PDA

View Full Version : I know current Oly rifles are crap... but what about their barrels?

HeavyDuty
10-31-09, 18:41
Are their barrels as bad as the completed rifles? They make a 416 stainless LW 16" that looks interesting for the price.

SHIVAN
10-31-09, 18:58
It's probably a Wilson barrel, so it would probably be Ok.

peabody
10-31-09, 20:20
Are their barrels as bad as the completed rifles? They make a 416 stainless LW 16" that looks interesting for the price.

bad ? never heard of a ''bad'' ar.

some of my buddys LOVE their oly's .. wouldn't give them up for anything.

i dont own a oly, but if someone was to give me one . i'ed take it.

olys are very accurate.

d30gaijin
10-31-09, 20:28

I have had excellent results over 20 years with their Stainless Ultra Match (SUM) broach cut barrels, all have been very accurate. With that said, those were barrels bought 10 or more years ago. Back then they clearly advertised the twist rate of the SUM as either 1/10 or 1/8.5 (your choice) something I see they are not doing now, or at least I can't find it on their web site so it appears as if they are 1/9 now-a-days. And 1/9 is fine for a carbine barrel assuming you'll not be shooting heavier than a 70 grain bullet. So it depends on the barrel you want and what you'll be using it for. If you want a 20 or 24 inch barrel I would pass as 1/9 won't handle the 77 to 80 grain bullets, and to me that's why one buys a barrel of that length. If you're looking at an M4 length (16 inch) then they make a decent 1/9 barrel in the SUM, but I wouldn't spend the money for one. I'd go with a good carbon steel chrome lined barrel (Oly Arms carbon steel barrels are, in my experience, very iffy in terms of quality and accuracy) with 1/7 twist from someone like BCM, LMT, and others with known good reputations, even if it costs a bit more.

From my experience with Oly, and this is only my personal experience with them, they seem more concerned with quantity cranked out than quality.

YMMV

Don

Heavy Metal
10-31-09, 20:57
From my experience with Oly, and this is only my personal experience with them, they seem more concerned with quantity cranked out than quality.

ROTFLMAO!!!!

CaptainDooley
10-31-09, 21:48

olys are very accurate.

You must be new here... LOL.

Oly's are bad. Real bad. If someone gave me one... I'd melt it down to make sure no one else had to shoot it.

Check this out:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

ST911
10-31-09, 21:55

In my experience, their barrels I've seen have been average to pretty good. One of the most accurate standard production barrels I've ever shot was on an Oly PCR-5. The chambers are the problem. If you'd like a 5.56 chamber, anticipate that you'll receive a .223 chamber of some dimension, despite markings or advertisement. Where that .223 chamber is in the range of spec will vary too. See also: DPMS

There are known-goods out there where there is no guesswork. Might be best to stick with those.

bad ? never heard of a ''bad'' ar. some of my buddys LOVE their oly's .. wouldn't give them up for anything. i dont own a oly, but if someone was to give me one . i'ed take it. olys are very accurate.

"Bad" is subjective I guess, but there are indeed some. Hit the stickies to see what criteria should be applied to see if they are so.

HeavyDuty
11-01-09, 08:29
Good point about the chamber. I don't have a 5.56 reamer, so...

Eric
11-01-09, 08:55
It's probably a Wilson barrel, so it would probably be Ok.Not Wilson. They are manufactured by Oly.

peabody
11-01-09, 11:30
You must be new here... LOL.

Oly's are bad. Real bad. If someone gave me one... I'd melt it down to make sure no one else had to shoot it.

Check this out:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

lol... ok.

if you say so.

peabody

SV650Squid
11-01-09, 11:55
Olympic *IS* making rifles for the USAF now...

http://www.oa2.org/forums/download.php?id=4667

:eek:

So much WTF in that pic...

Stickman
11-01-09, 12:10
The Oly SS barrels that I've seen and used have been very accurate, though I've seen a few tight chambers. Their SS barrels tend to be much higher quality than their others from what I have seen.

Sry0fcr
11-01-09, 12:28

Dummy rifles.

E53001
11-01-09, 13:19
they got the hint and switched to making only non firing replicas now ?? :D

lindertw
11-01-09, 16:14

peabody
11-01-09, 16:19
i dunno ? all you guys who have a oly. and dont like it...send it to me ...:D

Iraqgunz
11-01-09, 16:39
It has nothing to do with like. It is the fact that they do not perform and have an unproven track record.

BVickery
11-01-09, 17:33
Have you run your Oly through a regular carbine class? As I have stated before I know a few people who thought that since their ARs didn't malfunction at the range during light use they were good to go for a serious carbine class. They went to the carbine class and had lots of problems. Lots of Failure to Fire, Failure ot Eject, Failure to feed, stovepipes.

Oly and the others are fine for general range use, but I would never put my life in hands of one since they HAD to cut corners to get them to the price point being sold.

peabody
11-01-09, 18:44
tell me ? about these corners ?

Iraqgunz
11-01-09, 19:24
The DPMS issues are well known and we aren't going to beat that horse. If you want to know to a search and read through the various threads here.

tell me ? about these corners ?

decodeddiesel
11-01-09, 19:49

Real tough looking with your fly down!!! HAHAHHAAHA!!!

