PDA

View Full Version : Why Colt, when there is BCM? j/k

Jimbo45
11-04-09, 21:00
Hi all. Haven't posted much here, but definitely not new to AR's, or guns in general. I am a prior service, current LEO, and a firearms instructor. I have 6 AR's (most are builds), and while none have let me down, I decided to get a BCM upper. After hearing all the kudos from an instructor last week, I decided to investigate and ended up buying an upper. It is a 14.5" with permanent A2X flash hider, and I also got the BCM BCG and CH. I received it in less than two days! This thing looks all business, and I can't wait to break it in! I hope to attend a carbine class in the spring, and will put several rounds through it in the meantime.

I slapped it on an M4 lower I had laying around, just to play with it, and get a few pics. I will assemble it into its intended form, later tonight.

So, who needs Colt, when you have a BCM....:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_1956.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_1954.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_1963.jpg

Ak44
11-04-09, 21:03
Nice rifle :cool: I wish BCM would subdue their logos though..

SWATcop556
11-04-09, 21:05
What's a Colt? BCM FTW! :cool:

I have a Colt I went through the academy with but all of my serious social guns are BCM. One is a 11.5 and the other is a 16 middie.

Dunderway
11-04-09, 21:20
That is really an amazing deal on that upper. I spent about $100 more having the same thing built a couple of months ago. Wish I would have waited.

Jimbo45
11-04-09, 21:26
That is really an amazing deal on that upper. I spent about $100 more having the same thing built a couple of months ago. Wish I would have waited.

I know, I couldn't pass it up! I will prolly have a couple more BCM uppers, along with a lower or two, by next summer, if they produce what I think they are going to put out! Good stuff!

BTW, I am going to put the rifle together mostly, in its intended form, here in a bit (need to make a store run to make party mix first ;)). I can take pics, if anyone cares....

Belmont31R
11-04-09, 22:27
Nice rifle :cool: I wish BCM would subdue their logos though..

As do I. A stamped/engraved BCM like the Colt "C" next to the forge mark would be ideal.

frbowers
11-04-09, 23:44
You guys are bitching about the little BCM logo when Colt is still putting the restricted to LE/Mil/Gov crap on their lowers? :rolleyes:

Ak44
11-04-09, 23:50
You guys are bitching about the little BCM logo when Colt is still putting the restricted to LE/Mil/Gov crap on their lowers? :rolleyes:

I don't believe I was bitching, can't I be entitled to my opinion? :)

tylerw02
11-05-09, 01:07
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of bright white logos, either. I just took a sharpie to mine, left it on over night, then wiped it off. Looks subdued now.

kalikraven
11-05-09, 01:20
Nice rifle I wish BCM would subdue their logos though..

I agree 110% I have one of thier bolts and I think that it's cheasy that they had to put thier logo on it.

SWATcop556
11-05-09, 01:27
I agree 110% I have one of thier bolts and I think that it's cheasy that they had to put thier logo on it.

With all of the fake BCM BCGs that hit the market during the panic buying, I understand why Paul made that decision. Not my favorite thing but mine is usually covered in carbon and lube so it's very hard to see. :cool:

The logo on the uppers is a non-issue for me but I wouldn't mind a dark grey or subdued logo. As long as Paul keeps cranking out his gear for those prices I'd buy it with a pink logo on it!

variablebinary
11-05-09, 01:29
Your bolt carrier looks almost NP3 treated. Or is that just the flash?

Ak44
11-05-09, 01:36
I wasn't aware there were fake BCM BCG during the panic, makes a lot more sense now. Regardless of the BCM lettering on their uppers, I'm saving my money to get a BCM 11.5" w/ URX II :cool: That and an Ionbond BCM BCG. :D

Jimbo45
11-05-09, 01:40
Your bolt carrier looks almost NP3 treated. Or is that just the flash?

No NP3 treatment. The BCG logo looks gold in normal light. It must have been the flash. More pics to come....

