PDA

View Full Version : Two new Colt 1911s

cathellsk
11-06-09, 01:12
I haven't had a 1911 in awhile and it was getting to me. I grew up on the things but got tired of 'em and drifted away but nostalgia more than anything drew me back in the fold. Picked up these two in a two week frame recently. The top is a new production S70 and the bottom is a TALO exclusive http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/141/products_id/411538119

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/001155.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/003135.JPG

I plan on only lightly modding the S70, sights and carry bevel, want to keep it retro.
The TALO I'm thinking of sending to COLT for their Model O Package. (Beavertail, set of Novaks, carry bevel, refinish) but I'll be adding some other stuff too.

They both shoot like a dream bone stock, just bite alittle. They are some of the most accurate 1911s I've ever shot and no issues with either in about 300rds. each. I know, not much, but I just got them and .45 ammo is still hard to find in this area. Only thing I've done is play dress up with some different stocks.

maximus83
11-06-09, 02:41
Good buys, congrats on your purchase, and on rejoining the ranks of 1911 owners.

d90king
11-06-09, 07:36
Congrats! The Series 70 Repro would make a great base gun to build on. I have one down at John Harrisons for some work. I am hopeful that I will have my side squared away in short order and see it completed in the next few months.:D

bgoode
11-06-09, 08:24
Nice!!!! I am TRYING to stay away from 1911's. I do enjoy my TRS however :)

loupav
11-06-09, 10:01
Great looking guns there.

DacoRoman
11-06-09, 19:40
Those are some nice pistols, congratulations.

I'd love to have a series 70 reissue..then the dilemma would be whether to send for customizing or not :o

Will you send it to anyone for the custom treatment or not?

cathellsk
11-07-09, 00:55
Those are some nice pistols, congratulations.

I'd love to have a series 70 reissue..then the dilemma would be whether to send for customizing or not :o

Will you send it to anyone for the custom treatment or not?

Thats what I always ran into in the past. Never had the patience to wait for one to get worked on. My brother had a Springer worked on by Yost before they opened their latest shop. It is nice.

I'd like to keep the S70 simple, thinking of a carry bevel (thanks Colt....for the razor sharp edges!) and a better sight set up. Thinking a dovetailed front night sight and a retro style rear sight and also keeping the factory style blue finish. I want it to "look" mostly stock.

The TALO I was going to go for the beavertail, hammer, trigger, sights, etc. just your basic custom job, nothing too fancy. Probably a park job for the finish too.

frbowers
11-07-09, 01:51
Nice looking 1911s. I recently picked up a nice original series 70 Colt that will be headed to Jim Garthwaite later this month for a full house build. Now I may need to pick up TALO special edition for a retro build.

Hersh
11-07-09, 19:46
Nice Colts! They're great for builds or "as is."

DacoRoman
11-07-09, 22:35
Thats what I always ran into in the past. Never had the patience to wait for one to get worked on. My brother had a Springer worked on by Yost before they opened their latest shop. It is nice.

I'd like to keep the S70 simple, thinking of a carry bevel (thanks Colt....for the razor sharp edges!) and a better sight set up. Thinking a dovetailed front night sight and a retro style rear sight and also keeping the factory style blue finish. I want it to "look" mostly stock.

The TALO I was going to go for the beavertail, hammer, trigger, sights, etc. just your basic custom job, nothing too fancy. Probably a park job for the finish too.

That sounds like a good plan. But are you going to parkerize the TALO? The Glock TALO's I've seen look pretty hideous, but I actually like that TALO finish on the 1911 :cool:

rrpederson
11-07-09, 22:55
nice set of pistols you got there.

Mark71
11-08-09, 03:13
Congrats on the new gun. I am really liking the looks of that TALO Colt.

cathellsk
11-08-09, 12:31
That sounds like a good plan. But are you going to parkerize the TALO? The Glock TALO's I've seen look pretty hideous, but I actually like that TALO finish on the 1911 :cool:

Still up in the air, the finish is the same as the new S70s. And I agree that it is nice. Thats why I want to send them to the Colt Custom Shop, as I've heard good things about their work plus they will be able to refinish them the same as they are now.

cathellsk
11-09-09, 10:34
Trying out some different grips.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/002153.JPG

BBossman
11-10-09, 18:40
I just ordered the same two pistols from Bud's... weird.

cathellsk
11-10-09, 23:55
I just ordered the same two pistols from
Bud's... weird.

That TALO was the longest transaction I've ever experienced. They took
damn near two weeks to ship that to me. First they charge you 3% for
using a bank card, tax for being a KY resident. The company is based in
KY but the gun came from the "warehouse" which is in MS or AL or LA I
believe (can't remember for sure). They told me they have to ship the
gun to the shipping warehouse. What? Then when it finally shipped it was
shown coming from Lexington and took 1 day to get here because I live in
E.KY.

But anyway, it was worth it, you won't be sorry. It is a very nice
pistol. The finish is identical on both. I like the lack of rollmarks on
the right side of the slide on the TALO and the simple ones on the left.
The parts makeup of the gun confuse me though. It has a S70 frame, thumb
safety, trigger, barrel, and finish. A WWI repro slide release, hammer,
grip safety, and sights.