PDA

View Full Version : Active Shooter in Orlando Office

sandman99and9
11-06-09, 13:04
I just got home and all the news/radio is covering an active shooter in downtown Orlando. It went down in an office building dowtown and they have shut down I-4 that runs right by there. They have roadblocks everywhere and s.w.a.t. armored vehicle moving into the area. Traffic on I-4 is at a standstill at this point. Local news is reporting 8 people shot and 2 dead. No suspect in custody yet.

http://www.wesh.com/video/16128463/index.html

http://www.wesh.com/news/21541263/detail.html

S.M.

M4arc
11-06-09, 13:07
WTF is up with people? Damnit!

sandman99and9
11-06-09, 13:10
This shit the day after FT. Hood. The office floor it started on sounds like a law or maybe real estate office from the description. They have most of downtown and a local H.S { Edgewater } on lockdown. The gateway center building near lake Ivanho is where it happened. They have snipers up on the interstate glassing the area and they are sweeping a parking garage nearby right now.

S.M.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-06-09, 13:17
Why is the highway shut down? I've been been in Orlando, but I'm not familiar with it that well. I would think shutting down the highway and shunting all that traffic onto secondary roads would cause a lot of general traffic problems. Especially when they don't even know who they are looking for.

M4arc
11-06-09, 13:19
Recently shit canned from a job or a divorce gone bad?

sandman99and9
11-06-09, 13:20
I-4 runs right by the building. Some of the video from news helicopters shows it in the background. News 2 just had a lady from the building say it was an ex-employee then police hustled her away from the cameras saying not right now for interview. Traffic is gonna be a monumental mess today/tonight with I-4 shut down. Everyone drives that damn road through there.

S.M.

Safetyhit
11-06-09, 13:20
The news is so bad now days that just watching it, and really caring about it, on a daily basis can be bad for one's sense of well being. It just stings.

But then again two hundred years ago the story would have been about the family slaughtered by Indians or what not, so it's never going to be perfect. Still, that disturbing gang rape case coupled with these shootings has been a downer.

Then there is the boy who was set on fire by other boys over a bicycle...:(

IROCZ
11-06-09, 13:21
WTF is up with people? Damnit!

Just some people...

GO ORLANDO PD!

M4arc
11-06-09, 13:26
Former employee...I guess that answers that question.

Damnit, people are going freaking crazy these days.

Outlander Systems
11-06-09, 13:29
Former employee...I guess that answers that question.

Damnit, people are going freaking crazy these days.

My sentiments, exactly.

People need a serious attitude adjustment. As usual, I'm sure it was over something the rest of us would consider "petty".

My question is, what does this sort of thing ever accomplish.

I usually don't discuss religion, but, people nowadays need a serious Jesus injection.

Jay Cunningham
11-06-09, 13:29
Carry your CCW as often as you practically can. Attend formal training. Practice at the range. Keep your awareness high.

Do what you need to do when you need to do it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-06-09, 13:32
Since there are a lot of CCW people in FL, it will be interesting how that will complicate clearing the buildings, since there are potentially a lot of 'gun men' around.

Outlander Systems
11-06-09, 13:33
Carry your CCW as often as you practically can. Attend formal training. Practice at the range. Keep your awareness high.

If someone feels as though they have a "right" to take your life, you should have the right to defend it.

When will people realise by having "gun-free" zones, we will have lambs for the slaughter, by any wack-job who preys on the innocent and defenseless?

Either we need a cop on every corner, or we need Uncle Sugar to quit babying us.

These active shooter situations are getting out of hand. It's easy to prey on unarmed targets, and until that changes, I don't believe these situations will decline in frequency.

Anyone have a "cool" employer that lets you carry on-site?

M4arc
11-06-09, 13:33
Since there are a lot of CCW people in FL, it will be interesting how that will complicate clearing the buildings, since there are potentially a lot of 'gun men' around.

I would guess not many will carry at work since it would mean termination. However, it does raise the question of should employers allow CCW at work?

Palmguy
11-06-09, 13:35
I-4 runs right by the building. Some of the video from news helicopters shows it in the background. News 2 just had a lady from the building say it was an ex-employee then police hustled her away from the cameras saying not right now for interview. Traffic is gonna be a monumental mess today/tonight with I-4 shut down. Everyone drives that damn road through there.

S.M.

Even more of a CF than usual, I'm sure.

