PDA

View Full Version : H Buffer For Middy?

marh415
10-31-09, 22:37
I'm running a full auto carrier with a standard buffer, Will I notice a difference in recoil if I upgrade to an H buffer?, or is it a waste of money?

Selftest
11-01-09, 06:37
I have an H buffer in my BCM midlength. I know this doesn't answer your question, but Mine runs fine with the BCM BCG and H buffer.

Captains1911
11-01-09, 14:32
The standard CAR buffer is the ideal buffer for a mid-length gas system, but an H-buffer will work. You probably wouldn't notice much if any difference by switching to a H-buffer. With that said, I run an H-buffer with auto carrier in my middy only because that's the buffer that came with my BCM lower.

Blob
11-01-09, 15:38
I run a carbine buffer in my BCM middy. If it works well then there's no reason to change.

Chuck TX
11-03-09, 19:19
Probably wouldn't notice it. Might change the ejection path.

I run an H buffer in my middys with f/a BCGs. The Noveske N4 Recce came with an H buffer.

MisterWilson
11-03-09, 20:21
Hold the rifle with one hand away from from your body (unshouldered) and shoot your weakest ammo. If it still locks back after the last round, you should be good to go.

zgrins1
11-03-09, 21:01
Sabre middy with a BCM BCG, CS spring and an H buffer. Runs fine with LC XM193 and puts the brass about 4' at 3 o'clock. No malfs for 1000 rds. with Pmags, Lancers and USGI mags.

Magsz
11-03-09, 23:24
Im rocking an H buffer in my Noveske midlength and i havent run into any issues with it even running underpowered ammo.

You will be fine.

Mung
11-04-09, 08:33
Noveske ships their midlengths with H buffer. Good enough for me.

Pelican82
11-05-09, 09:47
I will find out soon enough. I am getting my BCM FA BCG in the mail today, and I have a carbine buffer on my middy. I will be taking it to a Carbine class in a couple of weeks.

notorious_ar15
11-06-09, 21:08
Is there any advantage to running the 'H' buffer in a mid-length AR?

Won't this slow things down when the gun gets dirty?

98z28
11-12-09, 16:34
notorious_ar15,

The advantage is that you are, at least in theory, not beating the gun up as much with an H-buffer.

You are correct in that the counter argument is you may have cycling issues with a dirty gun and/or weak ammo.

Hunter Rose
11-13-09, 12:37
I ran my BCM middy through an EAG class with an H buffer and a FA carrier. Narry a problem, chugged along great. This was using Prvi M193. Works fine with Black Hills 75gr .223 as well.

blade_68
11-13-09, 23:06
I'm shooting mid with standard 3.9 oz buffer no problem more noticeably recoil than my m-4... cleaned my old m-4/203 from Iraq and turned in felt like losing old friend took over 2 month to get trigger that smooth.:(

QuietShootr
11-13-09, 23:24
I believe in using the heaviest buffer a gun will cycle with reliably.

My LMT MRP 16" midlength will pass my function check (fire 5 rounds and lock back on an empty mag, held with one hand, rotate 90 degrees and repeat three times) with a Colt 9mm buffer. This to me indicates it's a little over gassed. I settled on an H2 for this gun just to gain that extra margin of safety when it's very dirty, though the 9mm never caused any problems.

DTHN2LGS
11-14-09, 16:31
I run a carbine buffer in my BCM middy. If it works well, then there's no reason to change.

Same here.

ADC
11-22-09, 06:55
A standard car buffer will work on a middy just fine with commercial ammo, if you are using mil spec ammo and or running on a FA lower then defiantly use the H buffer. If you add a can in with the mil spec ammo and FA lower then go with a H2

seb5
11-22-09, 08:55
I've ran them with both buffers but did notice with my 14.5 w/perm FH and mid length that the standard buffer was the way to go with commercial or even wolf ammo. With the H buffer and the aforementioned ammo it was not 100% reliable. With mil ammo it was.

I have wondered if by chopping the mid length it affected the dwell time enough to require use of the standard buffer. FWIW I use a F/A carrier. Any ideas? I'll be giving it a good workout in December in a 3 day EAG class but I like to eliminate any possible variables before then.

Pelican82
11-22-09, 18:30
Ran my middy upper with a carbine buffer through a carbine course Saturday. Not one problem to report.

ADC
11-28-09, 09:28
If you are using a standard buffer and your gun is runnin fine and not throwing the brass at 1 o'clock but at the 3 o'clock position you will be OK. I don't like to see guns runnin too fast, yes allot are over gassed and run too fast and most run ok at higher speed, but your extractor has to be up to snuff to keep everything runnin along. Thing is there is a very wide spectrum in ammo these days, just use the buffer that works best in your rifle.

I've ran them with both buffers but did notice with my 14.5 w/perm FH and mid length that the standard buffer was the way to go with commercial or even wolf ammo. With the H buffer and the aforementioned ammo it was not 100% reliable. With mil ammo it was.

I have wondered if by chopping the mid length it affected the dwell time enough to require use of the standard buffer. FWIW I use a F/A carrier. Any ideas? I'll be giving it a good workout in December in a 3 day EAG class but I like to eliminate any possible variables before then.

YVK
11-28-09, 17:03

I have wondered if by chopping the mid length it affected the dwell time enough to require use of the standard buffer. FWIW I use a F/A carrier

Theoretically, it could be the case; practically, I think there is too much variability between individual guns, gas port sizes, conditions of extractors/springs etc to make general guesses. My midlength 14.5 BCM upper went through 1600 rounds of Wolf and 200 rounds of S&B ammo during 2 day Magpul class with one stoppage that had nothing to do with a buffer. That rifle has a F/A carrier and H buffer.