PDA

View Full Version : Commercial VS L.E. Smiths?

Kentucky Cop
11-06-09, 12:58
Well folks, I had to do it. No matter how much I tried I just couldn't warm up to my Colt 6940. I hated the front "flip" up sight. The rear Matech sight was, well for better words just not for me. The rail just felt, well.....different. My range master felt the same way. Per policy, the front sight has to be able to lock in when up for obvious reasons. The rear lollipop sight felt super flimsy when up and both of us were afraid of it bending if it took a hard hit. Yes, for some more money I could have fixed some of the sights but couldn't do it. So, I sold it for exactly what I bought it for. :D Don't worry, I have my 6920 still and love it.
On to my question, I ordered a M&P 15T and it will be a few weeks to get in. My gun guy steered me away from the "commercial" M&P claiming that I would want a LE rifle. He said that the LE guns are far different then the commercials. He claimed that the bolts were different along with several other parts and there were far more quality control checks for the LE models also. Is this true and can anyone explain to me whats the difference?:confused:

Ky Cop

cathellsk
11-06-09, 19:12
All I can tell you is Pat Rogers states this all the time about the LEO Smiths. But I've never seen "why" they are better, just statements that they are. I've heard they are available with 1/7 rifling twist too. I don't even know where you can order one. You've obviously found someone who can get you one and thats good. Good luck with it. :)

Kentucky Cop
11-06-09, 22:37
All I can tell you is Pat Rogers states this all the time about the LEO Smiths. But I've never seen "why" they are better, just statements that they are. I've heard they are available with 1/7 rifling twist too. I don't even know where you can order one. You've obviously found someone who can get you one and thats good. Good luck with it. :)

Well, I am thinking about pulling my order which is simply verbal right now. I wonder if Grant knows how to get the 1/7 rifling Smiths? I feel better that my gun guy wasnt blowing wind up my skirt. My guy just states that I should hold off and get the LE model instead of the commercial. I am sure that it won't have the 1/7 on it. I am really hoping Grant or someone else on here will know more about this. Thanks for your help! ;)
Ky Cop

johes
11-06-09, 22:53
No offense to anyone, as a very satisfied (until now) M&P owner, I sure hope this is wrong. :eek: Grant, all that stuff I've ordered from you the last couple of weeks, did I just put them on a "step down" model? I seriously don't know how a LE version could be better. Mine has been fine, mp bolt, m4 ramps, now has an H buffer. I did send it back to smith because of an unusually loose upper/lower fit, but all's well now.

kwelz
11-06-09, 23:33
Not sure about Smith but I know RRA has a separate LE line, or at least did when I was a distributor. They were what we consider better guns, Chrome lining, etc, etc.

perna
11-06-09, 23:58
I thought only the VTAC and the M&P4 models (full auto) were the only 1/7" twist?

rjacobs
11-06-09, 23:59
I doubt there is a difference. If you check on the SW website on both the commercial and LE side, the SKU#'s are the same for all the various models of guns. To me that says they are exactly the same from the commercial to the LE side. If they were different there would be different SKU numbers.

justin_247
11-07-09, 09:46
I remember reading a thread from here a while back about a person who purchased an M&P15 and had issues with the upper receiver (I think it had inconsistencies with the feed ramps, but I don't remember the exact discrepancy). He mailed it back to S&W and they returned it a short while later with a brand new upper... except instead of having a barrel with a 1/9 twist, it was 1/7.

I'm sure S&W is only a short while away from upgrading their line so they can compete with other Tier 1 manufacturers, and maybe this is an indication of this. Is this just the start, or an anomaly? The fact that your friend mentions a special LE model, that nobody seems to be able to confirm actually exists, tells me that something is up.

Kentucky Cop
11-07-09, 10:57
My guy never really said that it was a "special' LE model. It just left me with the impressions that the LE models were a better built rifle compared to the commercial citing better bolts and quality checks etc etc. I would love to get a 15T with a 1/7 rifling twist (who wouldn't). It seems that Travis Haley of the Magpul Team thinks highly of the 15Ts and frequently comment on them along with Pat Rogers on the other forums.
Sorry if I stirred the pot with some folks, but, I am curious if any of the above posts are true and would love to hear from a Smith rep or dealer such as Grant. :confused:
Ky Cop

johes
11-07-09, 12:06
If there are some models with 1:7 barrels, I wonder if they are also 4150 mil spec steel instead of 4140?

firecop019
11-07-09, 14:34
When I went through the M&P Pistol armorer class there was only one line of rifles. The instructor was a retired trooper and he carried the T model you ordered. If there was a different line I'm sure he would've had it.

Kentucky Cop
11-07-09, 15:10
When I went through the M&P Pistol armorer class there was only one line of rifles. The instructor was a retired trooper and he carried the T model you ordered. If there was a different line I'm sure he would've had it.

Thanks firecop! I am sure that if someone could order a 1/7 twist that we would already have heard about it. My guy has a few T's along with several others on order currently and I advised him that I would be in for one when they came in. I am curious why Pat Rogers and my gun guy claimed that there was a difference in the two lines? Nonetheless, Smith has came a looong way in the past 2 years and has really stepped up their game. A few years ago you would never see pictures of instructors using M&P rifles and claiming they are good to go. Makes me smile...:D

Ky Cop

perna
11-07-09, 23:38
S&W LE/MIL models PDF (http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/SW_LE_Military_P1.pdf)

That shows all the models, like I said only the VTAC and the M&P4 (full auto) comes in 1/7" twist.

Kentucky Cop
11-08-09, 12:34
I wonder why you cant order lets say a 15T with one of the 1/7 twist rifles on it. It seems like a no brainer when S&W already have the barrels laying around for the full auto models. Hmmmm....:confused: