PDA

View Full Version : New Kaiser Universal sight tool

maximus83
11-03-09, 10:50
I'm wondering if anyone has actually bought or tried this tool yet. Searched the forum here for Kaiser and Uni tool and didn't find any hits. Watched the video for this tool last night. If you go to the following page at GlockStore.com, there is a link up above the picture of the tool to watch a video demonstration:

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/388_Competition+IDPA++IPSC++USPSA/4063_UNI-2OOL/

http://glockstore.com/images/magick_cache/pgroup_4063_462_400x600__shadow.jpg

This tool looks slick. It works similarly to the Ameriglo/MGW sight pusher tools that you can buy today for Sig, Glock, H&K, M&P, XD, etc., but in this case, the tool supposedly works on all these platforms, with most common sight types.

I am interested in buying, because I have about 6 different pistols that I am interested in updating the sites on, and by the time I send all those in or pay people to do them, I would have many times over the $150 cost of this tool. Seems like this could be a good investment making it easy to change or adjust sights whenever you want, without marring slides or crushing the sights.

JohnN
11-03-09, 14:09
I would be interested to know if this pusher works with Warren,10-8 and Heinie sights. Many of the sight pushers on the market work well for conventional sights but not so much with the sights mentioned.

RAM Engineer
11-03-09, 14:49
If it works with Warrens, 10-8s, Heinie AND the slant sided Trijicons, I'd be all over that.

DrMark
11-03-09, 14:54
Looks interesting.

From the link:

The NEW Uni-2OOL is the industry's first fully adjustable sight tool that will accommodate almost all modern handguns. It's designed to work on both front and rear dovetail sights. One ingenious tool will work on Glock, Sig, Beretta, all 1911's, Kimber, Taurus, Springfield XD and XDM, S&W automatics, HK and more. Because it is adjustable it will work with all types of guns and all types of sights.

Made of heavy, high quality steel with steel inserts. Will last a lifetime. Makes changing dovetail sights easy and affordable. Comes with instructional DVD.

glockaction
11-06-09, 00:50
Yes it will work on the 10 8's it can ajust to proper hight.

nickdrak
11-07-09, 05:03
Anyone know if this tool will work on the Glock/Heinie "Ledge" sight combo???

Robb Jensen
11-07-09, 09:38
I'll stick with MGW sight tools. The only one I've broken (hey I can break an anvil) is the one for the Springfield Armory XD.

Dave Berryhill
11-07-09, 09:46
It looks like an updated version of a sight pusher that Brownells used to sell (I've got one but don't remember the manufacturer's name).

One of the flaws of the earlier model was the adjustable pads that tighten down and hold the sides of the slide. That model had screws with large plastic pads that were supposed to hold the slide in position. It also had block of plastic underneath the slide that you adjusted with screws to set the height of the slide. It didn't hold the slide very securely and the slide would sometimes twist.

The UNI-200L model shown in your photo looks like it may be a little more secure since it has large square blocks that squeeze and hold the slide in position.

Another problem with the earlier model was that it was hard to adjust the tool to put downward pressure on the top of Glock factory rear sights without scraping the top of the slide. The Glock factory sight pusher has an adjustment screw for this. You will need to adjust the height of the slide in the UNI-200 to do this and it's hard to say how well that works since they don't show it in the video. For pistols other than Glocks (or for installing steel aftermarket sights into a Glock slide), this isn't an issue.

You didn't say what you intended to use it for. Most "universal" sight pushers are mediocre at best when compared to a sight pusher that is designed for a specific pistol. The factory Sig and the original factory Glock sight pushers hold the slide very securely (I haven't used on of the newer style Glock tools) and are sturdy tools.

For occasional use, it might be OK as long as you don't run into a rear sight that is really tight. If I had to change a large number of sights using the UNI-200, I'd probably run out of patience quickly and take a BFH to it.

Why don't you give it a try and post a review? ;)

nickdrak
11-07-09, 13:32
Which MGW tool works for installing Heinie's (Ledge variant) on Glocks?

glockaction
11-07-09, 20:00
The UNI-200l jaws are coded with a bed liner so it will be tough and not slide, are mover is made from hard tool steel, and are side clamp has two dowel pins so it will close straight and not rock. It will last a life time.

DrMark
11-07-09, 20:25
The UNI-200l jaws are coded with a bed liner so it will be tough and not slide, are mover is made from hard tool steel, and are side clamp has two dowel pins so it will close straight and not rock. It will last a life time.

Are you the manufacturer, or perhaps a seller?

maximus83
11-07-09, 20:56
Went ahead and ordered one of the tools. I have about 9 or 10 guns that I need to either upgrade, replace, or adjust sights on, so by the time I either struggled through all this with my mediocre home-gunsmithing setup, or paid somebody else to do it, this tool will have easily paid for itself 3 or 4 times over (assuming that it works).

I'll do a write-up after I try it.

glockaction
11-07-09, 21:05
Yes we are the manufacturer and we stand behind are product 100%, feel free to call us any time with any questions.

