PDA

View Full Version : Home Defense load for my benelli shotgun?

iceman0085
11-04-09, 13:50
I have finalley bought my benelli and I like to gun very much. I have allready used it at the range with an trap load and it's an great gun. Now I am looking for an decent defense load for my new shotgun. I have allready done some investigations and here in austria I can get everythin from winchester, remington and federal. The loads of some european companies (selier&bellot, nobel sports, fioochi) are also available. The noble sports 12 gauge 00 buckshot shells would be the cheapest. My second choice would be the sellier&bellot 12 gauge buckshot load with 12 pellets. ( http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=979634). Has somebody experience with that load or with the buckshot loads from nobel sports? Or would you recomend somethin else?

I would be pleased hearing some tipps

Greetings from austria.:)

WS6
11-05-09, 22:30
Buy half a dozen buckshot loads and a few chokes and hit the patterning board. The answer will present itself along with the evidence to support it.

Glock17JHP
11-06-09, 14:47
Try several of the 'Low Recoil' 00 Buckshot loads, like the Winchester Ranger RA1200 or Federal's 'Flight Control'... then do just what 'WS6' suggests, and pattern them...

WS6
11-06-09, 16:27
Try several of the 'Low Recoil' 00 Buckshot loads, like the Winchester Ranger RA1200 or Federal's 'Flight Control'... then do just what 'WS6' suggests, and pattern them...

I would steer away from the low-recoil loads in a semi-auto. Even if they do function when the gun is held tight against the shoulder, they may not function in a less than ideal situation.

iceman0085
11-06-09, 17:42
Thx for your answers. I will do that. I have allready ordered several buckshot loads, and I can pick them up next week at my local gunstore, then I will start the tests. I have ordered, loads, from sellier&bellot, winchester and remington. Here in austria the winchester shotshells have a very good reputation among shooters. I have also seen some #4 buckshot shells from remington at my local gun store. What do you think about that shot size?

MarkG
11-06-09, 17:54
Got 20 minutes to waste? Check this video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ievbU3xIYGQ

WS6
11-06-09, 20:07
Thx for your answers. I will do that. I have allready ordered several buckshot loads, and I can pick them up next week at my local gunstore, then I will start the tests. I have ordered, loads, from sellier&bellot, winchester and remington. Here in austria the winchester shotshells have a very good reputation among shooters. I have also seen some #4 buckshot shells from remington at my local gun store. What do you think about that shot size?

Awesome! #4 is considered marginal.

Glad to see that you are going to pattern your shotgun, figure out how it performs with what ammo, and be an informed shooter instead of someone who just buys something, throws it togather, and calls it good.

Glock17JHP
11-07-09, 09:47
WS6,

I understand your concern, but I do think that the specific LE loads I listed would be OK in the Benelli... since those loads are used a lot in Benelli's in LE...

There are Winchester AA loads, however, that I would NOT recommend in the Benelli, and they even have semi-auto reliability warnings on the boxes. But those are trap/skeet loads...

iceman0085
11-07-09, 09:55
MK18Pilot Thx for the informativ link.

@Glock17 Thx for the tipp concering the law recoil loads. It would be possible to order the Winchester Ranger RA1200, the federal tactical loads are not avialable.

WS6
11-07-09, 10:45
WS6,

I understand your concern, but I do think that the specific LE loads I listed would be OK in the Benelli... since those loads are used a lot in Benelli's in LE...

There are Winchester AA loads, however, that I would NOT recommend in the Benelli, and they even have semi-auto reliability warnings on the boxes. But those are trap/skeet loads...

I dunno. Some people have said Ranger reduced recoil will work, some have said it won't. Only way to know is for him to try it.

SnakeLogan
11-07-09, 11:28
I like the 3 extra pellets that come in a 2.75 inch 00 buck "magnum" load (12 pellets) especially because it doesn't affect how many shells you can load into the tube. I'd recommend the Federal and Remington.

iceman0085
11-07-09, 17:26
@Ws6 that's right the only way to find out if the reduced recoil loads work in my benelli m4 ist to test them.

@SnakeLogan Thx for the tipps I will put the 12 pellet loads from federal and remington on my list. It would be even possible to get an 16 pellet load from remington, but I think an 16 pellet buckshot load would be overkill for sd.

Im talkling about this load.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=285371

DBR
11-07-09, 17:49
Both of my Benellis (M3 and Super Black Eagle) took several hundred shells and good gun oil (FP10, now Weaponshield) before they were happy running LE Low Recoil Federal shells.

I suggest running at least 100 slugs through it as a start. Remington "Slugger" slugs are pretty cheap and fairly accurate IME.

