PDA

View Full Version : Off Duty Officer Involved Shooting

sniperfrog
11-04-09, 18:59
My buddy sent me some pics of an off duty El Paso, TX cop that shot 3 illegals trying to grab the backpack off of him. One was on a scooter and the other two were the ones trying to rob him and throw the bag to the other guy. The cop killed two "DRT" and shot the other one in both arms which he later bled out and died. He was wearing an appendix type rig at the 11 oclock position. Looks like he used a Beretta but its kinda hard to tell from the picture. Says it was a 40 cal too.

Chameleox
11-04-09, 19:25
I saw that photo string a few months ago. I don't recall specifics, but I remember something saying that this occurred way south of the border.

Edit: found a link here...NSFW!
http://ehowa.com/features/brazilshooting.shtml

PRGGodfather
11-04-09, 19:29
Yes.

The other photos associated with this one when it originally made the rounds revealed license plates and business signage inconsistent with El Paso or any US city. A search for El Paso shootings revealed no details or incidents consistent with the Interweb story.

kmrtnsn
11-04-09, 19:42
It is Sao Paulo, Brazil. Not El Paso, not Cuidad Juarez, Mexico. If you look at the billboard is says GRAVIA. Gravia is a Brazilian company.

jaholder
11-04-09, 20:03
Not surprised.

Brazil is a hellhole. Sao Paulo's crime problems makes Detroit look like Mayberry and the battles over dope around Nuevo Laredo pale when compared to the battles in Rio De Janeiro.

ThirdWatcher
11-04-09, 20:46
Brazil is one rough place to police: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SNYG2gb_kA :eek:

SWATcop556
11-04-09, 21:24
It was originally stated as an El Paso officer and made the rounds as the "border wars" started making big news. Was later confirmed as Brazilian Police. Gun used was either a 9mm or 40cal Beretta. Given the country I would lean towards 9mm but that's a very uneducated guess.

Regardless, damn good shooting.

AlphaTango23
11-04-09, 21:36
Wow! My hat goes off to the cop. Nice shooting!

decodeddiesel
11-04-09, 23:17
Bet they won't do that again.

tpd223
11-05-09, 04:47
I first saw those series of pics about two years ago, they were sent to me by a Brazilian federal copper I talk to regularly.

Gun was a Taurus 92, very much standard issue down there, I am told the ammo was very likely 115gr +P MagTec.

jaydoc1
11-05-09, 07:08
Certainly will save on court costs.

BAC
11-05-09, 07:38
Rock on.

-B

castillo
11-05-09, 10:13
American cops wouldnt sit there and watch a dude bleed out or there would be some serious civil liability to pay.

Shamdawg
11-05-09, 12:03
I agree that no US police officer would want his photograph taken watching suspects bleed out like that. There are too many lawsuit happy attorneys in the US that would view that article as a payday.

PRGGodfather
11-05-09, 12:17
Brazilian cops aren't exactly known for walking the straight and narrow, either. Without specific details as to the incident, it pains me to acknowledge there could have been multiple reasons these individuals were shot -- and not all of them legal or ethical -- but that is a conversation for a different day...

RPD03
11-05-09, 15:13
I agree that no US police officer would want his photograph taken watching suspects bleed out like that. There are too many lawsuit happy attorneys in the US that would view that article as a payday.

FWIW - I remember our county prosecutor telling us that after the scene was secure, we were required to provide medical help.

Leo Daher
11-05-09, 19:32
State police in Sao Paulo and elsewhere in Brazil went from .38 Special revolvers to .40 S&W semi-autos in the 1990's, so I guess that's a Taurus PT-100.

yrac
11-05-09, 20:12
Moved to GD. Changed title from "Off duty cop kills 3" to "Off duty Officer Involved Shooting." Original title gave impression of some illegal action on the part of a LEO.

Cascades236
11-06-09, 05:21
American cops wouldnt sit there and watch a dude bleed out or there would be some serious civil liability to pay.

Are you kidding me? If we did this we'd be strung up by the ACLU, NAACP and all the other extreme left wing "think" tanks that painted the 3 dead dudes as the victim.

I'll provide medical assistance when I know your buddy that I didn't kill isn't around the corner...

ZDL
11-06-09, 05:42