DrMark
11-07-09, 22:11
Yes we are the manufacturer and we stand behind are product 100%, feel free to call us any time with any questions.

Thanks.

Singlestack Wonder
11-08-09, 14:07
I'd be interested in a video showing the tool removing a factory installed Kimber rear sight. The tool's frame doesn't appear to be hearty enough to press one of those out. It's tough even using the Kimber (Meprolight) tool which is the heavy duty king of all sight pushers.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii183/Singlestack_Wonder/p_387100000_1.jpg

maximus83
11-15-09, 02:58
I sure cannot recommend the tool for use on Kahr pistols, and I wonder how it will do on front sights generally. Tonight I tried it out, it worked fine on my Kahr PM9's rear sight. I used it to push out the old sight, and mount a new Trijicon 2-dot rear sight.

But the front sight? Total fail! The tool couldn't push it out, in fact, the steel on the tool appears to be softer than Kahr's steel front sights! It chewed up the steel tips on the pusher area of the tool (and yes, I had it PERFECTLY aligned).

[UPDATED]
After thinking about this some more, this may work well on some pistols, in fact it worked great on the rear sight of the Kahr. I suspect it would have more trouble with any pistol where the slide sides are tapered or not perpendicular (because they won't fit snugly in the jaws, which then causes slide to torque/twist when you turn the pusher). It will also have trouble with sights where they are very small or slim (like the Kahr front sight) and there is not much of a contact surface.

So, this may be a good general tool that will work with many pistol types, but I guess at this point it remains unproven. I will probably try it on a couple of more pistols and see what happens before I totally give up. But because the pusher steel was apparently softer than the steel on my Kahr's front sights, I am going to need a new pusher part. Guess I'll get to test out the company's service!!

Top Gun Supply
11-15-09, 18:41
There are some sights that so tight that most sight pushers will not budge them. Kahr and XD can be seemingly impossible to remove.

maximus83
11-15-09, 19:14
You are right. That's why I updated my previous post: decided I shouldn't have my entire feedback based on just how it worked with the Kahr front sight. As I read around more on the web last night, I learned that Kahr pistols fit their sights notoriously tight, and that most people end up sending back to the factory to get them replaced. Actually, the Uni Tool did quite well getting the Kahr's rear sight out. I had to REALLY torque on it MUCH harder than the demo video showed (but they were using a Sig, I believe), but at least the rear finally came out, and the new one went in, with no damage. Given how tight Kahr sights are, I think the tool did pretty well on the rear, which leads me to think it MAY do well with other brands of pistols I own that have a more standard sight setup than Kahr (M&P, 1911, in my case).

I'm going to contact the company, and hopefully they'll work with me to replace the pusher piece that the Kahr's front sight chewed up. I think it's very possible that this tool will work well on other models of pistols that don't have their sights fit so tightly (I'm basing that on how well the tool worked with the rear sights on the Kahr).

Nraman
12-10-09, 12:45
But the front sight? Total fail! The tool couldn't push it out, in fact, the steel on the tool appears to be softer than Kahr's steel front sights! It chewed up the steel tips on the pusher area of the tool (and yes, I had it PERFECTLY aligned).

I know that the DVD tells you to push at the dovetail part of the sight, down to the slide, the problem is that there is nothing to push against on a Kahr front sight. When I did my PM9 I put the pusher at the very bottom of the post and it worked. I took a chance doing it the wrong way, I got lucky.

maximus83
12-29-09, 15:11
Well I'm able to report that the sight tool was fixed and returned, and I'm cautiously optimistic about it. Received great service from the company, they simply replaced the unit altogether, and I noticed that now at least on some sites (see their ad at TopGunSupply (http://www.topgunsupply.com/kaiser-uni200L-unitool-sight-adjusting-installation-tool.html)) they have updated the blurb to indicate the tool should not be used on Kahr sights.

Today I tried out the new tool, installed a set of David Bowie's Ameriglo "Operator" sights in my M&P 9c. It worked great, completed the installation without any problems. The only challenge I faced was my own learning curve: it can be a bit tricky trying to get the slide perfectly aligned and gripped within the pusher tool, so that it is level/square in all directions, and firmly held by the tool. Otherwise, when you begin to push, the slide will torque and twist within the tool, risking that the pusher will contact the slide itself or put stress on the sights if it doesn't have a good flat contact surface to push.

I am going to try the pusher on some other pistols as well: my M&P 45, a couple of 1911's, and a few others. I'll report back when I have more details.

loupav
12-30-09, 09:44
I use this.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=163458

I'm very happy with the tool and have changed out the sights on USP45's, HK45's, P226 and a CZ75.

operator81
01-02-10, 14:59
I plan on ordering one as soon as funds allow. Buying one tool each for Glocks, Sigs, 1911, etc gets a little spendy. Are they available directly through you and do you have LE pricing?

BillSWPA
01-02-10, 15:55
I use this.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=163458

I'm very happy with the tool and have changed out the sights on USP45's, HK45's, P226 and a CZ75.

