PDA

View Full Version : Is this a problem?

asharris7
10-31-09, 16:04
I took my Stag out to the range today was wondering where the brass should end up. To give you the full picture, I replaced the factory BCG witha DD BCG. I upgraded the DD BCG with a BCM spring kit and put the O-ring on there too. I also upgraded the buffer to a BCM H-buffer. Long story longer, some of the brass was ending up on the tabel where I was shooting(not a very big table). I saw it ejecting at about 3 o'clock so thats good, it just wasn't going very far. Any reason for that fellas? Thanks all for your help!

Aaron

Iraqgunz
10-31-09, 16:12
You probably more than likely don't need the O-ring. I would pull it off and see what happens.

I took my Stag out to the range today was wondering where the brass should end up. To give you the full picture, I replaced the factory BCG witha DD BCG. I upgraded the DD BCG with a BCM spring kit and put the O-ring on there too. I also upgraded the buffer to a BCM H-buffer. Long story longer, some of the brass was ending up on the tabel where I was shooting(not a very big table). I saw it ejecting at about 3 o'clock so thats good, it just wasn't going very far. Any reason for that fellas? Thanks all for your help!

Aaron

d30gaijin
10-31-09, 17:02
I agree with Iraqgunz but would also ask what ammunition you're shooting? The combination of the heavier BCG and the H buffer with ammunition that is loaded on the light side will cause the problem too. I did the same conversion to my Stag using a BCM 16 carrier and H buffer but haven't been out to the range with it yet (just put the new parts in yesterday) and plan to take the original Stag buffer along just in case. I'll be shooting two different loads, one my handloads that I know are on the light side and factory Federal 50 grain HP.

I did talk (email) the folks at BCM about the o-ring because it is supplied with the BCM BCG but not installed. They advised that with their spring the o-ring is not necessary unless one has a troublesome carbine, which is why they go ahead and include it. What's a "troublesome carbine?" Beats me but mine isn't one.

Regards,
Don

Iraqgunz
10-31-09, 19:34
By troublesome I am thinking one that has a non-556 chamber and has issues extracting. By adding the O-ring you add more tension to the extractor which helps with the issue, but doesn't really solve it.

I agree with Iraqgunz but would also ask what ammunition you're shooting? The combination of the heavier BCG and the H buffer with ammunition that is loaded on the light side will cause the problem too. I did the same conversion to my Stag using a BCM 16 carrier and H buffer but haven't been out to the range with it yet (just put the new parts in yesterday) and plan to take the original Stag buffer along just in case. I'll be shooting two different loads, one my handloads that I know are on the light side and factory Federal 50 grain HP.

I did talk (email) the folks at BCM about the o-ring because it is supplied with the BCM BCG but not installed. They advised that with their spring the o-ring is not necessary unless one has a troublesome carbine, which is why they go ahead and include it. What's a "troublesome carbine?" Beats me but mine isn't one.

Regards,
Don

d30gaijin
10-31-09, 21:12
By troublesome I am thinking one that has a non-556 chamber and has issues extracting. By adding the O-ring you add more tension to the extractor which helps with the issue, but doesn't really solve it.

Iraqgunz,

Makes sense.

I want to thank you: 1) for your service and; 2) for sharing your knowledge here.

I'm new here but have done a lot of searching and reading of new and old threads, and responses to same, and note your incredible knowledge and your willingness to share it with the rest of us.

Both are truly appreciated.

Don

GrumpyM4
11-01-09, 05:47
My questions would be as follows.....

Where was it throwing the brass prior to the change out of the BCG and the upgrades,

And did the rifle lock the bolt back properly when the magazines ran empty?

When you did the changeover, you made changes to several parts of the system, so tryingto narrow the issue down to a single modification could prove to be problomatic without switching everything back, and then changing one thing at a time until you get back to your new configuration.

Just something to think about.