PDA

View Full Version : Blue Sky + Day Off = First Range Time in Four Months

Jay Cunningham
03-02-07, 15:18
The miserable weather finally broke in Western Pennsylvania and the temperature got up to around 50 degrees today. Range trip!

I haven't shot in a long time, so I wanted to try to build a little "muscle memory" back in. It was incredibly windy so I figured I'd keep it close in, about 10m or so. I wanted to start with the mechanics of my drawstroke, nice and smooth. I guess the dry-fire that I did during the winter months paid off because my front sight focus and trigger control weren't too bad. My speed wasn't there, but I was focusing on technique and accuracy.

I chose to use a 15" X 15" bullseye stapled over the upper thoracic of a USPSA/IPSC cardboard target, since I'd read AAR's of Vickers classes that train this way.

http://www.letargets.com/html/general_targets/fbi-ip1.jpg

My goal was to be smooth and accurate and to keep all of my shots in that black bullseye. I also wanted to practice some tactile stuff, just getting used to shooting with heavier gloves can be interesting. First I went through tactical reloads on my pistol, then speed reloads. I began to pick up the pace and performed some single head shots and failure drills.

I was feeling good with my progress so I decided to bring the carbine into play so I could practice some transitions. All in all, not bad. I'm sure I will get some chuckles from the Virginia crew since I still shoot Weaver... :p One noteworthy item concerning my AK - the bright light and covered range line combined to wash out my IronDot! I'd shot in what I'd thought were these same conditions before, but even with the auto-override to the highest brightness I could barely see the dot. Oh well, off came the optic. Thank goodness for LaRue throw levers.

Here is a pic of my target with the bullseye removed. 175 rounds 9mm and 24 rounds 5.56mm, head shots taped.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1276/rangetime020207zf9.jpg

TOrrock
03-02-07, 21:31
Getting ready for the class huh?

Are you bringing your AK-105? :D

Jay Cunningham
03-03-07, 13:58
Indeed I am "getting ready" - lots and lots of rust that needs knocked off with a pickaxe.

Unfortunately I wont be bringing the 105. I realized too late that one needs permission from the feds to transport an NFA item across state lines.

Next time, I promise!

M4arc
03-03-07, 15:14
I need a SLR-106...

Bulldog1967
03-03-07, 21:41
I need a SLR-106...

Well, YEAH!:D