+1 I own the same tool, and have used it to install MMC and Trijicon sights on my Glocks, as well as Novak sights on my Kimber 1911 and North American Arms .380. It is simple, inexpensive, and works.

Buckaroo
01-02-10, 16:15
Anyone know if this will work on a Kahr? They have a reputation for very tight sights!

Buckaroo

Erik 1
04-14-10, 14:18
I am looking to purchase a sight tool for use on my M&Ps and am considering this or the MGW M&P specific tool. Any update on how this tool is working out?

Thanks

C45P312
04-14-10, 15:33

Might need to update your sig then to let others know who you are and how you are affiliated.

Erik 1
04-15-10, 07:36
Has anybody tried this tool recently? Thanks.

LockenLoad
04-15-10, 09:18
Anyone know if this will work on a Kahr? They have a reputation for very tight sights!

Buckaroo

that seems to be a problem read page one

LorenzoS
04-15-10, 09:25
Has anyone successfully changed both the front and rear sights on an M&P? I hear the front can be unusually tight on these guns.

maximus83
04-15-10, 11:25
Since this thread was revived and there is still some interest in this tool, here's a summary of my experiences with it, and an updated review:

* Initially got the tool, tried it on a Kahr. Failed on the front sight, as indicated above. It also damaged the tool, and they replaced it.

* Tried the tool on an M&P9c as posted above. Worked pretty well, though it had a heck of a time getting the front sight pushed in.

* Tried the tool on an M&P9 Pro, again had a heck of a time pushing in the front sight. This time it significantly mashed in the steel on the front sight where it contacted the pusher. Plus it again slightly chewed up the steel on the pusher, and again, ground off some of the protective material where the tool grips the slide. At least it didn't mar my slide, though!

I contacted the owner again by email, and he promised two things:
1. They would refund my money.
2. They would replace the mashed front Ameriglo sight.

After a month went by and several reminder emails were sent, I received the refund. However, I never got the front sight. Normally I wouldn't have expected that, but since they made a point of promising it, and since it did seem like it was an issue with the tool, I thought it would be great to get the sight replaced. I contacted them several times about it, but no response. Finally the owner replied and said he had contacted Ameriglo, so I waited a couple more weeks, and when I heard nothing, I emailed the person at Ameriglo. The guy at Ameriglo said he had received no contact about this. I pinged the owner of the UniTool place politely a few more times (we never had harsh words at any point), until nearly 4 months have gone by, and now he doesn't respond to emails.

This is what I experienced. To summarize the issues:

1. The tool does not seem very "universal." It may work well with some types, like Glocks, but apparently does not with others.

2. It is VERY difficult to get a slide with a different shape or curved sides, like an M&P slide, properly aligned in the tool. You spend a lot of time trying to align it, and it can end up damaging the sights.

3. I see issues with the materials. As noted, when you get a very tough sight to push, it is very easy for it to chew through the protective material where it grips your slide, and the steel on the pusher surface can still get chewed up, as mine did after using it on only 2 sight sets.

4. Service issues. They did supply the refund, but since they promised to replace the damaged sight, then led me on for months and finally dropped it altogether and won't respond to emails, I found that frustrating.

Bottom line: the tool may work for you if you have a lot of the type of pistols that it has been noted to work well on: Glocks, 1911's, possibly Sigs. For myself, due to the pistol types I own and due to what I experienced , I would not buy another one unless they were significantly improved and demonstrated to work better with the pistol types I own.

Sounds like some other folks here have had good results with a different brand of sight tool, the B&J Machine 500 which is linked to above in this thread. I can't speak to that one, but really I think the idea of a truly "universal" sight tool, in this price range of around $150, is doubtful. I kinda' think I may be better off in the future to either get a purpose-built pusher, like the Ameriglo pusher for the M&P, or like Dave Berryhill says, just use the traditional approach of taking a BFH and a sight punch to it.

Erik 1
04-15-10, 13:36
Thanks very much for the update. It's very helpful.

Erik

mfrey
04-16-10, 08:03
My experiences with this tool are nearly identical to maximus 83.

I used it to install some sights on an HK45C and found it less than ideal for very similar reasons. I ended up returning it to Brownells for a refund.

No matter what I did, including fabricating custom acetal shims to account for the slide's angles, the slide would twist in the tool, ultimately gouging the sight and deforming the pusher arms of the tool. The grippy surface applied to the holding fixtures is soft and malleable and will deform/tear with use. Although it does offer the slide some protection from damage until it wears sufficiently to be of no value in this regard, it is inadequate to prevent contoured or angled slides from twisting under tension. Even in the demo video, when the representative is pushing sights on a Sig (IIRC), the slide is twisting like crazy.

Despite these criticisms, I think that it would work well on any slide with parallel sides. I would use it with a Glock, for instance, without reservation if I could not get my hands on a dedicated pusher.

In short, I don't think that this tool is as universal as as its marketing implies.