I would guess not many will carry at work since it would mean termination. However, it does raise the question of should employers allow CCW at work?

I agree. Even though we have perhaps a relatively high percentage of carry license holders, it's still just a small percentage of the population to begin with, and that number gets even smaller based on it being a workplace, etc. Should employers allow carry? I think so, but I'd bet they see events like that of today and that turns them off to the idea even more (which should be paradoxical). Employers like mine (large corporate .mil contractors) are never going to allow it, and they are not alone.

LOKNLOD
11-06-09, 13:35

Man.

What I wouldn't give to hear on the news that the shooter had been popped by a legal carrier before actually killing anyone.

Safetyhit
11-06-09, 13:36

Wish I could follow that advice here. Pretty sure I can carry a knife as long as it's not over 3" though. :rolleyes:

Stupid left leaning state.

M4arc
11-06-09, 13:40
ID'd the suspect. Douchebag!

CoryCop25
11-06-09, 13:42
Man.

What I wouldn't give to hear on the news that the shooter had been popped by a legal carrier before actually killing anyone.

Unfortunately, that in this day and age would not be news worthy. Good guys winning the fight won't capture attention, not enough drama.

HwyKnight
Not to be insensitive but...

Ever notice how these things come in waves? I wonder if the media wouldn't sensationalize these events would we have fewer of them? The local media should certainly report the event as normal. When the national media gets involved it makes these people 'Infamous'; in their mind they get to go out in a blaze of glory, just like the guy they saw on tv yesterday. :(

Palmguy
ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - Eight people have been shot, two of them fatally at an office building at 1000 Legion Place in dowtown Orlando. Police are looking for a suspect wearing a blue shirt and blue jeans. A witness tells FOX 35 the shooter is a former worker who was employed in the building.

Police have released a the suspect's name:

Jason Rodrigues

Born: 9-28-1969

Suspect's vehicle: Silver 2002 Nissan SUV.

License Plate: S11-9UX

The Orlando Fire Department said the victims were transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center.

The Orlando Police Department said they are still trying to secure various areas of the building and there are still people inside the building.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office SWAT team is searching the building looking for a suspect.

Building tenants:

Alternative Service Concepts LLC
Batts Morrison Wales & Lee
Engauge Communications
Hirschy Development
Jacobs Engineering Group Inc
Natures Table Cafe
Orlando Movers
R w Beck Inc
Reynolds Smith & Hills Inc
Servant Investments Management LLC
Shuffield & Lowman
Sunshine Network
SunSports
Tews Company Staffing

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/orange_news/110609-shooting

Outlander Systems
11-06-09, 13:44
I guess the question is that, if you live in a "free" state, would you rather be fired or fired upon?

M4arc
11-06-09, 13:45
Man I hope they take this a-hole down with no further injuries (except to him).

Outlander Systems
11-06-09, 13:47
Man I hope they take this a-hole down with no further injuries (except to him).

I'm tracking you.

WTF is wrong with people? If he's a former employee, I'm sure he was going to "show them", but all he's shown is what a gutless degenerate he is.

Irish
11-06-09, 13:50

My thoughts exactly, be prepared. My thoughts are with the families of the deceased.

I wonder if ZDL will chime in with any additional info, he lives in that general area of FL.

M4arc
11-06-09, 14:00
Did anyone hear some dude plug Howard Stern in the middle of the news cast?

That guy should have his ass beat.

M4arc
11-06-09, 14:09
Rodrigues was laid off.

Irish
11-06-09, 14:15
Rodrigues was laid off.

I don't understand this type of mentality. It's a bit different but I honestly think after yesterday we'll see alot more copy cat types of gun shootings. Not only that but it shows AQ and others how soft military bases can be and might give them new ideas on who and where to attack. Be vigilent.

M4arc
11-06-09, 14:19
I don't understand this type of mentality.

I think it's common in our society to deflect blame or believe others are at fault instead of taking responsibility. I suspect that since the economy is bad he was having trouble finding another job and I'm sure we'll hear that he's in trouble with his mortgage and other bills and that his marrage is suffering.

Eventually he just can't take any more and wants to get even with whom he sees is responsible for starting his downfall.

sandman99and9
11-06-09, 14:22
Did anyone hear some dude plug Howard Stern in the middle of the news cast?

That guy should have his ass beat.

Yeah, I heard that shit and laughed at that dumbass. All the radio/news are talking about the police walking around with " assault weapons " on the streets. I guess those are bad even in police hands. :rolleyes: Crap, now CNN is in on the story.

