PDA

View Full Version : Slick Plate Carrier Help

Ak44
11-05-09, 02:49
I'm looking to buy a slick plate carrier for myself this holiday. I've seen the previous body armor threads and really have started liking the Mayflower Low Profile. I also like the Eagle LVAC. There is another vest I saw on the Magpul AOTTC II during the gear dvd section, it was a slick plate carrier Chris Costa was wearing. Not sure what the name of it was, but it looked extremely low profile. If anyone can suggest what I should spend my money on it would most appreciated. I need a vest that can take soft armor and plates. I'm in the process of buying some soft armor from DBT and need it to go into something :D

SPDGG
12-16-09, 01:47
+1 to the above, Would like to know as well.

Ak44
12-16-09, 01:53
According to a post over at the TOS, Travis said that it was a prototype vest and that he would not say who's prototype it is...:cool: Still look pretty nice and low pro

catatonic
12-16-09, 01:54
The Mayflower rigs have gotten great reviews so far. If you have an account on lightfighter there are 2 stud board threads that cover the mayflower rig.

Ak44
12-16-09, 01:59
Yeah the mayflower looks really nice, only reason why I was curious about the one on AOTTCII was that it had breathing mesh all over it.

SPDGG
12-16-09, 02:46
According to a post over at the TOS, Travis said that it was a prototype vest and that he would not say who's prototype it is...:cool: Still look pretty nice and low pro If anyone knows in the near future who will be manuf. of these please post here. Looks to be a great low profile plate carrier for LEO.

Failure2Stop
12-16-09, 03:59
I'm not all that clear on what you are asking for.

A "slick" plate carrier implies a carrier for plates only with no molle/pals or pouches.

Something with soft armor is more of a low-profile/concelable armor package, unless you mean that you need to back an in-conjunction plate with soft armor in a plate carrier.

I am not bashing you about terminology, but if you could give examples of what you want (perferably with a link or pic), or what soft armor you have already purchased it will make it a bit easier to pin it down and give more solid info.

catatonic
12-16-09, 04:07

A "slick" plate carrier implies a carrier for plates only with no molle/pals or pouches.

Something with soft armor is more of a low-profile/concelable armor package, unless you mean that you need to back an in-conjunction plate with soft armor in a plate carrier.

I am not bashing you about terminology, but if you could give examples of what you want (perferably with a link or pic), or what soft armor you have already purchased it will make it a bit easier to pin it down and give more solid info.

I believe he is looking for one with no MOLLE/PALS on the vest. I also believe he means using plates with backers in a PC setup.
That is how I understood it.

ETA the 2 he was looking at:
Mayflower:
http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/catalog/Low%20Profile%20Carrier_1.jpg
Eagle:
http://www.skdtac.com/v/vspfiles/photos/EAG.566-2T.jpg

Ak44
12-16-09, 04:25

No worries on bashing I appreciate that you are posting to help me out. Indeed I am looking for an armor system that is more primarily concealable, takes soft armor and hard plates. I made it unclear by throwing in two different things such as a plate carrier and something that takes soft armor as well. I'd like to buy the DBT QVA3A spear cut soft armor, but then again it's still up in the air.

Failure2Stop
12-16-09, 06:27
Apologies- I had a lapse of reading comprehension, the first post clearly stated what carriers were being looked at.

I have heard positive reviews of the Mayflower from some very serious people, though I have not used them personally.

welchtactical
12-16-09, 07:07
Mayflower gear is very well made and light. Contact the guys at Grey Group. They'll hook you up.

rob_s
12-16-09, 07:54
No worries on bashing I appreciate that you are posting to help me out. Indeed I am looking for an armor system that is more primarily concealable, takes soft armor and hard plates.

Mayflower.

Follow through the whole thread and you'll see what I'm doing with mine. Can't imagine a better solution for a non-professional, and can imagine a lot of professionals that could use something like this.
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34596

Fireguy275
12-16-09, 11:08
If you decide you want a balcs cut carrier like the Eagle LVAC, take a look at the TAG Havoc. I have owned both, and the Havoc fits me better and has more adjustability in the shoulders.

You can get the twaron balcs cut soft armor from Grey Group to go with for a good price.

militarymoron
12-16-09, 14:49
I'd like to buy the DBT QVA3A spear cut soft armor, but then again it's still up in the air.

isn't this what you're looking for, from DBT? it's their QVA3A spear cut armour in a concealable carrier that holds plates.
http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/Predator-Low-Vis-Carrier-V-PLV-SQVA--P77C39.aspx

eva05
12-16-09, 17:23
The vest worn by Chris in AOTC2 is the Omega Nitro (http://omega-global.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=60&category_id=7&vmcchk=1)

This is a ultra-light super low profile vest made with custom materials that are not used by anyone else in the market place. I have run courses with these running soft plus boron carbide swimmers plates under clothes with a MK3 Hellcat chest rig under a button up XL(I normally wear L) shirt.