SnakeLogan
11-07-09, 17:54
@SnakeLogan Thx for the tipps I will put the 12 pellet loads from federal and remington on my list. It would be even possible to get an 16 pellet load from remington, but I think an 16 pellet buckshot load would be overkill for sd.

The load I mentioned is 00 buck. The one you linked to is #1. I prefer 00 because it has deeper penetration.

WS6
11-07-09, 18:06
@Ws6 that's right the only way to find out if the reduced recoil loads work in my benelli m4 ist to test them.

Try the WInchester Supreme XX 12-pellet loads. They pattern VERY evenly in my experience.

WS6
11-07-09, 18:08
Both of my Benellis (M3 and Super Black Eagle) took several hundred shells and good gun oil (FP10, now Weaponshield) before they were happy running LE Low Recoil Federal shells.

I suggest running at least 100 slugs through it as a start. Remington "Slugger" slugs are pretty cheap and fairly accurate IME.

What's wierd is my M4 functioned with 2.75 Dram 1200fps Remington target bird-shot and yet the guy I sold it to messaged me saying it wouldn't run Win-Lite buckshot. I think a lot of it has to do with the shooter. I have around 10% body-fat and shoot in T-shirts (here in the south, it's warm...). this guy lived up north (wore a coat?) and may have been a bit softer (I don't know). If so, it means the gun moves more under recoil and the action must be cycled with more force to prevent "limp-wristing" because there is more give behind it. I dunno, just a thought.

LaRue MG Lube worked GREAT! on my M4's.

MarshallDodge
11-07-09, 19:55
Mine likes the Federal LE132 00 loads. They have the Flitecontrol wad. All nine pellets will hit the vitals on a silhouette at 20 yards with a 20" barrel.

Recoil seems a bit softer with these as well.

DBR
11-07-09, 22:09
IIRC the M4 is a gas gun not an inertia gun and was specifically designed to shoot light LE type loads

iceman0085
11-08-09, 04:44
@all Thx for the further information. I have done some more investigations and I have found an source which has some of the federal LE low recoil rounds in stock.I think I will order some too.

I am also intersted in using slugs for target/fun shooting in my benelli.Which slugs would you recomend for that purpose? I my opineon some classic brenneke slugs would be the best choice for that purpose. The foster type slugs are also obtanable, but hey are quite expensive here in austria.

WS6
11-08-09, 04:49
IIRC the M4 is a gas gun not an inertia gun and was specifically designed to shoot light LE type loads

Only the 4-port barrel (which was recalled) was designed for low-recoil rounds. Some M4's function some reduced recoil loads, and some don't function with some. THey are all below optimal.

WS6
11-08-09, 04:51
Mine likes the Federal LE132 00 loads. They have the Flitecontrol wad. All nine pellets will hit the vitals on a silhouette at 20 yards with a 20" barrel.

Recoil seems a bit softer with these as well.

Have you tried these rounds from an M4S90?

Glock17JHP
11-08-09, 17:50
OK, here's what to remember when deciding between Federal's LE132 00 9-pellet 'Low Recoil' 'Flight Control' and Winchester's RA1200 9-pellet 'Low Recoil' 'Ranger' loads (and 12-pellet 00 Buck 'Standard Velocity' loads)...

The Federal load patterns about 6 inches across at about 50 feet, and the Winchester patterns about 11 inches across at about 50 feet. The 12-pellet 00 Buck loads will be about 24 inches at this distance. This assumes an 18 inch cylinder bore barrel is on your shotgun.

Go outdoors and place targets that are those diameters (6, 11 and 24 inches) at 50 feet, and then look down the sights of your shotgun at them... you will decide really quick which load you would prefer, I think... That's what I did after patterning them myself in my shotgun...

WS6
11-08-09, 19:00
OK, here's what to remember when deciding between Federal's LE132 00 9-pellet 'Low Recoil' 'Flight Control' and Winchester's RA1200 9-pellet 'Low Recoil' 'Ranger' loads (and 12-pellet 00 Buck 'Standard Velocity' loads)...

The Federal load patterns about 6 inches across at about 50 feet, and the Winchester patterns about 11 inches across at about 50 feet. The 12-pellet 00 Buck loads will be about 24 inches at this distance. This assumes an 18 inch cylinder bore barrel is on your shotgun.

Go outdoors and place targets that are those diameters (6, 11 and 24 inches) at 50 feet, and then look down the sights of your shotgun at them... you will decide really quick which load you would prefer, I think... That's what I did after patterning them myself in my shotgun...

Though a MOD choke I was getting 8-12" at 10 yards and 12-15" at 15 yards.

Glock17JHP
11-08-09, 20:08
WS6,

Oops... wrong distance...
The 50 feet should have read 25 yards...

