PDA

View Full Version : BCM's Ion Bond BCGs

Blob
11-02-09, 17:27
What do they do and what are the advantages?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-ionbond-p/bcm%20bcg%20auto%20ib.htm

Belmont31R
11-02-09, 17:34
What do they do and what are the advantages?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-ionbond-p/bcm%20bcg%20auto%20ib.htm

Slicker than parkerizing and easier to clean.

Blob
11-02-09, 17:46
Is it really worth all the extra money?

eternal24k
11-02-09, 18:05
IMO, no, for that price I would get chrome, I have an ionbonded barrel, and it is not that much slicker than parked.
I would be more interested in an ionbonded upper, which is not saying much.

Belmont31R
11-02-09, 18:58

Well the 'slicker' the metal to metal contacts the better but you probably won't notice a difference for 95% of people.

Its certainly not going to hurt anything...

Here is my BCM ion bond BCG after approx 400-500 rds:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/DSC_0066.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/DSC_0069.jpg

G34Shooter
11-03-09, 10:59
Ionbond is also porous so it absorbs oil and slowly releases it when it needs too, and if it has the full DLC treatment than it may have the Hard Chrome base coating as well.

eternal24k
11-03-09, 11:05
Ionbond is also porous so it absorbs oil and slowly releases it when it needs too, and if it has the full DLC treatment than it may have the Hard Chrome base coating as well.

more porous than parkerizing?

I would be more interested in reasonably priced ion-bonded bolts than whole bcgs.

G34Shooter
11-03-09, 11:12
more porous than parkerizing?

I would be more interested in reasonably priced ion-bonded bolts than whole bcgs.

I think so, comparing my parkerized N4 barrel which would dry out in a week sitting in my safe to my old Ionbonded 1911 that would stay wet for weeks there is no comparison.

ST911
11-03-09, 11:12
Slicker than parkerizing and easier to clean.

It's hard to clean now?

eternal24k
11-03-09, 11:24
I think so, comparing my parkerized N4 barrel which would dry out in a week sitting in my safe to my old Ionbonded 1911 that would stay wet for weeks there is no comparison.

I hypothesize that the parked is more porous, and absorbing the oil. Hard to say, I dont use any oil that drys up, but maybe you do, hard to say with so little info.

eternal24k
11-03-09, 11:26
It's hard to clean now?

My hard chrome bcgs are much easier to clean than parked, and my motorcycle is faster than my car.
But i am not saying that the parked are hard to clean, nor am i saying my car is slow...

So I am not sure what you are getting at

G34Shooter
11-03-09, 11:30
I hypothesize that the parked is more porous, and absorbing the oil. Hard to say, I dont use any oil that drys up, but maybe you do, hard to say with so little info.

Weapon Shield CLP?

My old Ionbonded TRS was the slickest handgun I've ever felt, I sure miss it sometimes lol.

edit: and nothing stuck to the Ionbond so it was easy to wipe down as opposed to scrubbing.

G34Shooter
11-03-09, 11:48
One more tidbit... Ionbonding is just a process and not all are equal.

Belmont31R
11-03-09, 15:43
It's hard to clean now?

No...its just easier with ionbond.

I think the point is...is that the surface is slicker, and since the BCG is the only moving part during firing aside from the buffer it makes sense to have it be as "slick as possible". I also believe ionbond surface is harder, and there was very little wear to the BCG after firing.

The question of ionbond is is worth the extra money? I would not buy them for every gun I own but for a main gun its something Id like to have. Its not going to decrease the chance of a bolt failure or anything but it does have its merits.

Mark71
11-11-09, 23:11
For those of you guys interested BCM has the Ionbond BCG's back in stock....

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM+BCG+AUTO+IB

ThirdWatcher
11-11-09, 23:40
Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered one for my BCM4.:)

bones
11-12-09, 11:25
BCM,s Ion Bond BCGs - Yes their worth the money

Mjolnir
11-12-09, 11:26
Ionbond is a company. There product (the one we're discussing) is Amorphous Plasma Assisted Tungsten Diamond Like Carbon or W DLC. I know because I've worked closely with them and the National Sales Director is a close friend of mine. Underneath the WDLC is 3 microns of electroless Nickel.

If any is interested I have tons of info (much of it correct) at www.pistolsmith.com under Finishes from some time ago.

It's great to have on a 1911. G34shooter, you should have called me. I would have gladly relieved you of your TRS. Dammit, I wish you still had it (and wanted to get rid of it). Oh well.... :(

G34Shooter
11-12-09, 15:24
Ionbond is a company. There product (the one we're discussing) is Amorphous Plasma Assisted Tungsten Diamond Like Carbon or W DLC. I know because I've worked closely with them and the National Sales Director is a close friend of mine. Underneath the WDLC is 3 microns of electroless Nickel.

If any is interested I have tons of info (much of it correct) at www.pistolsmith.com under Finishes from some time ago.