S.M.

sandman99and9
11-06-09, 14:34
Channel 9 news is reporting that S.W.A.T. just raided the shooters mothers apartment and he is in custody. Someone call death row up in Starke and keep a cell warmed up for him.

S.M.

Outlander Systems
11-06-09, 14:39
I don't understand this type of mentality. It's a bit different but I honestly think after yesterday we'll see alot more copy cat types of gun shootings. Not only that but it shows AQ and others how soft military bases can be and might give them new ideas on who and where to attack. Be vigilent.

I was put on a permanent 20-hour-a-week furlough.

I'm not pissed at my employer; they've done a lot for me. The situation sucks, but what can you do? Times are tough for everyone, so I don't want to hear this terrorist's pitty-pat, sad-times story.

The predator was inside all along. His attitude, and acceptance of his own responsibility to make the best out of what he had were negated for "I'll show them".

He could have turned his layoff into an opportunity to go on to bigger and better things.

I'm glad they took him alive. Now he can spend the rest of his life in a 6x9 with "Tiny".

Don't drop the soap there, J-Rod.

Outlander Systems
11-06-09, 14:50
"She confirmed witnesses told police the shooting started at Reynolds Smith & Hill, a transportation engineering consulting firm in the building.

Company spokesman Mike Bernof told CNN all the people shot were in the firm's office. He could not say if any died.

Rodriguez, an engineer, was released in June 2007 for performance issues, Bernof said. He could not say why. The firm performs transportation engineering work with the Florida Department of Transportation."

Wow. I work at a transportation engineering/consulting firm. The firm I work for performs transportation engineering work with the Georgia Department of Transportation.

Now it hits close to home. This dickwad was probably some over-payed P.E. who'd worked transpo for his whole ****in' career. I'd even imagine that they probably hired his under-performing ass from FDOT, and he drew a koosh salary to twiddle his ****in' thumbs "supervising" projects. They probably realised he wasn't worth two shits, and put him in for the first round of layoffs.

What a chode. He probably got out there and had to take a lesser salary to work where the gubment cheese wasn't steadily flowing (like site-design), and they probably expected results. No more taxpayer-funded infinite budgets, and no more thumb twiddlery. Poor JRod either had to get off his high horse and work for a living, or was too hoity toity to take a pay cut, and work for less money.

What a tumbling, tumbling dickweed.

M4arc
11-06-09, 15:10
I'm glad they took him alive. Now he can spend the rest of his life in a 6x9 with "Tiny".

The fine state of Florida is going to spend a shitload of money and resources on this guy for the next 10 years or so. That's all I'm going to say about that.

garbear
11-06-09, 15:18
Hell I have been laid off from 2 great jobs in less then 2 yrs and don't feel any animosity toward my former employers. Hell I been working on starting my own business; so I don't have to work for anyone but my customers. The wife is finishing her degree in nursing and she gets that done I wont have to work. Why can't people just see the bright side of getting let go and better them selves? I hope he gets the death sentence.

Palmguy
11-06-09, 15:53
The fine state of Florida is going to spend a shitload of money and resources on this guy for the next 10 years or so. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Well, you're correct, if possibly underestimating the duration. Perhaps the saga will end in Starke with a needle in the bastard's arm...too bad Old Sparky was retired.

ZDL
11-06-09, 15:58

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-06-09, 16:09
I've been off all week and buried in paperwork for my other career. Drudge is all I have at this point.

I didn't know hand model had so much paperwork?

Kind of odd that he was taken alive, that doesn't seem to happen very often. I think the press makes it look like these happen in strings because they are worried that they might miss a big story of multiple location shootings. If they didn't report this like they did, and it did end up being related to the TX shootings, they would have missed it. So they cover it to the hilt just in case. Just an idea. Plus, they had great images of the highway shut down to use.

sandman99and9
11-06-09, 16:10
Hey ZDL, what part of O-town are you from ?? I am on the west side of town. I drove right by the area this all went down a little earlier today.

S.M.

ZDL
11-06-09, 16:17

Caeser25
11-06-09, 18:11

I'm about to start regardless of what the "rules" are at work. In my state it's not illegal to disregard the rule but it differs from state to state.

SkiDevil
11-06-09, 18:40
Not to be insensitive but...