They are very light, very low pro and quite a bit more comfortable than the competition IMO. I'm not sure if this stuff is for sale to the public, but mine was $250.

j

Ak44
12-17-09, 07:35
The vest worn by Chris in AOTC2 is the Omega Nitro (http://omega-global.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=60&category_id=7&vmcchk=1)

This is a ultra-light super low profile vest made with custom materials that are not used by anyone else in the market place. I have run courses with these running soft plus boron carbide swimmers plates under clothes with a MK3 Hellcat chest rig under a button up XL(I normally wear L) shirt.

They are very light, very low pro and quite a bit more comfortable than the competition IMO. I'm not sure if this stuff is for sale to the public, but mine was $250.

j

http://www.omega-global.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Omega_Nitro_4a287a04cc56b.jpg

Thanks for the info! I'm sure what kind of plate you use also dictates how concealable it is as well. I think I'm leaning more towards the Mayflower rig.

rob_s
12-17-09, 07:42
I find those Omega claims to be a little silly. The carrier could breathe all it wants, as soon as you put the soft panels in the point is moot and whatever breathability it had is out the window. Or are they saying the armor itself is breathable?

GreyOps
12-17-09, 08:11
Breathability kind of goes out the window when you advertise your soft armor as being "heat sealed for waterproofing".

eva05
12-18-09, 16:36
I have never used them in an operational environment because I am not an operator.

I will say these are in use by some very high speed folk overseas. I know this first hand. I know the specific unit in question uses them over competitive product because I was there at the evals.

Not trying to take away anything from Mayflower here, which I have never used.

I say if you can try both, do so. If it comes down to the interweb and there's no try before you buy...well I've spent too much on nylon in my life as it is. Buy whatever Grey Group sells LOL

j

rob_s
12-18-09, 18:20
I have never used them in an operational environment because I am not an operator.

I will say these are in use by some very high speed folk overseas. I know this first hand. I know the specific unit in question uses them over competitive product because I was there at the evals.

Not trying to pick on you here, but so what?

I'd rather see you address the comments re: the "breathability" than what super-secret-squirrel unit uses them overseas, or what training celebrity uses them on a DVD. Not to take anything away from either of them, but how is what a "high speed" guy uses in Afghanistan relevant to what I use at a shoot house and for a bump in the night?

So far I see a product webpage that sounds like it's full of BS and one advocate that would rather talk about who uses the product than what it does.

Ak44
12-18-09, 18:30
What works for some may not work for others. I'm sure what SpecOp guys use works for them and their mission but I'm not doing raids and fast roping out of helos and such. I appreciate the comments on the various rigs I'm looking at. I'm just really looking for something that I could wear for work (security) and potential shooting classes and such. Something that is comfortable and low pro. Breath ability would be a plus but after 6+ hrs of wearing any vest I'm sure I'll have a nice sweaty undershirt lol.

eva05
12-18-09, 21:16
They are very light, very low pro and quite a bit more comfortable than the competition IMO.j

Hi RobS

In my original post I mentioned this...I guess this doesn't answer the question of breathability specifically...I'll try to elaborate (before I do my only frame of reference here is a Paraclete low vis system).

The material itself is very lightweight. In fact it's surprising how light considering how durable the stuff is supposed to be. The breathability is driven by a mesh liner that allows your skin to...well breath I guess. It's still hot on a hot day, but it was considerably more comfortable than Eagle PC or the Paraclete Low Vis.

I'm not a salesmen or rep for this company and gain nothing from you trashing them or evangelizing them. Considering you've never heard of them or used their stuff, I'm surprised at your vitriol. And starting your post with some passive aggressive, "Not trying to pick on you, but so what" is pretty much calling me out and looking for a fight.

j

JSantoro
12-18-09, 23:25
Since that's not even close to what passive-aggressive actually IS, no, it's not calling you out for a fight.

Calling you out on answering a direct question about a product by inferring that the SAS Task Force from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 uses the thing...makes sense. Your response looked like a deflection, not an answer.

Now that you've at least made an attempt to answer the question regarding what may or may not be a feature of the product, maybe you can back off of mistaking bluntness for aggression. He's probably conducted more gear evaluations than you've attended, and generally asks pertinent questions without worrying about whether or not somebody's so sensitive that they break their fingers while rubbing them across the dimples on a golf ball.

Hell, like tons of others, I've spent enough time sweltering in armor to be skeptical about the supposed breathability of ballistic panels that're sealed up for water resistance. Seems disingenuous. That merely makes me skeptical; it doesn't make you a liar.