PDA

View Full Version : J&T Distributing barrels, any good?

armakraut
11-05-09, 13:27
I was looking at grabbing a 14.5 CL LW barrel from J&T to put on a spare A1 receiver I've got for an izzy build, just wondering if anyone had any experience with them. 4140 vs 4150 steel doesn't matter too much on this build, but I'd like to get something chrome lined with a 5.56 chamber.

http://jtdistributing.net/store/more_ar605cl.html

M4arc
11-05-09, 13:56
I wouldn't put then on the same level as a Colt, BCM, Noveske or LMT barrel but they're fine for most applications and uses. IIRC J&T (Doublestar) used to use Shaw barrels so they're not bad barrels. I had one years ago, back in the ban days, on a build and it was a nice shooting gun and I had no complaints.

vaglocker
11-05-09, 14:02
FWIW, i had a J&T upper for a few years and was happy with the accuracy. It was a 1-9 twist but still shot the heavier stuff pretty well.

armakraut
11-05-09, 14:16
Cool, sounds good enough to put on a low-use upper.

C4IGrant
11-05-09, 14:58
I was looking at grabbing a 14.5 CL LW barrel from J&T to put on a spare A1 receiver I've got for an izzy build, just wondering if anyone had any experience with them. 4140 vs 4150 steel doesn't matter too much on this build, but I'd like to get something chrome lined with a 5.56 chamber.

http://jtdistributing.net/store/more_ar605cl.html

I guess it depends on what the defintion of "good" is.

C4

Kentucky Cop
11-05-09, 15:52
I know this will make some on here cringe, but...., our Emergency Response Unit uses mostly Double Star rifles and won several SWAT competitions with them. The guys seem to really like them. And yes, they do have a high round count from weekly practices.

I think STAR 15 gives the team a ton of perks due to the factory being one county away. Didn't really answer your barrel question but I hope this helps you make a decision.
Ky Cop

C4IGrant
11-05-09, 16:06
I know this will make some on here cringe, but...., our Emergency Response Unit uses mostly Double Star rifles and won several SWAT competitions with them. The guys seem to really like them. And yes, they do have a high round count from weekly practices.

I think STAR 15 gives the team a ton of perks due to the factory being one county away. Didn't really answer your barrel question but I hope this helps you make a decision.
Ky Cop

This is no shocker as they are in KY and most likely got the guns at cost (or free).

J&T/Double Star are just fine I think, but do not compare to Colt, BCM, Noveske.

C4

armakraut
11-05-09, 16:32
For a retro build good = shoots nice on saturday when properly oiled and can hit a refrigerator at 75 paces at least 3 of every 4 rounds.

Kentucky Cop
11-05-09, 16:51
This is no shocker as they are in KY and most likely got the guns at cost (or free).

J&T/Double Star are just fine I think, but do not compare to Colt, BCM, Noveske.

C4

I totally agree.....:)

armakraut
11-05-09, 16:57
Grant,

Do you think the colt gods will deem us worthy of stripped 14.5 lightweight 1/7 barrels anytime soon?