PDA

View Full Version : PNT&N November Training DR

USAFR
11-05-09, 11:45
OK guys heres the deal, lets get together and do a bit of training, we can meet at Douglas Ridge RR on the 14th, Saterdayat 9:00 am and set up on the 100-200 yrd range, we can shoot pistol as well on the 100-200.

We will have to supply our targets, I have a range box with staplers, the range has target stands so no worrys there.

If you havent been to DR there are stores within a couple of miles but if we get started at 9:30 or so we should be done by noon or there abouts.

I have a book Ive put together with different drills so anyone can run the range.

DR has a cool web sight with a map and stuff so I wont cover how the get out there.
Any thing else, just ask.

Rob

Titleist
11-05-09, 12:03
I'm down, it'd pretty much deplete what's left of my "fun ammo" but I can make it work ;)

Titleist
11-06-09, 19:20
I can't be the only person wanting to go to this? Anyone else?

I know I can get at least 1-2 more guys to tag along as well.

bkb0000
11-06-09, 22:27
I can probably get a couple guys, one brand new guy for sure would want to come. i also have an assload of plywood silouhette target backings on stands as well, if needed. not sure if i'll be able to come, though- all depends if i can get our current job finished up or not.

so unfortunately, don't count on me just yet.. but i'll try

bkb0000
11-09-09, 23:06
i will not be able to attend... have to work. we're about a week behind schedule. hopefully you can still get some of these lackies to show!

Fontaine
11-10-09, 16:01
Is this still happening?

If so, i'll be leaving Seattle at 5:30 AM to see you guys at 8:30, haha. I'll be by my lonesome.

Was at Douglas Ridge for Magpul 1 not so long ago.

USAFR
11-10-09, 16:09
I will be at DR on the 14thm rain or snow, it looks like at leatst 4 or 5 so far, but you cant tell what might show up.

let me know if I can do anything.

Be safe.

RobL

Titleist
11-10-09, 16:11
I'll try to be there along with Dutchy.

Fontaine
11-10-09, 16:12
I will be at DR on the 14thm rain or snow, it looks like at leatst 4 or 5 so far, but you cant tell what might show up.

let me know if I can do anything.

Be safe.

RobL

Excellent.

Looks like I'll be packing my bags and mags on Friday night instead of drinking.

Is there anything I should bring, such as a money for range fees?

Titleist
11-10-09, 21:51
Is there anything I should bring, such as a money for range fees?

I'd like to know this as well. And I can confirm that Dutchy and I will be there. I need to do a 50yd zero on my rifle before we go full tilt in to training. I'm a little low on ammo so I'll take photos when I'm not shooting, to help split the difference.

Fontaine
11-11-09, 15:01
Forgot to ask, what shall be done about targets?

Should we chip in and buy from a bulk supplier?

I wouldn't know where to get targets, but of course, would be more than happy to help pay for them.

USAFR
11-12-09, 10:48
What to bring?

We will be on the 100-200 yrd range no problem checking on Zero, I have to do the ssame thing, new 512 EO. That might be a good way to get warmed up and get the blood moving, its supposed to be in the mid 40's, and wet, we have overhead back cover so it should not ne to bad.

Targets: I have some printed up from an on line sight, all head shot stuff. I'll bring a big rool of brown paper and some markers and we can make up what we want and use the heads for the good stuff.

More as it comes up

RobL

Jay Cunningham
11-13-09, 10:43
Make sure to post an update after your shoot!

USAFR
11-13-09, 10:43
Four of us, I have not heard form one of my guys so I guess he wants to be warm and dry, O well.

See ya tomorrow, cool and wet.

Be safe.

RobL

Titleist
11-13-09, 21:19
Make sure to post an update after your shoot!

I'll have pictures up tomorrow as well.

Dutchy556
11-13-09, 23:13
I'm a little late to the game but just verifying that I will indeed be there. See ya'll in the mornin'.

Titleist
11-15-09, 10:01
Photos from yesterday, ahoy! :D

Just a few of my favorites (more here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8396760@N02/sets/72157622805709870/ )

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2694/4104518423_cd36878872_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2601/4104519439_254e3ba747_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2720/4104514743_cfd2c2b0cb_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2595/4104514057_0eceaf09c0_b.jpg

USAFR
11-16-09, 18:29
Nov 14 shoot.

It was almost to good to be true, I mean mid-November, in Oregon, and NO rain or snow, and a really great day to be outside.. Wow the gods were kind on Saterday.

We ended up with the four of us, we started out with a little pistol, and spent alot, I mean alot of time getting the guns zeroed, red dot blinking aside, what a way to spend a Saterday.

Between going the knee, and prone I came away a little sore, but my S&W 15 just ran and ran however I held it.

We were talking about getting together again in Janaury. should be real wet by then..

I looks like everyone made it home ok, so all is good.

Be safe.

RobL:cool:

Titleist
11-16-09, 18:56
I think it went off quite well, I think next time we should do it at the Pit, that way we can have flat gravel bays and really do more shoot and move stuff. I think we all started having fun running relays.

Thanks again, Rob

bkb0000
11-17-09, 01:07
let's hear about it! what'd y'all do? how'd the day progress?

Titleist
11-17-09, 10:44
We mainly started off with some pistol relays, working around obstacles, working the urban prone and kneeling. Then we worked on some basic pistol skills to warm up.

