PDA

View Full Version : 12 o'clock light mount on CQB MRP

faithmyeyes
11-04-09, 22:49
Am finally enjoying shooting my new 16" MRP. My question is this: would you consider moving the front sight rearward far enough to mount, say, a Surefire X300, given the length of the CQB MRP rail? The rail appears to be roughly a 9" rail (it's 9 5/8" from the forward edge of the ejection port to the forward edge of the rail). Right now the distance from rear aperture to front post is 15".

I've seen lights mounted that way numerous times, but it's always been on a longer rail, usually in front of a standard FSB, or on an SBR. With the 16" barrel, how much can you shrink the iron sight radius before you start seriously making it harder to shoot accurately?

Belmont31R
11-04-09, 23:16
Am finally enjoying shooting my new 16" MRP. My question is this: would you consider moving the front sight rearward far enough to mount, say, a Surefire X300, given the length of the CQB MRP rail? The rail appears to be roughly a 9" rail (it's 9 5/8" from the forward edge of the ejection port to the forward edge of the rail). Right now the distance from rear aperture to front post is 15".

I've seen lights mounted that way numerous times, but it's always been on a longer rail, usually in front of a standard FSB, or on an SBR. With the 16" barrel, how much can you shrink the iron sight radius before you start seriously making it harder to shoot accurately?

Ive gone from mounting lights on the R side to the L side to the top rail.

With the stock X300 mount you should be able to use the irons but just barely. I have mine on LaRue mounts, and it obscures the irons.

However I look at it like this. I already pay good money for good quality dependable gear. How many people have you heard of having an Aimpoint fail on them for some reason? Most of us have flip up irons so if I really had to use them the LaRue lever on the X300 is a second to take off and toss in a pocket. At night I cant see iron sights anyways.

With the MRP and a fixed mounted iron sight like the LMT unit I would just mount it behind the X300 or sell it and buy a folding buis like Troy or Knights. I know Chromeluv has had his mounted like this...X300 infront of a fixed mounted iron sight. Its entirely usable as a back up system as far as the sight radius goes. You can also use the Aimpoint as a giant ghost ring as close range too. Try it sometime...

nickdrak
11-05-09, 00:15
When I had my 16" MRP (CQB), I ran the X300 in-front of my flip-up Troy in the 12 o'clock position. It gave me about the same sight radius that a carbine length FSB offers. Certainly not "ideal", but still very workable. I had no issues with that set-up when running the irons.