PDA

View Full Version : trigger advice needed

das028
11-04-09, 12:06
i want to change my stock trigger out of my stag to something more suited for target shooting. I've been eyeing RRA's and LMT's two stage triggers. I dont want something that is to light, something a SDM would use, if you will. Can any of you guys tell me a thing or two about these triggers? Pros and cons? Also do you have any other recomendations? My budget is approx $150.

VikingNate
11-04-09, 12:12
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=12170

I found that thread to be very informative.

Frens
11-04-09, 12:23
the RRA is nice.
it's not a combat trigger but will serve you well for "recreational" use.
I have one and I'm happy with it.

the Armalite Tactical 2-stage trigger seems interesting too but I've no experience with it.

longrange18
11-04-09, 14:58
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=12170

I found that thread to be very informative.

The above thread is great for aftermarket triggers.

Not trying to take away from aftermarket triggers.....

You could also consider this; Bill Springfield Trigger Work (http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15s.html). He will work the factory trigger down to ~3lb. for $50. Never read anything bad about his trigger work.

I think rob_s has a 4lb. trigger in one of his guns so you could ask him about the trigger function.

C4IGrant
11-04-09, 16:19
i want to change my stock trigger out of my stag to something more suited for target shooting. I've been eyeing RRA's and LMT's two stage triggers. I dont want something that is to light, something a SDM would use, if you will. Can any of you guys tell me a thing or two about these triggers? Pros and cons? Also do you have any other recomendations? My budget is approx $150.

The Geissele SSA is the best 2 stage on the market.

C4

Belmont31R
11-04-09, 16:58
SSA and dont look back....

das028
11-05-09, 22:57
arent they kind of on the expensive side, as far as triggers go?

RPD03
11-06-09, 00:33
SSA is definately the way to go.

SWATcop556
11-06-09, 04:49
I'm sending my SPR trigger to Bill for his magic. I don't have one of my own yet but I've had some trigger time on one and I was impressed. I don't have the $$$$ to throw down on a SSA so this is a good second choice.

All of my serious social rifles have stock single stage triggers.

longrange18
11-06-09, 05:25

Depends on which version you purchase. The Super Semi-Auto(aka SSA) runs $170 and is more of a service rifle type trigger. The national match triggers run $279 and and lean toward competition shooting. You said you wanted a trigger more suited for "target shooting." Does that mean you have a "target rifle" or you just want a better trigger for your standard AR?

C4IGrant
11-06-09, 08:04

The SSA is a pretty good value for what you get I think.

C4

das028
11-06-09, 11:33
my rifle isnt a target rifle i just want a better trigger for my rifle. When i say better, i better for target shooting, as thats what I mainly use it for. I didnt realize Giselle(sp?) made a trigger that was more in my price range. I've always heard good things about giselle but never was willing to shell out the coin. What are the trigger pull weight on these?Are they more available than there other trigger? They always seem like they are sold out!

longrange18
11-06-09, 12:29
my rifle isnt a target rifle i just want a better trigger for my rifle. When i say better, i better for target shooting, as thats what I mainly use it for. I didnt realize Giselle(sp?) made a trigger that was more in my price range. I've always heard good things about giselle but never was willing to shell out the coin. What are the trigger pull weight on these?Are they more available than there other trigger? They always seem like they are sold out!

Rainier Arms (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1234) has the SSA in stock as does Grant at G&R Tactical. (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SSA&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dtrigger%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html) As far as trigger pull I think they are between 4-5lb? A more experienced member would have to correct me on that. You could PM RetreatHell; I think he has a SSA in a mid-length build of his.

SV650Squid
11-06-09, 13:16
SSA!!! Best trigger I've ever used.

TWR
11-06-09, 13:32
Is the SSA available in large pin for Colt?

Bimmer
11-06-09, 22:49
You could also consider this; Bill Springfield Trigger Work (http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15s.html). He will work the factory trigger down to ~3lb. for $50. Never read anything bad about his trigger work.

+1

If your budget is $150, then you'll have $100 left over for match ammo...

Bimmer

RPrats
11-07-09, 11:16
I've seen the Colt .170 size SSA triggers available at some of the dealers.

HD1911
11-07-09, 11:27
Geissele SSA hands down

bluedog
11-07-09, 12:20
I've seen the Colt .170 size SSA triggers available at some of the dealers.

I checked and found it listed, but out of stock at ADCO--hope its out.

das028
11-07-09, 17:32
+1

If your budget is $150, then you'll have $100 left over for match ammo...

Bimmer

yep this is the route I am going to take. Except the extra money is going towards a free float rail system, perferably the DD Omega.

K9-Bob
11-07-09, 21:00
The Geissele SSA is my choice for a 2-staged trigger. I own two of them and have no regrets.

Remember that when you buy quality... you only cry once.;)

ThirdWatcher
11-07-09, 23:23
The Geissele SSA is my choice for a 2-staged trigger. I own two of them and have no regrets.

Remember that when you buy quality... you only cry once.;)

and only a rich man can afford to buy it twice.:D

1022rimfire
11-07-09, 23:35
I recently tried an SSA and was very impressed. I was skeptical (given the price) but am now totally convinced it helped my groups when shooting off a bench. Much better than a stock trigger! The two-stage trigger was fine, too, having only how single-stage triggers on AR's previously. It think it is well worth the price!

USGILT
11-08-09, 17:21
+1 for the "Bill Springfield trigger job" best $35 bucks I ever spent!