PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit cost

trojanman
11-05-09, 18:46
How much are you guys payin for your crossfit gym?

mjpsyr
11-06-09, 18:48
$120.00 for the first month, which includes fundamentals for the first two weeks. $80.00/month after that. Unlimited classes.

extsieg
11-10-09, 18:33
I spent $1500 on equipment that gets 85% of the CrossFit workouts done in my Garage. The only reason its no 100% is that I don't have the room for a GDH machine and a climbing rope. So the gym has already paid for it self in saved gym dues. I can walk out into the garage and knock out the WOD any time of day.

I would spend the money for a level one cert to gain the knowledge to self coach yourself. And use the money you save in gym fees for more ammo.:D
Sieg

extsieg
11-10-09, 18:55
Or you can just grab a kettle bell and head to the range.

Range WOD (http://siegrist.us/video/tristate.mov)

trojanman
11-13-09, 02:40
I have some stuff at home I just like the idea of an istructor other people to keep you going.

extsieg
11-13-09, 08:50
I have some stuff at home I just like the idea of an istructor other people to keep you going.
I hear ya man and you are right. Working out in a group is a vital component to the CF model. I did not know how important until I went to a Level 1 Cert in Ohio a few months back. That is one of the biggest lessons I learned there was that a group work out will motivate you to work harder and faster than a Garage work out in most cases. And by many accounts the fast track to quicker improvements.

Its the easiest thing in the world to take a few extra seconds of rest between a transition when your all alone in your Garage.

But in these tight times; gathering friends together to do the same thing in the garage may fit the bill as well.
If you have not got to a level 1 cert. It's money well spent if you plan on making CF a life time pursuit.

trojanman
11-13-09, 13:42
Ill look into that, thanks

four
11-18-09, 15:32
Or you can just grab a kettle bell and head to the range.

Range WOD (http://siegrist.us/video/tristate.mov)

doesn't that start to wear on your rotator cuffs after a while?

trojanman
11-18-09, 16:15
I started at a gym today. WOW not easy

extsieg
11-25-09, 21:24
I started at a gym today. WOW not easy

Congrats on your first sip of cool aid. 3,2,1 Go..

extsieg
11-25-09, 21:28
doesn't that start to wear on your rotator cuffs after a while?

The magic as it were behind a CF way of working out is that You are doing "Constantly Varied Functional Movements performed at High Intensity" A work out with a Kettlebell may come around once a month if that so you don't get the problems of over use injuries.

Cascades236
12-05-09, 01:53
$0

I use the work gym, it's generally always empty when I go in so I can impose my will on the weights unobstructed :)

crossgun
12-05-09, 06:01
Just joined Crossfit Legacy LLC. I have completed the Fundamentals class and am about to begin what I hope last the rest of my life. I agree that the attraction for me at this point is the group environment and the instructor/trainer relationship.

For me being 45 and over weight the fact that the program can be adjusted on all levels to match my current ability is worth the price of admission. I would almost have to say that the classes remind me in a way of what I get from attending a pistol/carbine school if that makes any sense. A lot of the motivation and support comes from the group of individuals in attendance. There is no way that I would push myself in the garage this hard so I would never realize the amount of Work I am capable of ever doing.

Today I will be a spectator in the WOD as Crossfit Legacy is having a "Project Lumberjack Fundraiser" to support the troops at Ft. Hood. It is my understanding that members of Crossfit Lumberjack suffered casualties and losses as a result of the Ft. Hood shooting.

I think I am coming to the understanding that Crossfit is about more than a great workout and the individuals involved are very special people whom I am proud to associate with.

Monthly cost vary depending on the number of visits for me is $90-$125.

http://crossfitlegacy.com/

gfunx2000
12-05-09, 08:48
I just paid about $250 for the first month with the foundations course. After that its around $150/month. Its a lot of money in my opinion and I resisted it for a long time, but I finally decided I wasn't going to get as good on my own and realized that my fitness is well worth the cost. I initially planned on taking it for just a while until I learnt the moves better, then switching back to using a free work gym - but I'm finding that the environment of working with a group and the increased demands I put on myself there may keep me going back long term.

trojanman
12-05-09, 19:59
My gym is also 150.00 but they give a 50.00 discount for LEO, 33% off is pretty good in my eyes.

GreglFaggins
12-08-09, 17:39
Can someone explain what crossfit is and why it is superior to just doing regular weight lifting and cardio? I've seen some of the crossfit websites and all of their explainations look more like mission statements, which really mean nothing. Some of the workouts I've seen on those sites honestly don't look like much, but there must be something to it because if I've heard of it in the rock I live under it must be getting big.

SethB
12-08-09, 18:14
Can someone explain what crossfit is and why it is superior to just doing regular weight lifting and cardio? I've seen some of the crossfit websites and all of their explainations look more like mission statements, which really mean nothing. Some of the workouts I've seen on those sites honestly don't look like much, but there must be something to it because if I've heard of it in the rock I live under it must be getting big.

Do it without any breaks against a clock...

trojanman
12-08-09, 19:24
There are several things that for me make crosstit good. First it is coached and in a class so you are competing even if you dont think you are. As far as the workouts themselves it is intense and fast. The workout I did today was twenty some minutes and I could hardly breathe at the end. I have done the weight thing and ran plenty but this is something more. Not sure if I answered the question for you but if you would like to know anything else Ill try to help. Also not sure about all gyms but mine does free evalls on thursday to test were you are and give you a very small taste of crossfit. Try it you may like it

milosz
12-09-09, 00:11

Crossfit isn't anything particularly special as a concept - cross training. Glassman/CF hasn't come up with any new techniques in particular, just named them and introduced an element of competitiveness within a class structure.

A lot of the ideas are good, but you'll find them elsewhere - Tabata-ing moves is widely known, Olympic lifting has something of a resurgence, kettlebells are popular, etc.. The WODs themselves are rather haphazard as posted on the main site - some good variations exist (Crossfit Strength, Crossfit Football) that are more goal oriented.

I appreciate the idea behind mixing up physical activities, keeping things fresh and not limiting everything to lifting barbells and running, but people like Ross Enamait are doing it better than Crossfit in general, IMO.

There are also some issues within the Crossfit community - you can open a facility under the CF name after attending one certification (one or two days) for a thousand bucks. No real proficiency in training methods or personal training need be demonstrated. A lot of people are starting to push back against the Zone nonsense CF officially endorses. In the last year or so, they've lost the input and work of Mark Rippetoe (a great strength coach, wrote Starting Strength/Practical Programming) and just lost Robb Wolf (coach, their former nutrition seminar guy, Paleo diet advocate).

milosz
12-09-09, 00:13
Also in the good column for a lot of people is the group atmosphere. Personally I'd rather work alone, so I may not understand a big chunk of the Crossfit appeal.

nismo1013
01-07-10, 18:07
My local CrossFit gym is $180 for the first "5-week bootcamp," and $150 each month afterwards.

Personally, I like the intensity of the program, and it's true that I could get that same intensity out of a workout by myself, but it's nice to have someone there to call me out when I'm slacking.

ras61541
01-24-10, 10:09
$0.00 I can do a vast majority of the WODs in my backyard with a pullup bar and a 300# weight set.

jpipes
01-26-10, 14:31
I paid $102 for 8 workouts to make sure that it was what I wanted to do. turns out that I really like it, and paid $1500 for the year. Worth every penny.

http://www.atomiccrossfit.com/

ZDL
01-26-10, 19:42

northinlet
01-27-10, 03:07
With a LE discount, about $35/month... hurts everytime :p