Jimbo45
11-05-09, 01:54
On top is the new BCM. Tomorrow, when the MOE handguards arrive, I will put those on, along with the TLR-1. Below is the backup patrol rifle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_1970.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_1964.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_1975.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_1976.jpg

SWATcop556
11-05-09, 02:12
I wasn't aware there were fake BCM BCG during the panic, makes a lot more sense now. Regardless of the BCM lettering on their uppers, I'm saving my money to get a BCM 11.5" w/ URX II :cool: That and an Ionbond BCM BCG. :D

There were fake BCM BCGs going for almost 75-100% markup on eBay. It was crap and Paul got tired of people ripping shooters off by claiming to sell his product so now we have the BCM markings on the BCGs. Again it's a non-issue for me.

My BCM 11.5 is my go-to boom stick. I have the Larue 10.0 on it and I love it. When the coin allows I wouldn't mind trying the URX II but all of my rifles wear the Texas-born Larue kit. :cool:

variablebinary
11-05-09, 02:22
Good lucking gun. I have a 6920 lower waiting to be completed. BCM seems like it might be the right solution.

Col_Crocs
11-05-09, 05:35
On top is the new BCM. Tomorrow, when the MOE handguards arrive, I will put those on, along with the TLR-1. Below is the backup patrol rifle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_1970.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_1964.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_1975.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_1976.jpg

WHat lowers do you have on those 2? Glad to see your taking yours out soon. My BCM's still waiting for something to sit on.

M4arc
11-05-09, 06:05
IMO BCM stuff is every bit as nice and built as Colt, especially the BFH stuff.

As for the logo, it doesn't matter to me. As long as it's reliable and goes BANG everytime I couldn't care less.

ST911
11-05-09, 10:53
I saw the complaint of the BCM logo elsewhere, too.Some folks are putting ARMS, CAA, TDI, and like gear on the guns, but complain about white letters. Curious.

kwelz
11-05-09, 11:17
I saw the complaint of the BCM logo elsewhere, too.Some folks are putting ARMS, CAA, TDI, and like gear on the guns, but complain about white letters. Curious.

I know! It boggles my mind.

Belmont31R
11-05-09, 11:22
I know! It boggles my mind.

I just don't like my guns to look like billboards after putting on what I want.

I wouldnt mind subdued markings...but big white lettering turns me off to a product. I still buy BCM because they make such good stuff I can live with their markings...but I take sharpies to it.

And if preventing forgeries was the main reason behind this...there are other spaces to put the marks.

Tangotag
11-05-09, 11:29
BCM's assembled barrel-less uppers don't come with the logo.
I for one, kind of like the logo.

skipper49
11-05-09, 12:04
I just put together my first BCM Middy project last weekend, and all I can say is that the way this thing looks,feels and shoots, it could have a neon logo and I wouldn't mind.

Skip

Jimbo45
11-05-09, 17:08

Ha ha, I know, right?! That BCM logo could be pink, and I'd still buy BCM. Great stuff at great prices.

MarshallDodge
11-05-09, 17:32
I picked up a BCM upper in July and am really happy with it.

Although it isn't critical, I tend to get hung up on things like fit and finish. It makes me feel like the person building the stuff actually cares so I was impressed at how well their stuff is put together.

And yes, it's a good shooter too. :D

cschwanz
11-05-09, 18:33
looking forward to buying my first BCM in the very near future. i could care less about the logos, lol. they are simple and classy lookin

11-05-09, 18:43
Swat- Sure do love my Colts, but Paul is a warrior and a great guy. Hard not to send him $$$. Great products for the shooters.

How's the daughter? Hope she and mom are doing well.

Liking the Hatch knee pads you recommended.

Skter505
11-05-09, 19:31
I would prefer a black or no logo on the upper, or a logo on the top where the BUIS goes like RRA uses, but I have and still will buy them regardless.

