PDA

View Full Version : Here's a question, Doc can you enlighten me?

DeltaKilo
11-01-09, 23:03
I've been wondering for a while why few manufacturers use a 200gr bullet over a 230, and why the existing 200s (Speer Gold Dot and Hornady XTP/TAP ammo are the only two I know of) perform worse than the equivalent 230gr bullets. I would've thought that the increase in velocity would've been a better thing?

DocGKR
11-02-09, 10:15
Perhaps those specific 200 gr loads are just poorly designed. On the other hand, perhaps the engineers have determined that the large diameter of the fully expanded .45 ACP projectiles require greater mass/sectional density in order to still have adequate penetration, as well as good intermediate barrier penetration.

Why would an increase in velocity necessarily be a good thing?

DeltaKilo
11-02-09, 10:44
Perhaps those specific 200 gr loads are just poorly designed. On the other hand, perhaps the engineers have determined that the large diameter of the fully expanded .45 ACP projectiles require greater mass/sectional density in order to still have adequate penetration, as well as good intermediate barrier penetration.

Why would an increase in velocity necessarily be a good thing?

Other than perhaps better penetration, I don't know that I know why it would be good or bad. Mostly I am just trying to understand since I'm no expert and it always made me wonder. :)