PDA

View Full Version : Magpul ACS vs. LMT SOPMOD Stock

jeffatus
11-02-09, 07:12
Is there a big difference between the Magpul ACS and LMT SOPMOD stocks? I can pick up a ACS Stock for $60 or so less on the used market, but I am wondering what the practical differences are.

As an aside, I am looking at those two because I sometimes have a beard and have heard those are the two that will not pull out the whiskers :)

Thanks for the help
jeff

Robb Jensen
11-02-09, 07:16
The ACS is a bit longer and actually better compares to the VLTOR EMOD.

rob_s
11-02-09, 07:38
I have a beard too and haven't ever found a stock that doesn't pull. I have used:
LMT SOPMOD
Vltor
Vltor Emod
Magpul M96
Magpul MOE
Magpul CTR
Magpul UBR
Colt M4

Even the trunnion gap on my AK pulled. I find that not only the gaps where battery tubes meet the stock body can pull but also where the body meets the receiver extension.

M4arc
11-02-09, 08:06
I recently went through the ACS/SOPMOD dilemma with my LMT 10.5 when I reconfigured it and ultimately settled on the SOPMOD. I originally purchased the ACS and while I liked certain aspects of it I found it was “too much” for what I needed. I liked how it was a little bit longer allowing me to run it in the closed or forward position. Being a little longer would allow me to deploy my carbine in a hurry without having to fiddle around with adjusting the buttstock. However, since my LMT would only ever be used as a home defense weapon this really isn’t an issue.

I didn’t like how complicated it was to install. I basically had to use a screw driver to pry the lock thingy down far enough to get it to slide onto the buffer tube. They come with dummy rounds and the instructions say to use them but I didn’t think they were strong enough and ended up buggering one up trying to use it for the installation.

The other thing I didn’t like was the two lever system. There’s one to adjust the buttstock and one to lock it in place. I found it overkill for my purpose.
And finally, I could not get the buttstock to lock in the forward position. Not a big deal but still…it bothered me.

I ended up selling it and replacing it with a SOPMOD and I really can’t find any faults with it other than the price compared to the ACS and VLTOR. The ACS is nice and has some cool features but for me and for this gun I chose the SOPMOD.

ra2bach
11-02-09, 09:07
so how does the ACS compare against the E-Mod?

d90king
11-02-09, 09:09
I think most of it simply come down to personal preference and what gives you the best cheek weld... I have found that the SOPMOD works best for me after trying many other alternatives. I started with the ones on my MRP's and have added one to my 6940 and 6920 because of how much I like them. YMMV.....

Biggy
11-02-09, 09:48
I tried the ACS and it was okay but i sent it back , i still like the Sopmod best and the price is not a factor for me.

Ak44
11-02-09, 09:56
ACS for the price, easily accessible battery compartments, and extra storage for candy or ear plugs. The sopmod has a little bit better cheek weld for me but its negligible. It also had a QD port but now since ACS has one too, I'm more for the ACS.

Tangotag
11-02-09, 10:06
I don't have a SOPMOD yet.
But the ACS when fully extended is longer than an A2 fixed buttstock by about 1 inch.

mvician
11-02-09, 12:08
Same rifle, ACS on top and the SOPMOD in the bottom pic.
Overall I still like the SOPMOD the best.

As for the EMod or the ACS, the EMod IMO.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/AR/ACS004.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/AR/PWA6520A3005.jpg

jeffatus
11-02-09, 12:35
Thanks for the replies. There is a local guy who has the ACS, unused, for $100. I am going to go that route. I would still prefer the SOPMOD, since I am a little over the top when it comes to military issue stuff, but not $100 more over the top. Besides that, with the money I will be saving on the stock will allow me to buy the last piece to my build, DD handguard rails. Oh, wait, I still need a flash hider.

Sucks about the beard thing always being a problem.

My build/frankenrifle, 6 months in the making, consists of the following:

- Stag Lower and parts kit
- Vltor Mur Upper
- Magpul Grip
- Noveske 16 inch barrel
- BCM F/A BCG
- a bunch of Magpul Mags
- Troy Folding front an rear sights

Still need Daniel Defense rails. Will probably go with 12 inch Lite
Still need flash hider
Still need a red dot sight, will probably go with an Eotech

Dang, I still need to come up with about $800 to finish my rifle :(

Then I will need to find a professional to assemble my build. I have no idea of who to go to in Ohio. About two months ago I purchased a Colt 6920, so this build has slowed down a bit.

SeriousStudent
11-02-09, 17:28

Then I will need to find a professional to assemble my build. I have no idea of who to go to in Ohio. About two months ago I purchased a Colt 6920, so this build has slowed down a bit.

I know a guy in Ohio that is decent. ;)

http://www.gandrtactical.com