Wilco
11-05-09, 19:54
Oh please....Too many fanboys here. I love BCM, have tons of their stuff, buy my accessories from them, but if i had to pick my go to weapon, its one of my 6920s or one of my Noveskes, with the BCM a close second with a LMT or Sabre.

bakon
11-05-09, 20:29
Does BCM make a complete rifle or just the pieces you put together? I checked their site and cant find a complete one. I checked the list in knowledge list and they rank 2 to Colt but offer a better warranty. Only thing I can figure is they are a kit?

Mate
11-05-09, 20:43
And here I am, thinking we're actually supposed to shoot these things! Apparently I'm just supposed to look at it.

Paint it, shoot it, whatever. Enough use and it'll come off.

El Mac
11-05-09, 20:50
And here I am, thinking we're actually supposed to shoot these things! Apparently I'm just supposed to look at it.

Paint it, shoot it, whatever. Enough use and it'll come off.

amen!

Byron
11-05-09, 20:53
Does BCM make a complete rifle or just the pieces you put together? I checked their site and cant find a complete one. I checked the list in knowledge list and they rank 2 to Colt but offer a better warranty. Only thing I can figure is they are a kit?
They don't make a complete rifle for sale directly, but you can get one that has been assembled by G&R

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16M_RIFLE&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBCOM

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16M4_RIFLE&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBCOM

Dunderway
11-05-09, 21:20
Oh please....Too many fanboys here. I love BCM, have tons of their stuff, buy my accessories from them, but if i had to pick my go to weapon, its one of my 6920s or one of my Noveskes, with the BCM a close second with a LMT or Sabre.

Please explain your ranking system, and your reasoning. I own a BCM middie and a pinned LMT 14.5. I'm really regretting the LMT since I could have had more for much less by waiting for the new BCM 14.5 upper. I would love to know how much more reliable your Noveske or Colt are than your BCM.

variablebinary
11-06-09, 02:45
I found myself thinking about this thread at work.

That 14.5" with BCM A2X keeps calling out to my wallet.

Jimbo45
11-06-09, 02:52
Ok, here is the last picture, I promise. It is ready to go to the range, and then duty use.

Guys, I didn't intend for this thread to start a bickering brand contest. Colt, BMC, LMT, Noveske, and yes, even BM and CMT, I like them all, logos or no logos. I just haven't seen any better upper, at any price, than BMC, and am stoked to put one to the test.

For those of you that haven't tried the MOE handguards...you really should. If I was made of $, I would have these on all 6 of my AR's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_1978.jpg

SWATcop556
11-06-09, 04:43
Looks good and should serve you well. Now we just need to get you a real RDS! :D

Just funnin'

6933, things go well here at the casa. She's already 2 1/2 months old!! Holy crap time flies. Momma is good to and back at work.

That cold Shiner still waits when you make it out to TX. :cool:

Jimbo45
11-06-09, 05:12
Looks good and should serve you well. Now we just need to get you a real RDS! :D

Yeah? Which RDS are you a fan of?

I must say, I do HATE the very minimal battery life, with the "N" type batteries. But, for fast acquisition, and targets under 100 yards, the EoTech can't be beat, in my opinion. It serves well for this rifle's intended purpose (except for the battery type :mad:).

Col_Crocs
11-06-09, 07:14

I must say, I do HATE the very minimal battery life, with the "N" type batteries. But, for fast acquisition, and targets under 100 yards, the EoTech can't be beat, in my opinion. It serves well for this rifle's intended purpose (except for the battery type :mad:).

I agree. Cant say I dont want a Micro T-1 because I do badly but for the record, with exception of the battery life issue, my closed-minded-511 purchase has served me well for the most part.

SWATcop556
11-06-09, 11:17

I use Aimpoints, specifically the T1. I used the M3 with a 2MOA dot for years before that.

When I first got into LE I was a big EOthingy fan but after having the batteries shit the bed at very inconvenient times, twice. Then the battery connection broke under static firing conditions, I'd had enough. I went back to shooting irons.