It's great to have on a 1911. G34shooter, you should have called me. I would have gladly relieved you of your TRS. Dammit, I wish you still had it (and wanted to get rid of it). Oh well.... :(

It actually sold pretty fast and I got what I asked for it lol

I do miss it as it was a highly shootable work of art :o

RogerinTPA
11-21-09, 12:25
I saw that on BCM's website the other day and was a fairly interesting read. I may have to get one just for shits and giggles.

rychencop
11-21-09, 13:00

Nope!

tirod
11-23-09, 11:08
Is it worth the money? The user decides. DLC's on engine parts are getting very interesting - lifters, rocker arms, etc are being developed with DLC as the finish. The designs eliminate rollers on tappets and rocker arms and have direct surface contact with the driving parts, just like the old days using zinc fortified oils. Because the surface treatment is hard and almost as slick as Teflon, friction is reduced dramatically. The finish has such good adherence to the substrate it has to be machined off.

Nissan and Hyundai are using DLC flat tappets this year, eliminating the previously used roller lifters. Nascar is experimenting with rocker arms with no rollers either on the valve contact or in the shaft mount. They are much lighter and will rev higher.

Durability of DLC coated parts like lifters is approaching the point where engine builders may just throw used lifters back in the block regardess of what cam lobe they were previously use on. Composite lifters are already done that way - a major break from accepted orthodoxy in engine building. Any other lifter would immediately fail.

Reducing friction in the operation of the BCG means one less factor in stoppages. If it takes twice as much contanimation to slow the bolt, and saves your life, is it worth it?

Just couldn't resist that last line.

Considering the $150 premium some pay extra for a special stock or railed handguard compared to milspec, I'd rather put the money toward internal improvements. But I'm not a show and tell kind of builder.

The aluminum extrusion industry uses it on the dies, and hard drives in the computer you are on right now has DLC on the platter to reduce head crashing. DOD has tested it and the reports are positive.

I would hazard a guess that hammer forged barrels (Colt recently bought machines to do that) and DLC could easily be milspec at some time in the future. From a tech perspective, it's a no brainer.

SWATcop556
11-23-09, 14:38
What people need to realize is that most shooters out there will not shoot enough to realize the true benefits of an Ionbonded BCG, except the "it's easier to clean" benefit.

Those that do shoot it to it's full potential see the merit of the extra $$$.

I wouldn't mind trying one in my main go-to gun but I won't be changing out all of my other BCGs fir a new one. The BCM BCGs in the others are more than up to the task.

glocktogo
11-23-09, 17:22
What people need to realize is that most shooters out there will not shoot enough to realize the true benefits of an Ionbonded BCG, except the "it's easier to clean" benefit.

Those that do shoot it to it's full potential see the merit of the extra $$$.

I wouldn't mind trying one in my main go-to gun but I won't be changing out all of my other BCGs fir a new one. The BCM BCGs in the others are more than up to the task.

This.

I'm definitely getting one for my RR Colt and will use the BCG Noveske shipped with my Swithcblock upper on an SPR build that will get a lot fewer rounds through it.

Phazuka
11-23-09, 17:27
I think I'll go chrome for my Recee.

tirod
11-24-09, 10:43
Basically the Ionbond process is $60 extra thru Bravo. Being an automotive guy, I find improvements in operating efficiency generally have long term benefits the average owner will never see. I keep my vehicles for at least 15 years.

I don't bling them in the latest styles, but try to improve what breaks as it ages. This constitutes the kind of upgrade one you like to check off the option list up front. If you could specify a alternator, starter, and water pump with 250k mile bearings and seals for $60 more, would you do it?

I see far too many who would rather spend $150 extra for a stock, another $200 for a 4 rail tube, etc and trick out their stick. I see the same on the road, 20" bling rims, extra plastic ports stuck to the fender, billet lights, etc.

The ride and performance are actually worse, but the 'hood is impressed.

I'm trying to build to a personal TDP that is biased on reliability and performance. Ionbond is precisely the kind of real world improvement that delivers. It's also comparatively cheap.

What it doesn't deliver is "oh, cool!" at the range, which is not my focus at all. The target is the only real indicator there.

Why would you not want a serious improvement for the bolt of a DI gun?

Mjolnir
11-24-09, 18:33
Basically the Ionbond process is $60 extra thru Bravo. Being an automotive guy, I find improvements in operating efficiency generally have long term benefits the average owner will never see. I keep my vehicles for at least 15 years.

I don't bling them in the latest styles, but try to improve what breaks as it ages. This constitutes the kind of upgrade one you like to check off the option list up front. If you could specify a alternator, starter, and water pump with 250k mile bearings and seals for $60 more, would you do it?

I see far too many who would rather spend $150 extra for a stock, another $200 for a 4 rail tube, etc and trick out their stick. I see the same on the road, 20" bling rims, extra plastic ports stuck to the fender, billet lights, etc.

The ride and performance are actually worse, but the 'hood is impressed.

I'm trying to build to a personal TDP that is biased on reliability and performance. Ionbond is precisely the kind of real world improvement that delivers. It's also comparatively cheap.

What it doesn't deliver is "oh, cool!" at the range, which is not my focus at all. The target is the only real indicator there.

Why would you not want a serious improvement for the bolt of a DI gun?
Didn't know God made more like me. :cool:

Safetyhit
11-24-09, 21:43
Didn't know God made more like me. :cool:

He does sound like you professionally, doesn't he?

Now as long as he doesn't start advocating baseless Russian gripes...

:D