PDA

View Full Version : Cotter Pin?

Shihan
03-03-07, 03:50
What do you guys think of the updated cotter pin design? I forget who makes it but was wondering if its worth 8bucks?

Thanks

Robb Jensen
03-03-07, 04:40
The 'updated' solid pins are just actually like the really early design. Stay with the standard cotter pin type, they hold up well.

C4IGrant
03-03-07, 07:56
What do you guys think of the updated cotter pin design? I forget who makes it but was wondering if its worth 8bucks?

Thanks

Are you talking about the KNS Perma Pin? They go back to the early days of firing pin, retaining pins.

I personally like them a lot. The reason is that they are made out of better materials (stronger). I have broken and bent a lof standard pins and have not been able to do so with these.

C4

http://knsprecisioninc.com/Images/Gun%20Parts/Perma-Pin%20Firing%20Pin%20Retainer.jpg

Shihan
03-05-07, 16:31
Yup thats the one, Grant are you selling them?

C4IGrant
03-06-07, 11:53
Yup thats the one, Grant are you selling them?

Yes I am. http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=KNSP

C4

Dave L.
03-07-09, 06:27
Grant (or anyone else),

Do you still like and use the KNS Perma Pin? I'm using it one of my 6920's but I have only shot about 200 rounds with that AR in the last year.

Eric
03-07-09, 09:29
For me, the standard FPRP 5 pack/$2.24 at Brownell's works fine.

Shihan
03-07-09, 16:38
Grant (or anyone else),

Do you still like and use the KNS Perma Pin? I'm using it one of my 6920's but I have only shot about 200 rounds with that AR in the last year.

Hey Dave I used one in one of my builds but the sucker was not very tight after awhile like the standard pin and would fall out of the carrier so I X'd it.

bkb0000
03-07-09, 16:46
Hey Dave I used one in one of my builds but the sucker was not very tight after awhile like the standard pin and would fall out of the carrier so I X'd it.

thats actually the first thing that came to mind when i saw the pic- that it wouldn't stay put for too long. that big ass head is just bound to rub all over the inside of the receiver

Disciple
03-16-09, 17:17

I cannot find that item. Would you provide a link?

kal
03-16-09, 17:42
I have broken and bent a lof standard pins and have not been able to do so with these.

On purpose with your hands or through wear and tear in a rifle?

Eric
03-17-09, 02:28
I cannot find that item. Would you provide a link?
brownells.com Item # 989-015-014...but it shows as out of stock.
# 231-000-073 is a single FPRP showing in stock for $1.43.
#430-000-452 also a single FPRP for $1.13 showing in stock.

KingsideRook
03-17-09, 02:47
Are you talking about the KNS Perma Pin? They go back to the early days of firing pin, retaining pins.

I personally like them a lot. The reason is that they are made out of better materials (stronger). I have broken and bent a lof standard pins and have not been able to do so with these.

C4

http://knsprecisioninc.com/Images/Gun%20Parts/Perma-Pin%20Firing%20Pin%20Retainer.jpg

These are worth every penny. I have not broken a standard FP retaining Pin personally, but I have replaced enough broken ones in other people's bolt carriers to know that the KNS is cheap, nigh-unbreakable insurance against a tied-up bolt carrier. I have them in all my carbines.

Also, you will never struggle to bend (without tools) the two ends of a standard pin back into shape just that last tiny bit, enough to slide back in again easily. That alone, for me, was worth $9 or so.

OldNavyGuy
03-17-09, 10:10

C4

what is the price of these ?what would two dozen cost me ?

Dave L.
03-17-09, 15:14
ONG,

I believe they are right around the $8 mark.

Shihan
03-17-09, 19:23
These are worth every penny. I have not broken a standard FP retaining Pin personally, but I have replaced enough broken ones in other people's bolt carriers to know that the KNS is cheap, nigh-unbreakable insurance against a tied-up bolt carrier. I have them in all my carbines.

Also, you will never struggle to bend (without tools) the two ends of a standard pin back into shape just that last tiny bit, enough to slide back in again easily. That alone, for me, was worth $9 or so.

I replace the standard pin when I rebuild the bolt at 3k and again when I replace the bolt itself on a fighting gun at 5k.

Disciple
03-17-09, 19:49
brownells.com Item # 989-015-014...but it shows as out of stock.
# 231-000-073 is a single FPRP showing in stock for $1.43.
#430-000-452 also a single FPRP for $1.13 showing in stock.

Thank you. Am I alone in finding brownells.com difficult to navigate?

Eric
03-17-09, 19:58
Am I alone in finding brownells.com difficult to navigate? Nope. The search function isn't the most user friendly. I usually end up thumbing through the catalog to find what I need and enter item numbers in the search box to add items to my cart.

carbinero
03-17-09, 20:02
Grant, I checked the link and it's not there...

bullseye
03-18-09, 19:46
not to start a shit-storm from fan-boys,,but,,, i have two daniel defense uppers---- you EVER pull the retainer on one of them bad-boys---you'd best have a replacement pin to get it back up. the first i wondered what i did wrong--- the second i thought i was seeing a pattern here.. i figured they got them from some little brown guys in mud huts,,,, replaced them with B//M's that would go right back in, have since re-ordered some more to have on hand from G&R. the bottom line to me is that if you get a D.D. fifle [or upper],,, get some spare firing pin retaining pins. mud-hut shit from the factory.

Cagemonkey
03-18-09, 20:17
I replaced all the standard firing pin retaining pins in my rifles with the KNS perma pins after experiencing a major malfunction due to a broken cotter type retaining pin. The pin broke and the small broken end worked its way out and bound my bolt carrier in the upper receiver of my LWRC M6A2.

Shihan
03-18-09, 20:45
not to start a shit-storm from fan-boys,,but,,, i have two daniel defense uppers---- you EVER pull the retainer on one of them bad-boys---you'd best have a replacement pin to get it back up. the first i wondered what i did wrong--- the second i thought i was seeing a pattern here.. i figured they got them from some little brown guys in mud huts,,,, replaced them with B//M's that would go right back in, have since re-ordered some more to have on hand from G&R. the bottom line to me is that if you get a D.D. fifle [or upper],,, get some spare firing pin retaining pins. mud-hut shit from the factory.

They use a standard pin you just need to push down and have it sideways when putting in and then rotate vertical after its in.

Turnkey11
03-18-09, 23:11

Same here, my guns eat rings like nothing else, but Ive never had to replace a cotter pin for anything other than dropping it somewhere and not being able to find it again.