PDA

View Full Version : Suppressors for AR's?

Eagle1*
07-06-06, 00:04
I am looking at getting any good info on any of the Suppressors on the market. I am really looking at the Surefire units as I have read great things about them. This will be for my M4 AR for duty use. Thanks...

bigbore
07-06-06, 06:36
All the known brands are good choices. Some are more worth the price paid than others, so do your research. IMO, the best value for the money is the YHM suppressor.

LukeMacGillie
07-06-06, 07:39
Depends on your use,

I went with a Gemtech M496D. Its been tested and is in use by the military, but had a lower price, and was in stock, as opposed to the KAC.

I prefer milspec, but that does not mean that other supressors that are not in use by the military are "Bad"

mr h
07-06-06, 14:27
here is my .02- from a newbie to cans,, YMMV however,,,

i bought a AAC M4 2000 which hasworked as expected but is heavy as are most fast attach cans. i also thought i was going to be able to use this on a 16" barrel and run around playing mall ninja but quickly found out that 22 oz of steel on the end of a 16" barrel is not all that great. so i re-evaluated the application and came up with this,,

the suppressor is more at home on a 18" SPR-bipod set up and/or a 11.5" CQB rifle. seems like a much better place for it. sometimes i use the M4 barrel but not as often.

currently i have in transfer an aac scar-sd can which is a little shorter/lighter than the m4 2000 but won't be as quiet. i mainly am looking to save my ears in the event i need to use my 11.5" to save my life. the longer m4 2000 will most likely end up on my SPR and being shot from a rested position.

to save weight i have thought about getting a SRT typhoon muzzle mounted can for the 11.5" since i plan on it being a deticated set up.

http://www.srtarms.com/

Todd.K
07-07-06, 21:39
I would look for one of the shorter lighter cans.

The AAC SCAR-SD changed the way I thought about cans on carbines. Less weight, shorter OAL. They "fit" a carbine if you know what I'm getting at.

I don't care about a few more dB, I can still shoot without hearing protection and a 5.56mm carbine is loud even with the "best" silencer you can get.

Get a one that uses a fast-attach, not because of how fast you can put it on but because once you do it won't get loose while shooting like a thread mounted silencer can.

dubb-1
07-08-06, 17:07
My three favorite suppressors are :

Gemtech HALO
OPS INC 15th
Surefire FA556K

Each has it's own set of benefits, some more valuable than others. And each is made by respectable Americans.

CapnCrunch
07-08-06, 18:09
My three favorite suppressors are :

Gemtech HALO
OPS INC 15th
Surefire FA556K

Each has it's own set of benefits, some more valuable than others. And each is made by respectable Americans.
My list looks frighteningly close to Damian's. I like the standard Surefire FA556A a bit more than the "K", however.

LukeMacGillie
07-09-06, 15:22
Ive been thinking about getting my 96D retrofited to be a Halo.

I have 2 14.5s with perm bilocks, one is nearing the end of its service life, the other one has many, many years of shooting left in it.

M4Guru
07-09-06, 16:27
I like the Surefire 556-K, as well. The Gemtech HALO and M96QD are also top-notch performers.

txswat
07-10-06, 16:18
We have severeal of the Gemtech HALOs and they work well. The big selling point for us was that they would fit on any standard A2 flash suppressor. That alleviated some of the cost for new falsh hiders. We are very happy with them thus far.

bigbore
07-10-06, 16:26
The Gemtech G5 is also worth looking into. The new mount is a noticable improvement over the 96-D
http://www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/g5sidebyside.jpg

I also think if its going on a 16" and under barrel, its best to get the smaller cans - The SCAR-SD over the M4 2K, or the 556K over M4556FA...

SethB
07-10-06, 17:30
Steve, isn't the K model actually longer when installed on the gun, by about 3/4 of an inch?

bigbore
07-10-06, 18:14
Steve, isn't the K model actually longer when installed on the gun, by about 3/4 of an inch?

Hell, I dunno? I know its lighter, but I've never measured it and Surefire doesn't even have the K model listed on their site yet. I'll find out when I get back to the shop tomorrow.

bigbore
07-11-06, 10:20
K on the bottomhttp://www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/surefire_length.jpg

CapnCrunch
07-11-06, 16:24
Steve, great pics!

Now, if we can only convince you to weigh them both ;)

SuicideHz
07-12-06, 14:56
dubb-1 summed it up well when he listed the top three RESPECTABLE American manufacturers. That is how I would list them based on how I or people I know have been treated by people on that list and not on that list.

bigbore
07-12-06, 16:48
Steve, great pics!

Now, if we can only convince you to weigh them both ;)

got one a while back...
http://www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/556kweight.jpg

Nitrox
07-12-06, 17:56
This has become a very hot topic lately so I will just say Gentech and OPS Inc are very good people with an outstanding product.