PDA

View Full Version : Army testing ACU camouflage patterns in Afghanistan

Ring
11-01-09, 22:36
Army testing ACU camouflage patterns in Afghanistan
Oct 30, 2009
By Courtesy of HQDA, G-4

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, Oct. 30, 2009) - Two new Army Combat Uniform camouflage patterns - MultiCam; and the Universal Camouflage Pattern (UCP-Delta) - are being tested by two battalions in Afghanistan.

The camouflage patterns are being tested to determine what might provide the best concealment to Soldiers operating in a unique mountain, desert and woodlands environment.

One battalion is receiving uniforms in MultiCam, a pattern worn by some Special Forces troops, while the other battalion is receiving uniforms in Universal Camouflage Pattern - Delta, a variant of the current ACU camouflage pattern that incorporates the coyote brown color and reduces the percentages of sand and gray colors. The battalions also will retain their standard ACUs.

"We already have extensive data on the performance of various camouflage patterns in particular environments, but we need to keep building the science for Operation Enduring Freedom," said Brig. Gen. Peter N. Fuller, who oversees Program Executive Office Soldier. "For example, we need more information on how the uniform camouflage blends with the Soldier's combat equipment in specific environments."

While the issue of camouflage patterns has recently been in the news, the Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center has studied and reported on the effectiveness of different camouflage patterns for many years.

A team has deployed to Afghanistan to collect data in the various environments, outside the forward operating bases. The team includes representatives from PEOffice Soldier, Army G-4, U.S. Army Infantry Center, U.S. Army Special Operations Command, the Asymmetric Warfare Group, U.S. Naval Research Laboratory and NSRDEC.

Feedback from the two battalions, as well as results of additional tests being conducted by NSRDEC on multiple camouflage patterns, are expected to be presented to Army leadership in early 2010.

Since the introduction of the Army Combat Uniform in 2004 the service has made more than 25 improvements to the ACU and its associated equipment based on what Soldiers have to say.

Improvements since 2004 include a reinforced seat, buttons on the cargo pockets, and better attachment of the infrared tab. This improvement process is ongoing, as Soldiers keep suggesting new ways to adapt the uniform to their needs.

MultiCam (in the foreground)
http://www.whatsshopping.com/techreviews/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/c95f5_multicam-afghanistan.jpg

versus this.

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/09-14-2009-ucp-delta-edit.jpg

jwfuhrman
11-02-09, 08:52
they are a bunch of freaking idiots for not just going with Multicam as a standard universal camo pattern. It will work ANYWHERE....... much better than any of its competitors. But trying to tell anyone in Gov't anything that makes sense is like trying to teach a brick wall to do tricks......

Belmont31R
11-02-09, 10:23
they are a bunch of freaking idiots for not just going with Multicam as a standard universal camo pattern. It will work ANYWHERE....... much better than any of its competitors. But trying to tell anyone in Gov't anything that makes sense is like trying to teach a brick wall to do tricks......

They had multicam there when they chose ACU.

ACU IME only works in very specific environments, and then stands out very bad in the majority. Unless you have light stone/greyish rocks in abundance its easily spotted.

Woods, tan/orange like desert, wetlands, jungle...it stands out badly.

I still believe in a two uniform system but MC is much better as a universal camo. Now they have this abortion UCP-D. Just use friggin MC and be done with it!

TUNNEL RAT 33
11-02-09, 10:59
that acu pattern looks like baby vomit ! multicam all the way

jwfuhrman
11-02-09, 11:23
if i remember right they went with ACU because it worked well when viewed thru night vision...... ummmmmmmm you only have night vision on very limited time. the rest of the time you look like a moron.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-02-09, 12:32
if i remember right they went with ACU because it worked well when viewed thru night vision...... ummmmmmmm you only have night vision on very limited time. the rest of the time you look like a moron.

It's not how long you have night vision on, it how long the BG has night vision on, and the night can be long ;)

With coatings at least you can make almost any color 'IR compliant'. I know putting dyes on fabrics is a more complex issue because of absorption/transmission/ and reflectance issues.

dyegator
11-02-09, 13:23
the rest of the time you look like a moron.

so true....

mattjmcd
11-02-09, 15:03
>The ACU looks a lot like Bundeswehr Flecktarn in my opinion.

Totally. Perfect for a the edge of a muddy treeline in central Europe. Not so much for SW Asia, I guess.

BiggLee71
11-02-09, 15:09
Totally. Perfect for a the edge of a muddy treeline in central Europe. Not so much for SW Asia, I guess.

The flectarn is what I immediately thought and then something along this quote came to my mind.I really dont see what the problem is with just going with MC.:confused:

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-02-09, 15:14
I wonder if the issue is that Multicam is privately owned by Crye? How much money would it cost the US gov to get the rights to it or get over the 'not invented here' mentality.

dgraing
11-02-09, 19:38
I wonder if the issue is that Multicam is privately owned by Crye? How much money would it cost the US gov to get the rights to it or get over the 'not invented here' mentality.

Less than screwing around trying out new patterns...

GackMan
11-02-09, 20:25
alpenflage... that's what I thought of when I saw that UPC-Delta test - the brown has an almost redish tint to it (or maybe I'm koo-koo).

I know it is ghey... but how about the 5.11 blatant rip-off digital multicam?

Then the army could have their space aged must have digital pattern and have the multicam color pallet to go with it.

http://www.vortigern.com.au/vortigern/img/511_TDUPants_Camo%5B1%5D.jpg

Ring
11-02-09, 22:57
multicam trees

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1061/973583803_ec29513182.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ukknnurYTlk/R7uQFlQ86AI/AAAAAAAAHsM/-HE_g_mnfB8/IMG_5011.JPG