11-01-09, 19:46
interesting

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=127&idcategory=6

d30gaijin
11-01-09, 22:19
interesting

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=127&idcategory=6

Interesting... in what way?

If you've ever shot precision rifle you'd know that a comp on a heavy barreled .223 rifle i.e., a precision rifle, is not necessary nor desired. What is required is a clean cut perpendicular crown, unencumbered by a comp.

From my experience, it is more "buy this!" fodder for the uninitiated.

Don

tolson68
11-01-09, 22:24
It is intended for anything upto a 338 Lapua. Could be nice.

carbinero
11-02-09, 10:15
Based on the internal diameter, I don't imagine they had 223 in mind.

I'm pretty happy with my FSC30, although I'm guessing the PRC will do a better job on comping, without the flash suppressing. Although it's daylight, I didn't see much (if any) flash on the video, however. Also, based on my experience with the FSC, I assume the PRC won't be as loud as many others, and perhaps the extra length helps in that respect. All speculation so far.

The only downside I see so far, other than the length, is the acronym. And maybe that'll just make for a funny irony.

boltcatch
11-02-09, 17:53
PRC? What, People's Republic of California? :p

Stickman
11-02-09, 18:04
Interesting... in what way?

If you've ever shot precision rifle you'd know that a comp on a heavy barreled .223 rifle i.e., a precision rifle, is not necessary nor desired. What is required is a clean cut perpendicular crown, unencumbered by a comp.

From my experience, it is more "buy this!" fodder for the uninitiated.

Don

Welcome to the board. Since you are bringing it up, what is your experience?

d30gaijin
11-02-09, 19:50

3 years active Army (66-69) 17 years USAR Reserves.

High power across the course competitor since 1989, Service Rifle and Match Rifle shooting an AR in both classes long before AR's were considered competitive. In fact they were actually looked upon in those days as a joke in the high power community (you have no idea how much derogatory crap I took back in those days) but I stuck with it because Sierra had just released the 80 Match King making the AR competitive to 600 yards. The AR's potential at 200 & 300, particularly in the rapid fire stages was known back then but it was uncompetitive at 600 until Sierra came out with their 80 grain MK.

Oregon State Long Range Championship Match Winner 1994 (1000 yards).

Palma competitor since 1992 (I shoot mostly the western USA and Canada but have shot Camp Perry).

Firing Team Member USA Goodwill team to Canada (USA/Canada/UK) 1999 & 2000 (USA Team second high team scoring competitor 1999 and high team scoring competitor 2000).

2001 Idaho State Sniper/Spotter Team Championships match winner.

Since 2003 I have been shooting .223 in Palma matches (800/900/1000 yards) in a bolt gun and played around for a year (2006) with a 30" barreled no gas system single shot purpose built (by me) AR at 800/900/1000 yards.

11 years living on and managing the local public shooting range (host to the annual Idaho State Sniper/Spotter team Championships).

Not a spectacular resume, perhaps, (no major wins) but I have a lot of trigger time on long range courses with both the .223 and .308 and have shot with the best long range shooters in the world, and have actually bested a few of them on occasion but obviously not consistently enough.

And that while working two jobs for the past 31 years.

I am only now getting back into the tactical side of the AR.

Don

d30gaijin
11-02-09, 20:38

As a side note; I know Todd, owner of PWS. He is local to me. I have had a complete tour of their shop, which is very impressive. PWS uses our range for their testing so my comments were not intended as a negative toward PWS. They are a first class outfit and offer great products to the shooting community. I only questioned the need for a comp on a .223 and obviously did not read far enough into their advert to understand they are offering it for larger calibers. For that I apologize. For the larger calibers a comp/break can be a God send.

Don

edwin907
11-03-09, 13:38
"30" barreled no gas system single shot purpose built (by me) AR at 800/900/1000 yards"

Man, like to see a pic of this!

I was lucky to pick up a couple of the FSC556 Quickcomp/G5 mounts before they were discontinued. Thanks to Todd for making product lines like that with little demand.