PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Blaser R93 LSR2's?

Cesiumsponge
03-01-07, 23:55
Just curious if anyone here owns, or has experience with the Blaser R93 LSR2 rifles and could chime in. From what few tidbits of information I can find (not many), they are supposedly scary accurate and they have a neat straight pull-back bolt system. I've only manged to find a few short blurbs, reviews, and images. It's even difficult to find a dealer that'll sell the rifle, the kit, or the accessories. I believe I've only found two leads thusfar.:mad:

shark31
03-02-07, 15:51
A good friend of mine has one that I've put a few rounds through. The accuracy is fantastic, but I haven't shot it past 600yds. His had the .308 barrel group in it and I found it to be incredibly heavy for what it was and the brake was a little large for the caliber. The bolt takes some getting used to and felt somewhat sloppy when locking/unlocking. I also wasn't ecstatic about the ergos, even when I adjusted it to fit me.

UrbanM4
05-09-08, 13:43
I would be the friend Shark31 is refering to...the rifle is actually not heavy at all, he must have been confusing the weight with the TRG-22 we were also shooting that day. Overall the rifle is pretty damn good on a bench for a factory prodiction, I don't know what they're going for now days, but do no they arn't making any more...

ToddG
05-10-08, 00:01
This is the first group I ever fired from a scoped rifle. Five shots at 100yd with a new LRS2-308. The .45 cartridge is shown for size comparison.
http://greent.com/webimg/groups/LRS2-5shots.jpg

I had a few in my possession for about three years, in .308, .300, and .338. Long range rifle shooting is way out of my area of expertise, but I can tell you what little I know:

The bolt is ridiculously fast once you learn to use it properly.
The safety is goofy and takes a bit of getting used to.
Accuracy is outstanding ... We did a test at Yuma Proving Ground, a professional shooter put 5 shots into a 4" circle at 1,000m in a 5-15 mph variable crosswind. There were many witnesses, most of them from the military sniper community. It was pretty impressive. Gun was a stock LRS-2 .338.
There are a lot of bits and pieces that make snagging other pieces of kit, branches, etc. too easy. The gun would definitely benefit from a redesigned stock.
You can change barrels or calibers very easily. I believe the current configuration stock allows you to have either .223, .308, .300 or .308, .300, .338 depending on which variant you choose. The optic is attached directly to the barrel and, in my experience, provides adequate repeatability that I could never tell that the barrel had been off the gun, even after multiple iterations.
The muzzle brake is a farce on the .308, it's not needed and it just makes the gun bigger and louder. On the .338 it helps ... a number of folks I shot with agreed that the .338-with-brake felt almost identical to the .308-without-brake.
Because of the design, you can switch the gun from being right-handed to left-handed in, literally, five seconds. This assumes you pay the exorbitant price for a second bolt, of course.
A folding stock version was nearing the end of development as of the time I left SIG (Sep'07).
The monopod in the butt eliminated the need for sandbags or other fine tuning aids ... a little twist of the leg and the run would rise or fall until you were perfectly on target.
Magazine capacity wasn't particularly good compared to many competitors.
There was a recall about two years ago, some foreign soldier picked his off-safe rifle up from the trigger guard and discovered (to his extreme dissatisfaction) that you could trip the trigger without touching the shoe. So SIG got all the rifles back and added a little plate to the top of the trigger guard preventing that in the future.
The LRS-2 was disallowed in the FBI sniper rifle trials because it has an injection molded stock. Even though the rifle has survived many extremely grueling durability and stress tests, FBI rejected it because their spec said "no injection molded stocks."

All in all, I'd probably opt for a TRG-22 but the LRS-2 always performed well for me and the folks I sent it to on T&E.

GONIF
05-10-08, 13:08
+ 1 FOR THE TRG-22, and if you want to save some cash ($2000.00+) try a FNA1 SPR . the FN may not be as Kool looking or as exotic ,but it can hold it's own when the shooter does his job. :D

JSandi
05-10-08, 15:45
Another vote for the TRG

SiliconSorcerer
10-20-08, 22:38
So first I think compared to most on this site I'm a novice so take it for what it's worth....
I don't have a LRS2 I have the original version in 308 they just called the Blaser R93 Tactical. I've never actually found anyone else that had the original version I was told this was pulled from the pool which was originally sent for police trials or something. Canceled, not as many needed, or what I don't know but it's a low 2 digit serial no.
I'm really an antique guy most of my firearms are pre-1898 expect for some early 20th century 22's and a Remington 700 which is all I can compare it to.
So I have a nice leupold on this and I REALLY like this gun at 100 yards I'm ripping one hole and at 300 it's still hitting a quarter. But I've never had the opportunity to take it any further.