them, or they don't function. Plugged a lamp in and had it wired in 10 minutes.

Love to see the electricians talking about ARs on their forums. I probably just made them cringe like they would make us cring.

rob_s
10-31-09, 18:01
So I connected B-1 and R to a pigtail sticking out of the new switch, and B-3 into the other end of that switch, and capped B-2 with electrical tape and jammed the whole thing back together. both switches work, and I'm sure the whole house will be burned down by morning.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-31-09, 18:18
Make sure b2 doesn't go to your sump pump. B2, you sank my house!

Now, about the purple wall.....

WWW.ELECTRICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

rob_s
10-31-09, 18:27
FWIW it's actually a dark red, the flash was just too bright and made it purple.

tb417
10-31-09, 22:53
B2 is probably something, (maybe an outside outlet?) if you end up needing it put it with B1 and R.

That new timer thing put green with the bare, white with whites, black with B-1, R, (B-2?), and red with B-3.

But as my grandpa always said, "If it works now, slowly back away and never touch it again.":D