Not to long after that I ran into Freddie B. with Aimpoint. After watching him throw different models down the range (which was gravel) then throw it back on a rifle and blast away I was sold. I'm just as fast on the clock with the Aimpoint and I don't have a circle around my dot because for me at least it really blurred my sight picture for shots longer than about 50 yards.

Battery life there is no equal and I'd like to see an EO get thrown around and still hold it's zero. I just put a new battery in every January and leave it on 24/7. No more making entry on a barricaded subject and finding my reticle flashing at me saying "you better hurry up because I'm only going to be on for another two minutes."

That's just my personal experience so take it for what it's worth. My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Apologies to the OP for going off-topic. I dig your rifle and if the EOthingy works for you then get after it. My RDS comment was meant in jest, thus the smilie after it. Stay safe out there and I'm looking for that range report! :cool:

Venice Will
11-06-09, 13:40
Y'all BCM savvy, so help this po' newbie out....

I was lookin' into an LWRC M6A2 or a Novesly N4 light....

Someone mentioned..."save you funds and buy a BCM upper and good lower..."

So what am I looking for to build a complete 14.5" on par with the Noveske N4 or LWRC M6A2...?

"Urban Tactical" jungle use (ie. home or 2-legged varmint eliminator)....and I ain't big on muzzle flip, so I'm already chasin' down that piece...

THANKS

Alex F
11-06-09, 15:32
They don't make a complete rifle for sale directly, but you can get one that has been assembled by G&R

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16M_RIFLE&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBCOM

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16M4_RIFLE&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBCOM

I'd love to have a 'factory' BCM 11.5 SBR rifle so that I don't have to jump through the engraving hoops for a homebuilt.

Looks like Colt or Noveske for me for now :(

SWATcop556
11-06-09, 17:40
I'd love to have a 'factory' BCM 11.5 SBR rifle so that I don't have to jump through the engraving hoops for a homebuilt.

Engraving is pretty easy. After yousend in the Form 1 and you're killing time for the next 90-120 days just send it off to one of the many reputable engravers and you're done.

Trust me your lower will be back before your tax stamp. Same wait and you can build to your specs. Just saying. :cool:

Alex F
11-06-09, 19:19
Engraving is pretty easy. After yousend in the Form 1 and you're killing time for the next 90-120 days just send it off to one of the many reputable engravers and you're done.

Trust me your lower will be back before your tax stamp. Same wait and you can build to your specs. Just saying. :cool:

Hehe, I'll keep that in mind :)

BravoCompanyUSA
11-06-09, 19:27

Coming soon....:p
Grant will have some BCM SBR lower groups, in the next few months.
Just waiting for all the paperwork to finish circulating.

Thanks very much to everyone for their kind words.
Paul

Alex F
11-06-09, 20:00
Kick ass.

Thanks guys!

SWATcop556
11-06-09, 21:00
Coming soon....:p
Grant will have some BCM SBR lower groups, in the next few months.
Just waiting for all the paperwork to finish circulating.

Thanks very much to everyone for their kind words.
Paul

I'm in!!!! Show me to the pre-order list!!! :D

Jimbo45
11-09-09, 00:12
I use Aimpoints, specifically the T1. I used the M3 with a 2MOA dot for years before that.

When I first got into LE I was a big EOthingy fan but after having the batteries shit the bed at very inconvenient times, twice. Then the battery connection broke under static firing conditions, I'd had enough. I went back to shooting irons.

Not to long after that I ran into Freddie B. with Aimpoint. After watching him throw different models down the range (which was gravel) then throw it back on a rifle and blast away I was sold. I'm just as fast on the clock with the Aimpoint and I don't have a circle around my dot because for me at least it really blurred my sight picture for shots longer than about 50 yards.

Battery life there is no equal and I'd like to see an EO get thrown around and still hold it's zero. I just put a new battery in every January and leave it on 24/7. No more making entry on a barricaded subject and finding my reticle flashing at me saying "you better hurry up because I'm only going to be on for another two minutes."