Sorry!!!

With my 12-pellet Winchester load, I got 2, 4, 7, 11 and 15 inches at 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 feet. These 10, 20, 30 40, and 50 foot patterns were gathered at an indoor range.

At 25 yards (75 feet), I got 24 inches. This 25 yard pattern was gathered at an outdoor range.

Thank you for helping me fix this misinformation.

-Ron.

WS6
11-08-09, 20:50
WS6,

Oops... wrong distance...
The 50 feet should have read 25 yards...

Sorry!!!

With my 12-pellet Winchester load, I got 2, 4, 7, 11 and 15 inches at 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 feet. These 10, 20, 30 40, and 50 foot patterns were gathered at an indoor range.

At 25 yards (75 feet), I got 24 inches. This 25 yard pattern was gathered at an outdoor range.

Thank you for helping me fix this misinformation.

-Ron.

NP, sounds like out to 15y it performed very similar for us. I forgot what the 25y patterns looked like.

Animal_Mother556
11-09-09, 09:56
Dude, just use birdshot. It's gonna do just as much damage at home in short range. And you aren't going to have lead balls rattling around in your child's room.

WS6
11-09-09, 11:41
Dude, just use birdshot. It's gonna do just as much damage at home in short range. And you aren't going to have lead balls rattling around in your child's room.

Seen too many cases where good officers have died due to forgetting birdshot was still in their SG's from practice. Also seen too many cases where people lived and continued to effectively fight/neutralize their opponent dispite being shot in the head at close-range with bird shot for me to trust it.

iceman0085
11-10-09, 03:18
@Glock17JHP

Thx for the tipp I will do that. Concerning Birdshot.I am sure that birdshot might work, but I have also read too much stories about failures when birdshot was used for sd or tactical shootings. . Overpenetration ist not an big issue, as I live allone at the moment and most walls here in austria are made of concrete, so the risk of overpenetration which 00 buckshot shouldn't be very high.

Animal_Mother556
11-10-09, 10:11
Well, I guess I have investigated too many deaths or saw photos from other agencies where birdshot was used in a shooting...and it's always done the job for the shooter. Just my opinion.

iceman0085
11-10-09, 10:41
I am aware that birdshot will work at an close range sd situation, I only have to find an l birdshot load that will work in my m4. I will check this out tomorow.

Animal_Mother556
11-10-09, 11:05
I'm sure you will be able to find something. There are some fairly strong birdshot loads out there. Good Luck

Old_Painless
11-10-09, 12:07
I am aware that birdshot will work at an close range sd situation, I only have to find an l birdshot load that will work in my m4. I will check this out tomorow.

I would strongly recommend that you use birdshot only for practice, and use buckshot for home defense.

No birdshot will reach the 12 inches minimum penetration required to reach the vital organs or central nervous system. Only buckshot will do so.

Birdshot is for little birds. Buckshot is for bad guys that are trying to kill you.

Forest
11-10-09, 12:34
Would this be a good time for a graphic training aid?

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/mdar15manager/Motivators/buckshot.jpg

iceman0085
11-11-09, 07:45
I'm sure you will be able to find something. There are some fairly strong birdshot loads out there. Good Luck

Thanks.

@Old Painless Thx for your informative post concering buckshot. the differnt buckshot loads I have ordered should arrive next week, then I check out how the differnt bird shot loads will pattern in my benelli.

WS6
11-15-09, 01:20

I literally have not found one that won't run my M4. Even 2.75 dram Remington skeet loads run in my M4.

Glock17JHP
11-15-09, 02:21
If you want to know one that might not work in your M4, there is a Winchester AA load called: 'Light Target Load', and 'Extra Light Target Load'... and then there is one called: 'Low Recoil / Low Noise'... this last one is labeled that it may not work in semi autos. The dram equivilent in actually listed as 'MIN', and the ounces of #8 shot are under 1 ounce (7/8?). This is (I believe) the lightest Winchester AA load made. I can't recall the load# off the top of my head...

WS6
11-15-09, 02:30
If you want to know one that might not work in your M4, there is a Winchester AA load called: 'Light Target Load', and 'Extra Light Target Load'... and then there is one called: 'Low Recoil / Low Noise'... this last one is labeled that it may not work in semi autos. The dram equivilent in actually listed as 'MIN', and the ounces of #8 shot are under 1 ounce (7/8?). This is (I believe) the lightest Winchester AA load made. I can't recall the load# off the top of my head...

Lol, I didn't say I was looking, just that I have not found :p

Glock17JHP
11-16-09, 14:44
Lol, I didn't say I was looking, just that I have not found :p

I know... I just wanted to mention the only load I have seen with an actual warning printed on it... :D