PDA

View Full Version : Reliability Round Count

Doogie
11-04-09, 18:34
Where is the floor for a round count that would lead an owner to believe his weapon was going to function reliably when called upon? 200 rnds., 300 rnds, - ??? (This is assuming proper cleaning and lubrication during session(s), PMAG's, NIB DPMS M4's...) - (yeah, I know - these 3 were a gift :p)

Doog[/SIZE]

Captains1911
11-04-09, 19:23
Where is the floor for a round count that would lead an owner to believe his weapon was going to function reliably when called upon? 200 rnds., 300 rnds, - ??? (This is assuming proper cleaning and lubrication during session(s), PMAG's, NIB DPMS M4's...) - (yeah, I know - these 3 were a gift :p)

Doog[/SIZE]

For me, I like to put at least 500 trouble free rounds thru a gun before I deem it reliable enough for defense,others may disagree, but 500 works for me.

ETA: and don't forget to test mags and carry ammo as well, as they are equally as important as the gun itself.

RogerinTPA
11-04-09, 19:25
A typical round count in a carbean course is 500 rounds a day x 3. If you can duplicate that, without malfunction, then that would be a really good reliability indicator. I normally detail strip, inspect and clean a new weapon, then shoot 1000 rounds or more, in a weekend, to make sure I don't have a "lemon", then detail strip, clean and inspect at the end, to make sure nothing has been loosened or broken. Then I deem it worthy or "proved", that is will handle carbean course, and thus reliable for any hard use I may be capable of putting it through.

Failure2Stop
11-04-09, 20:40
About 500 rounds or so might uncover glaring issues such as a tight chamber, tolerance stacking issues, improperly hardened parts, and the like. Most other issues won't come to light until the weapon has been through more use, which can't really be linked to a specific round-count, such as loosening gas-key screws, improper barrel torque, unstaked caste-nuts, bad bolts, etc. After that, you will start getting into the low-end of parts life expectancy.

Generally speaking, higher quality parts don't necessarily equal distinctly longer life, but rather a more consistent life and fit.

All that being said, it seems to me that at about 2000 rounds the parts have worn in sufficiently to "feel" right and operate well together due to complimentary wear.

Thomas M-4
11-04-09, 20:54
It takes 500 rounds for the BCG to break-in.
I would say at least 1000-1500 rounds.

E53001
11-05-09, 09:27
im with thomas on this one if its a NIB rifle you acquired, first 500 = break in so expect a couple hic cups id say, next 500-1000 keep close tabs and start a journal with dates, round count, ammo used etc.

C4IGrant
11-05-09, 10:23

Doog[/SIZE]

I think it depends on each weapon. What I mean by that is a lot the AR's made today have overly large gas ports. Then mix into the equation the three different types of gas systems.

I would say that if you have a milspec M4 that is properly lubed and are shooting good ammo, you would be good somewhere between 500-1000rds befor you would see malfunctions related to carbon buildup.

C4

ST911
11-05-09, 10:37
New guns for duty/defense get an acceptance inspection. As part of that, the guns run several hundred rounds using any new magazines that go with it. They will also shoot training and duty ammo at extremes of pressure/velocity to ensure they'll work on the job and at training.

I don't trust a gun until it demonstrates the ability to run hot, fouled, and fast.

carbinero
11-05-09, 13:32
Trying different ammo and being thoughtful about what happens differently has been educational for me, perhaps as much as round count. I've learned where cases go, which ammo was sized incorrectly, etc. Then you can tune your AR and/or ammo selection if necessary.