PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Problem...

WS6
11-02-09, 02:44
I suffered a grade 1 shoulder separation at the AC joint. Any thoughts on how this can be prevented in the future? My chiropractor has put things back in place, encouraged lifting light for about 8 weeks, and says it will be fine. No full-thickness tearing of ligaments occured, just minor tearing/stretching and displacement.

Lincoln7
11-02-09, 03:00
I had a bad shoulder (dislocations) while in high school and I bought a neoprene shoulder brace. It wrapped around the shoulder/bicep and around the chest/torso. Helped keep everything together while allowing decent movement. I don't remember what brand it was but will look for it when I go home next.

Lincoln7
11-02-09, 03:04
Found it! Company is EVS. http://www.danscomp.com/623017.php
I ordered it from this company too. I saw a couple while searching online that also had some extra velcro straps that may be worth the support. A brand called 661 had this. Good luck.

Firelotus
11-03-09, 10:57
I suffered a grade 1 shoulder separation at the AC joint. Any thoughts on how this can be prevented in the future? My chiropractor has put things back in place, encouraged lifting light for about 8 weeks, and says it will be fine. No full-thickness tearing of ligaments occured, just minor tearing/stretching and displacement.

Had a couple of those when lifting in college, just something to be mindful of in the future. Definitely take it easy for 8 weeks, but unless you had a MRI there is no way to know if anything was torn. If any pain or certain movements cause pain 4-8 weeks from now, go see a Doctor (M.D.) or a Physical Therapist for further investigation.

WS6
11-03-09, 19:00
Had a couple of those when lifting in college, just something to be mindful of in the future. Definitely take it easy for 8 weeks, but unless you had a MRI there is no way to know if anything was torn. If any pain or certain movements cause pain 4-8 weeks from now, go see a Doctor (M.D.) or a Physical Therapist for further investigation.

I currently only have pain when benching over 175 (so I don't...). I have full ROM free of pain, and my chiropractor sees me 2-3x a week to make sure everything is in-place, etc. Every time he adjusts it it takes more and more effort. The ligaments are tightening back up. He still says I am on track for an 8 week total recovery time.

I think it was the incline bench that got me instead of the shoulder-press, ironically. I am leery of both now though.