That's just my personal experience so take it for what it's worth. My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Apologies to the OP for going off-topic. I dig your rifle and if the EOthingy works for you then get after it. My RDS comment was meant in jest, thus the smilie after it. Stay safe out there and I'm looking for that range report! :cool:

No harm, we're on the same team! :D

Truth be told, I do think I could do better than the EoTech. I have looked at the T-1, and really may go that route, when funds allow. But, I just can't get over that 4 moa dot. The EoTech's 1 moa seems large enough most times. Do you have trouble with the 4 moa dot on small targets, say, at 100 yards?

Oh, the range report: as expected, it functioned like a top with my reloads and some PMC. I only had time to zero it, and burn 60 rounds, but will try to get to the range in a few weeks, and get it warm.

Belmont31R
11-09-09, 00:58

Truth be told, I do think I could do better than the EoTech. I have looked at the T-1, and really may go that route, when funds allow. But, I just can't get over that 4 moa dot. The EoTech's 1 moa seems large enough most times. Do you have trouble with the 4 moa dot on small targets, say, at 100 yards?

Oh, the range report: as expected, it functioned like a top with my reloads and some PMC. I only had time to zero it, and burn 60 rounds, but will try to get to the range in a few weeks, and get it warm.

I dont believe the EoTech dot is 1 MOA. I think its closer to 2 when you have the brightness setting at a usable setting. Compare the dot size next to a true 1 inch dot at 100 yards...Ive done it numerous times, and the EOTech dot has always been a little bigger for me. A true 1MOA dot would be very fine in size.

Also the T1 dot is closer to 3.5 MOA. This from Aimpoint and Pat Rogers. Ive also compared these...M3 vs. T1, and the T1 dot is slightly smaller than the 4 MOA dot in the M3.

Just something to think about.

RetreatHell
11-09-09, 02:24

Yeah the Aimpoint Micro T-1 actually has approx a 3.2 MOA dot.

As for hitting targets at 100 yards with it, the T-1 is retarded easy to use at that distance. Here's a vid of me shooting at a man-sized plate at 100 yards unsupported. Notice my rate of fire isn't exactly slow either, as soon as I reacquire the target I engage. I'm also shooting into the sun at dusk. Like I said, it's retarded easy at 100 yards:
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/RetreatHell/Shooting%20Vids/th_VID00066.jpg (http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/RetreatHell/Shooting%20Vids/?action=view&current=VID00066.flv)

In this one I had to take my cheek off the stock a couple times b/c I lost the target in the sun:
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/RetreatHell/Shooting%20Vids/th_VID00065.jpg (http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/RetreatHell/Shooting%20Vids/?action=view&current=VID00065.flv)

FYI, I'm shooting my new BCM 16" middy (ammo was PMC 55gr)... LOVE this gun!

USMC03 also has stated several times on this site that he routinely shoots steel at 400+ yards (I think around 425, but I can't remember the exact number) supported with a BCM and aimpoint T-1, and on a bad day with wind it might take him 1 or maybe 2 rounds to get on target, but once he makes his first hit and figures out his hold over, he drills it repeatedly. I believe it's a 12" plate he shoots at too, but I could be wrong.

In other words, the T-1 is good to go, brother! As is your new BCM! Congrats on your new rifle;)

Semper Fi,

Paul

Jimbo45
11-09-09, 08:36
I think you guys have convinced me. Hey, you guys are trying to make me spend more money, aren't ya'? I suppose I'll start saving now. Anybody want a nice used, but gently scuffed, Eotech 551.A65? Nice vids, RH! Off to an MFI course this afternoon, and I worked 12 hr mid shift last night. Better catch some zzzz's. Wish me luck!

Jimbo45
11-09-09, 08:45
WHat lowers do you have on those 2? Glad to see your taking yours out soon. My BCM's still waiting for something to sit on.

Sorry, I missed your question....
14.5" BCM is on a Bushmaster lower (untill I get a BCM lower :D) with MIAD and milspec stock set and H buffer, the other is on a Global tactical (CMT/Stag) lower.