Rare when a tech thread leads to an expansion of my ignore list, but this thread delivers.

HeavyDuty
11-01-09, 20:31
As I mentioned, I don't own a 5.56 reamer. How much would I expect to spend on having reaming done by a competent gunsmith?

As I mentioned, the price is attractive as is the construction.

Hat Creek
11-01-09, 21:21
I've been in carbine classes with Oly guns. Fairly demanding classes on both shooter and gun. Have yet to see an Oly finish. Granted, fairly small sample on which to base an opinion.

However, I have been in the Oly plant and seen all the production lines. I cannot provide any endorsement based on that experience. It would make an interesting walk through for a DRE expert.

peabody
11-01-09, 21:58
ok.
:D:D:D

Alaskapopo
11-01-09, 22:51

olys are very accurate.

You have not been here very long have you? OLYS suck. I rode that horse a long time ago. So many things were wrong with the rifle. First off the free floated hanguard was not secured from the factory. It was loose and could be turned by hand. The bi pod stud was drilled 20 degrees off center, the chamber was bad and bulged cases on even the lightest factory .223 ammo. It shot 1.5 moa and it was a 24 inch match gun. I sent the gun back and it took 18 months for them to put a new barrel on it. I had to threaten legal action. They finally sent the gun back repaired. They lied several times before then saying the gun was in the mail, it was going to be done any time etc. Then once I got it back the set trigger started to double. They would not fix it. I ended up putting a JP in it. I sold that gun at a huge loss and will never own another oly piece of S#@t again.
Pat

Alaskapopo
11-01-09, 22:55
they got the hint and switched to making only non firing replicas now ?? :D

Yea because their first ones were dangerous as they would actually sometimes fire.
Pat

Bolt_Overide
11-01-09, 23:13
lol... ok.

if you say so.

peabody

it isnt him saying so, or me saying so, or any other single person saying so. Its a vast amount of experience saying so, ignore it if you want, your money and life.

HeavyDuty
11-02-09, 08:24
Ahhh, it's not worth the risk to save a few bucks, even for a utility gun.

Thanks for the input, people!

C4IGrant
11-02-09, 08:56

Typically speaking, Oly only uses the cheapest barrel steel available (specifically on the CM side).

I don't know about their SS barrels.

C4

C4IGrant
11-02-09, 08:58

olys are very accurate.

Most people that love their Oly's have never owned any other AR so really don't know any better.

Oly AR's typically have .223 chambers so they SHOULD shoot better than AR's with 556 NATO chambers.

.223 chambers are great for shooting paper and varmints, but not so good for high round count type activities (like training).

C4

C4IGrant
11-02-09, 09:01

If I owned an Oly, it would mean one of two things:

1. I lost a bet.
2. One was given to me for FREE.

Either way, the gun would be used for one of the following things:

1. Hold a door open.
2. Dig a hole.
3. Donated to charity.
4. Used as a training aid for what NOT TO BUY.

C4

SHIVAN
11-02-09, 09:17
Not Wilson. They are manufactured by Oly.

From raw materials to finished product, really? Companies like ArmaLite, Bushmaster and LWRC and others still buy some of their blanks or short chambered stock from barrel makers rather than devote in-house resources.

That's quite an undertaking if Oly is producing them in-house using raw materials, then in-house labor for profiling, chambering, rifling, etc.

TOrrock
11-02-09, 09:24
I do believe that Oly manufactures their own barrels. The guy who started/was in at the ground floor at Oly shot Schutzen rifles, and one of the things they pride themselves on is their barrels.

They do tend to make very accurate match barrels, but they won't be 5.56mm chamber and the .223 chambers will more than likely be tight too.

I wouldn't trust them for a working carbine. Target rifle, sure, but not a social rifle.

By the time you pay someone to rework the chamber, you're probably better off buying right the first time.

SHIVAN
11-02-09, 09:53
I do believe that Oly manufactures their own barrels.

Interesting, thanks for the clarification. Figured Eric was right, but it seemed tough to believe considering they have so many deficiencies in other areas that making barrels could be outsourced to get other things right.

Rock-N-Ruin
11-02-09, 13:49
If I owned an Oly, it would mean one of two things:

1. I lost a bet.
2. One was given to me for FREE.

Either way, the gun would be used for one of the following things:

1. Hold a door open.
2. Dig a hole.
3. Donated to charity.
4. Used as a training aid for what NOT TO BUY.

C4
I'll vote for #1
That's funny!!!!

Jaeger
11-03-09, 03:18
I ran an Oly match rifle in Service Rifle competition for 2 years. It had the broach cut heavy chrome moly barrel and was one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned.
I hand loaded all my own ammo and cleaned it religiously. It never saw a hard day and after a break in period of about 250 rounds, never gave me any problems.
My best load consisted of Nosler J4 62gr match bullets and (I think) 25.3gr of Varget. Off the bench I could regularly get sub moa using iron sights. With a scope it would do .5 moa.
I wouldn't turn down one of their barrels for a match rifle.