Ever notice how these things come in waves? I wonder if the media wouldn't sensationalize these events would we have fewer of them? The local media should certainly report the event as normal. When the national media gets involved it makes these people 'Infamous'; in their mind they get to go out in a blaze of glory, just like the guy they saw on tv yesterday. :(

Yes Sir, I believe that you are correct. When I was in college I completed a research project on the school shootings that were occurring for a period of time all around the Nation. One of the common denominators was that many of these people were after attention and often characterized as being inspired or admiring others who committed such similar crimes. These inferences were drawn-out in many cases via writings discovered afterward or through information provided by associates (friends, co-workers, fellow students, etc.) or even their own family.

Is the media responsible? Difficult to say with absolute certainty, but it may certainly be reasoned that they share in the culpability to some point. Why the general public continues to be fascinated with the suffering of others or the tragedies that befall some I will never comprehend.

It would seem that the media is providing what their constituency is demanding. Their public television (internet/ radio) audience demonstrate this demand in the high ratings such broadcasts produce when some form of violence or tragedy is depicted.

I certainly believe that this particular tragedy of the U.S. servicemen being gunned down by a lone homicidal man is inexcusable and deplorable.

Then we have the subsequent shooting of the workers in Florida. Is there any relationship or causation between the two? Or is it a mere co-incidence. Although it could be a simple co-incidence, I believe that it is the 'monkey see, monkey do' mentality that many seem to possess. Just like a great many people are referred to as the "SHEEP" in society by following along with the herd. It would seem that these demented individuals would carry-out these type of crimes against the weak, helpless, or in this case the unarmed. Because of this copycat mentality.

Ultimately, I firmly believe that the media is exacerbating the problem with their round the clock coverage of these types of shooting incidents. But what should we expect from an organization that only concerns itself with generating enormous profit and capitalizing on the suffering of those unfortunate persons who tragedy befalls.

Lastly, I will say that working in the public sector I have seen many despicable acts, some illegal and some not. But certainly one of the worst was observing the vile act of reporters antagonizing and upsetting the family of a child lost in a tragic accident. The media and many of their reporters are the worst leeches in our society. They will sink to lower and lower depths to do the bidding of corporate America.

God speed to those who lost their lives in these tragic events. And condolences to their families. Let us pray for those who still struggle to live through the event and survive their injuries. Particularly, for the brave Police Officers who stopped the madman in Texas.

Regards,
SkiDevil

Alpha Sierra
11-06-09, 18:46
In my state it's not illegal to disregard the rule but it differs from state to state.
Even if it were, the consequences of being in the wrong place at the wrong time without firepower will definitely be more serious.

Just saying.......

RogerinTPA
11-06-09, 19:09
In FL, it is up to the individual business to decide whether it will allow CCW privileges on the property, inside the business/building itself. We recently passed a bill to allow firearms on the property, as long as it's secured inside the vehicle, which some business owners previously didn't allow. If the owner of the business decides not to allow firearms inside the building, then you are not allowed, unless you are willing to risk your job.

condition 1
11-06-09, 19:55

I drive a company truck to work, No Firearms Allowed at work or in company trucks, I get called at all hours of the day/night, I have to go to the industrial east side of San Antonio, (not a good place during the day) Know one knows if I am carrying at 3:00 A.M. My way of thinking is, I would rather be alive and unemployed, than dead and unemployed, If I had to use a gun.

Safetyhit
11-06-09, 19:57
Two years after being let go, in the midst of a recession, he says "They left me to rot". Obviously a mental case.

cschwanz
11-06-09, 20:04
seriously, what the hell is wrong with people?

alaskacop
11-06-09, 20:39
seriously, what the hell is wrong with people?

I suspect the problem is going to get much worse as this economy slides and people get laid off or reductions in pay.

As the saying goes, everyman has his breaking point. I am in no way rationalizing what was done here, or in any active shooter situation but history has shown that tough times mean higher crime rates and people becoming more and more frustrated then snapping.

We had an active shooter near me several months ago that echoed what just happened in Orlando. Hospital staff member in terminated, came back the next day and started shooting hospital staff..killing two I believe and wounding several others. After the incident, several of the staff realized that this employee was exhibiting major changes in personality just prior to his termination. At least in that case, the suspect was stopped as he entered the parking lot.

I hope they find the guy and he gets the justice he deserves for forever changing the lives of so many people. As several of you have already stated, it is up to all of us to be attentive during these difficult times and hopefully we can stop something like this from happening.