Then unfortunately we went to zero our rifles, and that turned in to a 2 hour affair. I think Roy was the only one who had a solid zero on his rifle. My SR-15 had just been re-barreled, Piet's optic was a mess, and Rob was zeroing a new EOtech.

We also had some fun with my Benelli M4 for about a half an hour.

I'd say the fun really started when we started doing lateral shoot and move exercises. An example of this was that we set up 4 target stands, between 25-40 yds. You started right of the far right target, you took that first target standing, moved left and took that target kneeling, then moved left again and took that standing, then left again and took that prone.

So you have to hustle and still get your hits.

Everyone had fun and the weather treated us well. Now I would say that our next get-together should probably be at the English Pit because we'll want a private, flat, and flexible location for shooting. It sounds like we can rent one of their big LE rifle bays for a decent cost if we all chip in. Where I think that's important is that we need to be able to do more than lateral shooting, and need to be able to do off-line of attack stuff, box drills, and move and shoot hammer drills.

All in all, I think we all had fun, the weather was great to boot!

Titleist
11-17-09, 13:26
I believe the bays at the Pit can hold 8-10 shooters no problem. Rob it sounded like you had a contact there, let us know what the daily rental would be.

But I agree, having it to ourselves would be great and could let us try out some of the more advanced techniques.

Fontaine
11-17-09, 13:31
Everyone had fun and the weather treated us well. Now I would say that our next get-together should probably be at the English Pit because we'll want a private, flat, and flexible location for shooting. It sounds like we can rent one of their big LE rifle bays for a decent cost if we all chip in. Where I think that's important is that we need to be able to do more than lateral shooting, and need to be able to do off-line of attack stuff, box drills, and move and shoot hammer drills.

All in all, I think we all had fun, the weather was great to boot!

You can rent bays at places?

I'd definitely be down!

The good weather was a mixed blessing. It was nice to be somewhat warm and very dry. However, this meant that we never had the place completely to ourselves, and could only do lateral movement.

For our next training session, let's bust out the good old "Green Eyes Black Rifles" and try out some drills as taught by Kyle Lamb

http://www.youtube.com/user/VikingTactics

noops
11-17-09, 19:34
Damn,

Wish I'd seen this. If someone wants to setup another, I'll be there. I JUST found this thread, and it's only 90 miles away. Also, If anyone wants to do this down Corvallis way, I'll setup and get it hosted at ARPC.

BrianS
11-17-09, 21:23
You can rent bays at places?

For our next training session, let's bust out the good old "Green Eyes Black Rifles" and try out some drills as taught by Kyle Lamb

As long as we use your car.

:p

Titleist
11-17-09, 21:44
noops, see about if we can get a bay down at ARPC for part of a day. We want to be able to move 360 degrees while being safe of course. But essentially if we can run it with big boy rules we're solid.

USAFR, how much would bays at the pit run us?

noops
11-17-09, 22:00
Titleist: will do. I'll email them tomorrow.

Jay Cunningham
11-19-09, 06:10
Great stuff guys.

BrianS
11-21-09, 02:29
Any chance of setting up something N of Portland? I would like to come out, but wouldn't want to have to get up at 4 in the morning or something to do it.

I suppose no SBRs is a bummer for the Oregon guys though.

USAFR
11-24-09, 12:48
You mean to tell me ther is life as we know it north of the Columbia River? Now i remember, Vancouver B.C. dont think i can get across the boarder with my stiff.

But to answer your question WHY NOT, I know of a range south of Tacoma I have attended a training at but thats it as to what I know about ranges up there.

I looking into using the Pit in Vancouver, USA, if you can hook up up with an area north of that far out.

I guess I shopuld ask how far North.

Training tip of the day, find the time to dry fire, both rifle AND pistol together like you would at "a Training", go to you knee, go the both knees, do a prone. Get some snap caps, if you can get an airsoft in the same brand as your "training gun". I have found a glock mod 19/23 size that works with my gear. if ya have a basement, or what ever set up a couple of targets and train on your own.

Looking forward to the next time.

RobL

Selftest
12-22-09, 19:41
Sucks that we are all so super spread out... Keeping the ranges in Oregon is a good idea, strictly for the SBR option (I live 4 1/2 hrs from Portland, in Bellingham, and still believe this to be true)

I don't see myself attending anytime soon, as I work graveyards on weekends. If ANY of you WAtizens want to come up north, we have a pretty nice gravel pit up here, easily found and driven to. Also, a bona fide gun shop about a mile from the pit.

Question: Who makes the black jacket with the velcro squares on the arms. Same for that olive fleece... Looking for a lightweight "shooting" jacket, and those look to be the ticket.

Selftest
12-22-09, 19:42
One quick search shows a Condor jacket that looks like the olive fleece in the pics. I really should google-fu before I post-fu.

noops
12-22-09, 20:13
Jacket looks like a TAD gear Stealth. They are great.

Jason

Fontaine
12-23-09, 15:24
TAD gear is great, but spendy.

They usually have stuff on sale in the spring/early summer as they revise their gear and make new versions. That's when i've acquired my TAD stuff.

Titleist
12-23-09, 15:29
That is a TAD Stealth jacket, mine's the AAC embroidered version. i.e with the "FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY" on the hood and stuff like that.